PDA

View Full Version : Just a cam belt or the whole nine yards?

EBT Dad
19-06-2009, 12:20 AM
Hi Folks.

I've just joined the forum. So I cut and paste this from my introduction post in the newbie section. I hope that's ok?

Regards Jez

Hi Folks,

I have recently purchased a 1996 N reg Vento 1.9TDi. It kinda came my way in a rush....... My (Purchased brand new Mazda) was written off just after Christmas 2008 and I needed a run around whilst my insurance company got their act together and coughed up a cheque.

To cut a long story short. It's now June 09 and I have no plans to get rid of the Vento! It's my first deisel car and "I love it!"....... It's not fast or particularly stylish but it seems rock solidly built and appears to be doing approx 64mpg on a run. I don't have to worry about where I park it or about how much it's depreciating in value on a monthly basis cos I get the impression it'll be worth what I paid for it for years :Blush:

Anyway....... Moving onto why I've joined the forum. The car's done just under 116,000 miles & I've been advised it's due for a cam belt at 120,000? However I've also been advised that all the tensioners and other pulleys "MUST" also be replaced at the same time? BUT I've also been told by somebody else that it's not so important that this is done on older VW diesels....... So as I guess you folks are the experts. Please can you tell me if I need to do an entire replacement job of the timing belt set up or will a new cam belt surfice?

Incase you hadn't already got the idea that I'm impressed with my new transport :Blush: I'm now totaly convinced by VW's build quality! I've always said I'd only ever buy Jap or German and never buy French or Italian. However now I reckon it "Could" be German only from now on?

Regards Jez

PS....Is it ok if I just cut and paste this straight into you tech questions section?

PPS.... I hope my comment re my Vento being "Not very stylish" didn't offend anyone. I genuinely LOVE it. It's just my dearly departed Mazda was purchased new. So intialy I felt that I'd taken a step backward. 6 Months later though I realise I've just been trowing my money away on new cars for far too many years :Blush:

towcestervag
19-06-2009, 01:45 PM
check my reply in other section