PDA

View Full Version : B7 problems

El Dingo
05-04-2007, 09:39 AM
Audi finally seem to acknowledge that the B7 A4 has 'faulty' climate control. Our local dealer has been inundated with compliants about this - make sure that you let your dealer know if you are unhappy with your climate control system. Symptoms are poor temperature control generally, especially in hot weather, and total occasional loss of control during a long journey, leading to the cabin getting colder in cold weather and hotter during hot weather. As Audi get a handle on this, it's likely that they will only recall and apply a fix where the customer has complained...

Second problem - high position of the brake pedal. For those with long legs (like me) this is actually dangerous. If I set the seat so that I can floor the clutch pedal, I can't actually hit the brake pedal in an emergency, my foot gets caught on the side of the pedal. Anyone else suffer with this?

Third problem - seat bolsters are too close together, so I feel like I'm sitting on them rather in in them. Metal frame inside the bolsters digs into my thighs. :(

Fourth problem - S-line suspension too 'bouncy' on undulating motorway surfaces. (This has been extensively reported in the motoring press).

Fifth problem - 2.0 diesel engine suffers from 'too much torque too late' syndrome. Engine is also 'tractor-like'. Drive a 2.0T petrol, and it's like a totally different car.

Comments?

thescruff
05-04-2007, 11:59 PM
I've only had my A4 2.0 TDi SE for a few weeks now (replacing my A4 2.4 petrol in which I covered 130k miles in 6 years) so I can't comment on the climate control yet but it's certainly something I'll watch out for.

I don't find the brake pedal a problem but I've got multitronic transmission so there's no clutch pedal.

I tried the S-line and didn't fit into the seat, the SE seats are wider between the seat bolsters but are still a snug fit. What I do have trouble with is the strengthening across the top of the door, I have to have the seat quite low to avoid banging my head on it on tight corners, in fact the door hole seems a lot smaller than my previous car but then it's probably a lot safer.

No problem with the suspension so far, most of my mileage is on twisty A and B roads.

The 'too much torque too late' syndrome is a real problem. Pulling across a junction is a bit like being in a Fiat Panda towing a caravan then after 5 yards there's enough torque to spin the wheels and bring in the traction control. I'm still trying to work out a technique for getting the revs up before the multitronic trips in - anyone got round this?

David

RickT
06-04-2007, 02:05 AM
Audi finally seem to acknowledge that the B7 A4 has 'faulty' climate control. Our local dealer has been inundated with compliants about this - make sure that you let your dealer know if you are unhappy with your climate control system. Symptoms are poor temperature control generally, especially in hot weather, and total occasional loss of control during a long journey, leading to the cabin getting colder in cold weather and hotter during hot weather. As Audi get a handle on this, it's likely that they will only recall and apply a fix where the customer has complained...

This is a strange issue you are reporting here... i say tyhis because the climate control unit is the same as the B6 from 2001... no reported issues on the B6, as you know the B7 is the same Car as the B6, just with a facelifted body.. (also the sub frame is a little different)

I would be intrested to see if they have made any sort of amendments to the wiring or set up... but Audi dont norrmally make any changes unless these an issue??

Second problem - high position of the brake pedal. For those with long legs (like me) this is actually dangerous. If I set the seat so that I can floor the clutch pedal, I can't actually hit the brake pedal in an emergency, my foot gets caught on the side of the pedal. Anyone else suffer with this?

This depends on the engine... ie.. TDI.. due to the type of clutch.. the biting point is low.. on the petrol model it tends to be "Feels" about an extra inch or so up..

When you say you foot hits the side of the pedal... are you talking right foot breaking? or clutch to left foot breaking??
- as i have never had an issue with either..

Third problem - seat bolsters are too close together, so I feel like I'm sitting on them rather in in them. Metal frame inside the bolsters digs into my thighs.

I guess this depends on the size of your bones, :Blush: - Im no skin and bones.. 14 stone, and fit into the Sport seats in my A4 B6 quiet nice.. however my Dad has a B6 SE and i find the seats in that a little unsupportive compared...
(i am under the impression the seats have not changed)

Fourth problem - S-line suspension too 'bouncy' on undulating motorway surfaces. (This has been extensively reported in the motoring press).

This is a hit and miss question heard a few times before..... if you think the S-line is too boucy... Drive an SE for the day... you will soon realise that you made the correct choice.. . you notice a lot more body roll compared.. ( The s-line set up is not F1 car.. but it is 20mm lower and a little harder)

Fifth problem - 2.0 diesel engine suffers from 'too much torque too late' syndrome. Engine is also 'tractor-like'. Drive a 2.0T petrol, and it's like a totally different car.

is this the 140BHP.. 170BHP?? The 140bhp picks up ok...does suffer from a bit of turbo lag... however the higher the BHP on this lump the longer the delay.. Just going to have to learn to wind then REV's to 3k before dipping the clutch!! then you have the issue of the ESP kicking in and bringing you to a hault over a junction!! ...

Any questions or feedback Welcome..

RicKT

Pilot Pete
18-04-2007, 08:32 PM
Hi there

Just stumbled across this site when I typed in 'Audi A4 heater problems' to Google and it appears that I am not alone! My 2.0TDi S-Line (55 plate) today would only throw out cold air, even with the temperature turned up to 28C. So is there a known problem? I shall have to check it in to my local dealer (again) for them to investigate.

They are already looking at another problem I have, which is that the revs drop to 800rpm occassionally when you come to a halt, say at a junction or lights. Normal tickover is 900rpm (on the rev counter) and the drop is noticeable as the engine seems to hunt and it feels like it is is going to stall. It never does stall and rectifies itself after about 10 seconds. They said there were no fault codes reported on their diagnostic machine and said to book it in for investigation. I did this after taking an engineer out for a drive and demonstrating the problem. Trouble was, when it went in I guess it was another engineer who looked at it and you guessed it "no fault found"!

They say there is an ECU re-map coming out this week and to book it in to receive that as it 'may' sort the problem.

So anyone else had either of these problems and know the fix (so I can tell the Audi dealer:1zhelp: !)

Cheers and nice forum.

PP

El Dingo
18-04-2007, 09:08 PM
Re: Clutch bite point - this is not what I mean when I refer to the position of the brake pedal. IMHO the brake pedal is simply set too high and too far back. In other words, I have to set the seat very far back to be able to hit the pedal in an emergency - so far so that I cannot fully depress the clutch pedal, even at full reach. This makes town driving very tiring.

Re: S-line suspension. I have since driven a 56 plate s-line, and the suspension has been improved beyond recognition. The lesson here is 'Don't buy an s-line from the '05 model year - the '06 suspension is better'.

Re: Turbo lag. Yes, that's it exactly! The torque arrives too much, too late. I've also driven a 2.0T petrol, and I wish I'd bought that instead - it's like a totally different car! Very nice engine.

Re: Heater/Aircon. I'm waiting for our hard-working local dealer to see what Audi will come up with...

skymaster
03-05-2007, 12:34 AM
I drive a 2003 B6 and I find the climate control a bit weak to be honest. The old Climatronic on my golf was way better and nice and simple. It's not really awful but just not as good as I expected from such a car as the A4.

With regards the problem with the new TDIs having loads of lag I think the only hope here is that Audi realise people are not happy and try and fix it on future builds or by releasing an ecu update for it. They do monitor warranty complaints so it could be a good idea to let Audi know how you feel.

El Dingo
03-05-2007, 11:06 AM
Yep, the car goes in next week - Audi want it for three days to try to get to the bottom of the aircon problem.

RickT
04-05-2007, 11:39 PM
let us know the outcome on this one..

Cheers

RicKT

Pilot Pete
14-05-2007, 10:55 PM
Mine has been in today for the tickover and Climate Control problem. Links of Macclesfield had the car for the day and appear to have fixed both problems; The engine fault has been cured by a re-map of the ECU which came out a week or two back from Audi.

The climate control is now controlling the temperature correctly (as it did a few weeks back) but they didn't tell me what they did to fix it!

My only gripe is that they have put 70 miles on the clock! I questioned this and they came up with a 'check-in' document that had the current mileage on it, and they said that is recorded when they take the car in. I am adamant that I didn't make a mistake, but it's their word against mine. I also reset the trip counter before I went in, but it said 293 milwes when I got it back?!?:mad:

PP

RickT
14-05-2007, 11:32 PM
My only gripe is that they have put 70 miles on the clock! I questioned this and they came up with a 'check-in' document that had the current mileage on it, and they said that is recorded when they take the car in. I am adamant that I didn't make a mistake, but it's their word against mine. I also reset the trip counter before I went in, but it said 293 milwes when I got it back?!?:mad:

PP

Thats a strange one... i would monitor your mileage from now on to ensure that its clocking the correct miles up..

When my Dad got his A4 b6.. he did a route to Watford which hes done for many years and the Audi clocked it at 25 miles more.. He took it into the garage and they advised that the car/cluster had been set up with the incorrect wheel size..

I also thought the mileage on the Audis was from the gearbox rather than wheel set up......

RickT

El Dingo
15-05-2007, 07:19 PM
Thats a strange one... i would monitor your mileage from now on to ensure that its clocking the correct miles up..

When my Dad got his A4 b6.. he did a route to Watford which hes done for many years and the Audi clocked it at 25 miles more.. He took it into the garage and they advised that the car/cluster had been set up with the incorrect wheel size..

I also thought the mileage on the Audis was from the gearbox rather than wheel set up......

RickT

Maybe it's set up for km?

doru31
28-05-2007, 11:34 PM
Hi, I just got a 2007 A4 quattro. I noticed that whenever I go over bigger potholes or speed-bumps, even at 5 mph, the front suspension makes clicking and clunking noises. I am just wondering if anyone has experienced this before and if it is normal. I'll ask the dealer to take a look at it when I go for my first 5k service. Thanks for all your replies.

RickT
28-05-2007, 11:48 PM

RickT

Maybe it's set up for km?

no... The trip is normally about 215 miles..

1 mile = 1.609344 km-

RickT

Lee_m
29-05-2007, 08:36 PM
Yep we also have a B6 2.5TDI with a SH!T Climate Control!!!!
It never gets cold enough and it only goes down to 18c the B7 goes down to 16c now!"we have just bought a B7 S4"

On the B6 you can hear the Climate Control motors in the dash moving all the air vents again! its went back to Audi 3 times and each time they said "sorry sir there nothing wrong with it!":zx11:

I hope the B7 S4 we've just bought isn't going to be the same! we pick it up next week!:biglaugh:

doru31
16-06-2007, 10:06 PM
Hi, I just got a 2007 A4 quattro. I noticed that whenever I go over bigger potholes or speed-bumps, even at 5 mph, the front suspension makes clicking and clunking noises. I am just wondering if anyone has experienced this before and if it is normal. I'll ask the dealer to take a look at it when I go for my first 5k service. Thanks for all your replies.
The front suspension noise was due to the Transport Blocks which the dealer forgot to remove. Once they removed them, the noise was gone.

skymaster
16-06-2007, 10:09 PM
Great!! Glad to hear the dealers did a good PDI on the car then.... You get any freebies out of this one? I would suggest your first service should be a free one.

McKipper
15-07-2007, 06:48 PM
2007 A4 2.0 TDI CVT, stunning vehicle – except for the surprise wheelspin when the torque kicks in 3 seconds after pulloff. Question – anyone else have a bumping thumping noise (sounds like a loose object in the boot even when the boot is empty). Generally when tank is between ¾ and ¼ full. Can it really be the diesel thumping like that ?

Also suffered the poor PDI – mine was not adjusted to show 15K service interval – had to take it back to be reset, but only after my local dealer "lost" my booking twice :(

El Dingo
15-07-2007, 10:37 PM
2007 A4 2.0 TDI CVT, stunning vehicle – except for the surprise wheelspin when the torque kicks in 3 seconds after pulloff. Question – anyone else have a bumping thumping noise (sounds like a loose object in the boot even when the boot is empty). Generally when tank is between ¾ and ¼ full. Can it really be the diesel thumping like that ?

Also suffered the poor PDI – mine was not adjusted to show 15K service interval – had to take it back to be reset, but only after my local dealer "lost" my booking twice :(
Yes, it's the fuel thumping.