PDA

View Full Version : Passenger Door Handle

neilc
05-04-2007, 10:14 AM
I'm having a problem with the passenger door handle on my '02 Passat Sport.
When you pull the external handle the door opens about one inch and catches. The second pull opens the door OK. (Just to confuse the issue - it doesn't always happen - about 90%) I'm guessing that there is slack in the cable ?
If you look at the external handle when it's pulled open, you can see the end of the cable - is ther a way of retensioning the cable from the outside of the car?

Kaiser2000
08-04-2007, 07:34 PM
My 02 TDI Passat does the same thing - same door too. I recently got it serviced and it seemed ok for about a week after this, although now it's happening again. Less frequently than before (maybe every 1 in 3 times) but always only when the doors are first unlocked.

I remember reading somewhere that this was an issue with this model? Doesn't stop it being annoying though!

Lex Luthor
08-04-2007, 08:04 PM
If you look at the external handle when it's pulled open, you can see the end of the cable - is ther a way of retensioning the cable from the outside of the car?

Just above the door lock, covered by the door seal, is a torx-T20 setscrew that secures the blanking cover at the rear of the handle.
Slacken it off, remove the cover, and you can adjust the cable by repositioing the cable end.

Col
08-04-2007, 09:22 PM
Just above the door lock, covered by the door seal, is a torx-T20 setscrew that secures the blanking cover at the rear of the handle.
Slacken it off, remove the cover, and you can adjust the cable by repositioing the cable end.

As Mr Luther has said but in addition...

The adjustment is via the cable end being a square plastic 'nipple' with serated edges, these edges locate in a corresponding square receptical also with serations. Adjustment is via moving the cable serated 'nipple' out so that it grabs the next set of serations.

All done once the lock barrel is out.

neilc
11-04-2007, 10:07 PM
Thanks Big Col (and you too Lex)
I'll give it a try on the weekend