PDA

View Full Version : Audi A6 v A4 S Line or SE?

IRP2010
17-06-2009, 10:45 PM
Hi all

My very first post on here so bear with me. I am considering buying either an A4 or A6, budget is 14 or 15k, have almost decided to go with A6 2 or 3 year old but wondering what is the real difference between the SE and S Line models. I know its a different trim and suspension is better on S Line but not being a massive officianado of all things Audi do you think it would make much difference to me.

Any advice on A6's from any owners would be much appreciated!

cheers

paul b
18-06-2009, 12:37 AM
Hi all

My very first post on here so bear with me. I am considering buying either an A4 or A6, budget is 14 or 15k, have almost decided to go with A6 2 or 3 year old but wondering what is the real difference between the SE and S Line models. I know its a different trim and suspension is better on S Line but not being a massive officianado of all things Audi do you think it would make much difference to me.

Any advice on A6's from any owners would be much appreciated!

cheers
A6 all the way. I know A6 owners who say once you've had an A6 and you go down to an A4, you'll always miss the space you had in the A6.

But obviously I'm biased. :p

As for SE or S-Line, do you prefer good looks or ride quality? The S-Line has a stupidly hard ride, but looks a lot better, and the S-Line interior pack is lovely.

Personally, I'd buy an A6 S-Line (oh if I had the money!) and change the springs to an Eibach Pro Kit which aren't as stupidly hard.

Having said all this, whats your current car? If you're used to something with a stiff ride then an S-Line might not be such a problem.

Paul

IRP2010
18-06-2009, 09:06 AM
Thanks Paul. Well I'm making a big jump in quality as I have a small peugeot at the moment so the hard ride won't be that much of an issue. The wife will be driving it most of the time so good looks probably come first!

The other things I'm still weighing up are for what it will cost for a 2-3 yr old a6 could get a standard new car, or for much cheaper a passat. I'm 90% dcided on an a6 ....just need to get a good deal now!

sward
18-06-2009, 10:11 PM
Hi,

I bought a 56 plate 2.0tdi A6 SE saloon from Audi a couple of months ago with 40k on the clock, sat nav, metallic, and parking sensors for £11,400. Having covered 11000 miles in that time I really like the ride quality of the SE although the performance is a little lacking at times. By way of a comparison I had one of the new A6 2.0 TDIe's as a courtesy car when mine was in for a service. These come with 18" wheels and sports suspension and although the ride quality was still good it was noticebly stiffer and less comforatble than mine. It all depends on how many miles you are likely to cover and how your back will handle the stiffer ride quality of the S Line.

Regarding going for a newer car or a Passat, I imagine that you would struggle to find something which offers the same space and refinement as the A6 for the money I paid for mine. If I were to buy again and had £14 or £15k to spend I would go for the same car, remap it, and pocket the extra £3k, or go for a 2.7 SE. I really like the front spoiler and the alloys on the S Lines but I always think the two models look too similar from the outside.

You pays your money........

IRP2010
18-06-2009, 10:51 PM
Thanks Sward.

Very useful info. £11400? Having not spent this much money on a car I am being ultra careful on what I want and where I get it from. Also I think I maybe gettting caught up too much on the low mileage issue. With a diesel as long as its in good nick 40,000 aint too bad is it really. I seem to be narrowing my search to upto about 30000 hence the price probably goes up.

I was looking for a Passat for ages then A4 came into the mix and then I thought hang on for the space and quality, not too mention the same if not cheaper price the A6 would be a serious possibility.

I do want it to look good but will weigh up whether its worth paying the extra for the S Line for that....as well as obviously test driving.

If anyone sees any good deals lemme know!!

Thanks

JimC64
19-06-2009, 01:30 AM
Hi there......A6 all the way, you'll love it. Having said that I was in the " newer" A4 recently ( which would not be what you're going for I guess ) and its been revamped / improved, certainly more space than I remeber from 3-4 years ago.
I drive the A6 2.0 Tdi SE and love it. The suspension offers much more give on the SE and is very very comfortable. Having driven the Sline which is hunkered down low ( looks slightly meaner ) and I do love the seating with the S line logos n all that, but just don't know if I could live with that suspension ALL day long every day.......maybe 20 years ago or as a track kinda car but not as a daily driver I don't think ( no offence to Sline drivers here by the way )

I was in Stirling Audi a few days ago and they had around 4 or 5 A6 2.0 Tdi's SE with around 30k on the clock for around the £13k mark if I remember rightly. looked in pretty good shape with sat nav and parking assist too I think in a choice of colours.

Anyways......its all down to you.....Pleased let us know how you get on and what choices you make.

All the best

Jim

sward
20-06-2009, 08:19 AM
As an aside, my car has been at the dealers for the last couple of days to replace the clutch plates and I they gave me one of the new A4 2.0Tdi SE Avant's as a courtesy car.

Many of the reviews I have read about the new A4 say that it is almost as big as the A6 and offers better ride quality compared to previous Audi's, therefore potentially undermining the need for an A6. Whilst the new diesel engine is much quieter than the old 2 litre lump, the performance and economy were not significantly different, but after getting back into my car after driving the A4 for 450 miles I realised that the A6 is far smoother and quieter than the new A4 and I was glad to get back into mine.

That's my two penneth anyway. Conclusion. A6 is a better can than I realised.

proff999
20-06-2009, 10:54 AM
I'll second that sward. Had a brand new A4 2.0tdi s line avant for 2 weeks now as my A6 (2005) is at the dealers being repaired. I find the quality of the interior in my old A6 is far superior to the new A4. As for space the A6 again wins hands down with regard to rear passengers and also has a large boot.

proff999
20-06-2009, 11:00 AM
FYI, Just seen a 2007 2.7tdi s line, 26,000 on the clock for £14,995 at Worthing Audi. All the toys etc. Fantastic value!

IRP2010
20-06-2009, 12:07 PM
14995? Sounds interesting I will check their website. I think I have been persuaded by the a6! From what u guys say I think it's imperative that I test drive the Se and s line. I'm just determined not to get ripped off,but then I could also be here forever!

fruitbat
22-06-2009, 01:54 PM
You could go for compromise and swap the low-profile rubber on the S-line for a 16" wheel and get 75% of the ride quality of the SE, whilst retaining the s-line seats, interior additions etc. Plus 16" tyres are half the price and last longer.

Stew_J
22-06-2009, 06:19 PM
Well for what its worth, I've had a 2.7 TDI S Line A6 since September but for the last 4 weeks have been driving an 09 3.0 TDI SE quattro as a courtesy car.

Observations:
I miss my S Line something rotten! Even the misses agrees that even though the quattro is practically a brand new car, it somehow doesn't feel anywhere near as refined inside...
Ride - prefer the S Line "sporty" feel
Ride height - somehow the SE looks "jacked up" compared to the S Line even though it has the same size wheels!

Interior...I miss the following:
Heated mirrors
Folding mirrors
Comfortable, more adjustable seats
"proper" parking system front and rear with display so you can actually see where something is in relation to the car.
Quieter
Oh and extra toys like the light pack that gives a nice ambient glow under the seats and door trims etc at night :-)

I do a lot of motorway cruising so can't really comment on the harshness of the suspension on the S Line, yes its tight, but not overly so I would say...I regularly do 150 miles without a break, and compared to my Vauxhall Vectra (now there's a nasty car!!) when I get out the other end, I don't feel that much different to when I got in!

Not sure if that will be of any use, but I would definitely try and do a deal on an S Line if I were you.

audinut
22-06-2009, 07:10 PM
There's probably no way to know for yourself until you try both. I drive an A6 SE which I think is a little too sloppy but is just the shocks needing replacing. On the other hand I had a lift in a friend's A4 S line recently around Leeds and I thought they'd forgotten to fit the springs. Just seemed to be on the shocker's end stops all the time. Clarkson mentioned something similar on the Top Gear article about the new TT (filmed in Iceland).
So as each owner seems happy(ish) with theirs its probably best to go out in both. Try a dealer. They might actually oblige (given the current climate).

ac606
25-06-2009, 10:34 AM
Until last week, I had a remapped 53 plate A4 1.9tdi Quattro Sport Avant - which is the same as the S line. I've just this week moved to a 3.0tdi Quattro A6 SE. What do I miss from the A4? Well the seats for starters, I definately prefer the S line seats, also the handling of the A4 would certainly enspire you.
But you've got to remember the A6 is a very different car, I don't really want to go flying around corvers in it, it is more of a mile eater as opposed to a B road sports car. Would I have bought an A6 S line? I couldn't justify the extra £2000 they seem to cost secondhand for really just a pair of seats and stiffer suspension. Okay ther look better, bigger wheels with more expensive tyres.....I'm more than happy with the A6, acceleration is stellar and yes it's getting remapped shortly!! it's even returning pretty good fuel consumption, averaging 37, whereas the A4 was giving around 42.

audinut
28-06-2009, 05:21 PM
OK now I'm lucky enough to do a direct comparison. My A6 SE is in with Audi for a drivers seat short and they've lent me a 58 plate A4 avant 2.0 TDi S-Line (245x45x18).
My thoughts of the S-Line over the SE ?
The suspension/ride of the S-Line is very very good on A and B roads (would LOVE to try a quattro S-line). It gets a bit rocky on the M5 though (side to side rocking of my head most noticeable which gets a bit wearing after a while). But then back on A roads and its back to a very good ride. Also the seats are indeed better for fit and comfort with a little tab at the front to extend and put your feet up for really relaxed driving :biglaugh:
Performance was sufficient but not stunning and I suspect a remap/DPT chip would sort that.
So overall excellent for A roads but wearing on Motorways. As was stated earlier I'll stick with SE for mile eating distances but will always be aware of one of these that comes up behind me on a windy B road :D

IRP2010
28-06-2009, 11:22 PM
Definitely plenty to think about there! I still have to test drive them both (little girls 1st Birthday taken priority this week!) - I did nip into Audi Leeds and sat in an SE....the drivers seat seemed a little high to me? Then again I am used to a Peugeot 206.

Latest update is Im going to have a look at an auction next week, there are a 3-4 black a6's 2-3 years old going through (including a 2.7 s line) so am keen to see what they go for....

nichdexter
29-06-2009, 04:31 PM
A6 all the way, much more fun than a bouncy A4, if you had the money get an s-line, but even if you get an SE the ride and the power is still great!

IRP2010
09-07-2009, 10:38 PM
Quick update on where I am at all! I think through my research I have narrowed my spec to wanting a 2.0 TDI SE in Black but with Leather Seats! I know you shouldnt be to specific but this is what I want.

Went to a VWAudi auction the other day and an 07 leather seats with about 38,000 went for £13,200 all in. So this is my benchmark!

I am in no great rush to jump in so happy to wait until the right one comes along.

nemerkh
10-07-2009, 05:15 PM
My man.. I dont think you should even compare the A6 with A4; its a totally different ride. Different interior and looks.
A6 is way much better and nicer. S- line A4 wont compensate the inferiority to the A6. good luck. A6, peace out..

nichdexter
10-07-2009, 05:24 PM
My man.. I dont think you should even compare the A6 with A4; its a totally different ride. Different interior and looks.
A6 is way much better and nicer. S- line A4 wont compensate the inferiority to the A6. good luck. A6, peace out..

so agree here! the A6 has far more luxury than the A4, its beautiful and glides rather than being ugly and stumbles....though either way you cant deny yourself the pleasure of an Audi, regardless of model!!

IRP2010
18-07-2009, 02:50 PM
Wonder what peoples opinion is of this:

http://www.topcarsales.co.uk/stock/detailU23662.html

Pretty much the car I want but it needs 2 new front tyres (looks like they have intentionally taken them off) and a service as well. Only thing putting me off was that I wasnt overly impressed with the dealer.....looked a bit dodgy!

sward
18-07-2009, 10:04 PM
About 4 months ago Northampton Audi had a 56 plate A6 2.0TDi SE in black with leather. It had 35k on the clock and they were selling it it £12995. Unless you're desperate to change why don't you hang on and get one from Audi. At least it'll come with 12 months warranty and you can be sure that it will have been serviced and the tyres changed if needed?

IRP2010
18-07-2009, 11:00 PM
It would be preferable to buy from Audi - I didnt realise they gave a 12month warranty? Is this standard with approved cars? I have been waiting a while so in no immediate rush I suppose. Just want to get the right car!

boltona
20-07-2009, 10:14 AM
Just to add my experiences. I went from driving a 2002 A4 saloon to a 55 plate A6 Avant SE - poverty spec 2.4 V6, and the reason for this was the extra space, most imprtantly in the back seats.

While it still remains that you couldn't describe the back seat as more than 2 + 1 child the amount of legroom on offer compared to the A4 is a major improvement.

One of the key reasons for my change of car (and this is now almost a year ago) was the cost - traded in the A4 for £3k, and walked away with the A6 for total cost of £5,500 (Screen price £8,500) which I thought represented good value for money especially for an automatic.

I have since had parking sensors put on and installed a Dension iPod kit - so now have comfort and refinement to my hearts content. Although I wouldn't say the car is fast it will cruise quite happily, and returns high 20's - low 30's for consumption which is not too bad - much more on decent runs rather than round town. In SE spec the A6 Avant is not setup as a sporty car, although perfectly quick, but in comfort you would be hard pushed to beat it. Obviously this is based on my experiences with a 2.4 petrol - other engines may differ (although power is not lacking handling is not as tight as it could be).

But back to the A4 vs A6 debate - it boils down to whether you need the space or not - rear legroom in particular. If you do, then it is a case of A6 all the way. If not I would probably stick with an A4 again - why carry round all the extra weight if you don't need to.

stuart0703
18-08-2009, 08:08 AM
Firstly a quick hello as a new member. I'm looking for a similar car to IRP2010, so this thread has given me some great advice.

Just wondered how you were getting on with your search IRP2010?

IRP2010
18-08-2009, 02:24 PM
Hi Stuart

Update on where I am at. Just to confirm what I am looking for:

06 or later
in Black (preferably Phantom Black)
SE spec with Black Leather interior
Upto 40000 miles
£14500 max

I seem to be having trouble finding all of this (in a good deal) WITH the leather. Have been to auctions and missed one that was 07 with black leather and 40000 on the clock which went for £13200. I think there will be definitely more around in September with the new regs coming out but something that Leeds Audi mentioned to me as a possibility if I cant find the car with the leather was to get it installed and fitted after. This would cost £1000+ vat through Audi (obviously contracted out) - I wonder if anyone has had this done at all? Is it worth it? The leather seems to push the price up a bit (S Line a bit more).

I have not seen one that I have thought "I have to have that" so not really got to the stage of haglling yet.

I know I am being a bit picky on what I want but its taken me this long I may as well wait until the right one comes. Also never spent this much on a car before so determined not to get ripped off!

Stuart be happy to hear your experiences as well. What are your exact requirements and have you had much luck?

stuart0703
18-08-2009, 08:31 PM
In a fairly similar postion to you.

I set off with the idea that I'd look for a S Line. However, finding one for a reasonable price that isn't looking shabby and tired has been really difficult.

Most have mileage in the late 70,000 and early 80,000. I found one excellent example in Bolton, but hesitated a day too long:(

Decided instead to concentrate on an SE as these seem, in general, to be lower mileage. I'm a bit less fussy with the colour as I'd look at silver too, but apart from that we're pretty much on the same page.

Again, looking for everything i want is proving difficult, so was looking at getting an example without leather and then get it added later. I've found a company in shipley that does this for a similar price to Audi. I once had this done on a 3 series some years ago and the finished product was much better than an original BMW interior. Unfortunately, the guy who did it isn't there anymore (Lumb Lane in Bradford). At the time he charged me £600 and even fitted a new carpet!

IRP2010
18-08-2009, 11:42 PM
Yes I have come across a company online who have quoted 995+vat as well. May be a possibility to haggle this a bit though. Take it you are in Bradford?I'm n Leeds - if by chance we both bUy without leather at the same time then may be a Oportunity to haggle a trim installation company to give a bigger discount if done together?just a thought.

Will let you know if I see anything for you. What's your budget?

mark968
19-08-2009, 07:50 AM
Quite a few people on another forum I frequent have used these people (http://www.transformleather.co.uk/) and say the results are excellent. The web site is v poor (under construction me thinks) but they do off the shelf and bespoke kits for lots more cars than those mentioned, so might be worth talking to them for a price. Off the top of my head I seem to remember a leather interior for a new shape Honda CR-V was 800 notes plus the dreaded VAT.

IRP2010
19-08-2009, 06:11 PM
Thanks for that. I have got in touch with them and they say 950+vat for an Audi a6. Seems to be around the standard price

IRP2010
13-09-2009, 09:32 PM
Stuart0703 how are you getting on with your search? have you found an a6 yet? im still struggling for 1 reason or another

stuart0703
14-09-2009, 12:37 PM
Stuart0703 how are you getting on with your search? have you found an a6 yet? im still struggling for 1 reason or another

Hi,

My quest ended two weeks ago in Sheffield and I'm now the owner of a 2006 SE in Akoya Silver. I have ended up with a 3.0TDI Quattro though:D

The drive is excellent and the power unbelievable. It came with leather/ alcantara S line seats and only 32k on the clock.

Had a customer looking out for one for me and he really struggled. A couple of days before I bough mine, there was a similar one at Leeds Audi and it went in 24 hours!

Ended up at an independant garage for mine. Ok, no Audi warranty, but I think I got a good deal

IRP2010
14-09-2009, 10:23 PM
Nice one!a combination of reasons means I am without1yet. Going to an auction tomorrow so hopeful. I think I will prob have to cut back on some of my requirements to get something soon!

stuart0703
15-09-2009, 10:32 AM
Good luck with the auction. Like you I really struggled to get everything on my wish list, so just had to work out what I could live without. Things like the functions on the MMI can be upgraded later, so I struck off ipod connectors and sat nav fairlyt early on.

Thing is, second hand values are alos rising at the moment, so getting a bargain is even harder. I also found that dealers were less likely to negotiate.

IRP2010
29-11-2009, 04:26 PM
Well my search finally ended last week when I got pretty much the car that I wanted. A little over budget but still a good deal compared to the prices that have been around the last 6 months

Briefly

A6 2.0TDI
Phantom Black
Volterra Leather
Bose System
Parking sensors
17000 miles

From an Audi dealer as well. I know what you are all saying about the quality of the drive now! Very happy indeed. Just goes to show if you do wait around then one you want will come along sooner or later. Thanks for the previous bits of advice etc

nemerkh
29-11-2009, 05:17 PM
as an A6 owner, having had the A6 2.0 tdi SE for a year now, i would advice you to get either lexus rx300 or the touareg (VW) for that money. not that i hate my a6, i love it to bits, but for such money you can get something better i believe. good luck anyways. o yes, and id gor definetly for the sline 170 bhp as opposed to 143 on the 2.0 tdi se.

MFGF
30-11-2009, 12:31 PM
Well my search finally ended last week when I got pretty much the car that I wanted. A little over budget but still a good deal compared to the prices that have been around the last 6 months

Briefly

A6 2.0TDI
Phantom Black
Volterra Leather
Bose System
Parking sensors
17000 miles

From an Audi dealer as well. I know what you are all saying about the quality of the drive now! Very happy indeed. Just goes to show if you do wait around then one you want will come along sooner or later. Thanks for the previous bits of advice etc

Congratulations on your new purchase!

Is the car an SE then? Pre or post facelift?

o yes, and id gor definetly for the sline 170 bhp as opposed to 143 on the 2.0 tdi se.

The pre-facelift 2.0TDi cars were all fitted with the 140 PD engine. Post facelift, the choice is 136 CR TDie or 170 CR TDi.

MF.

paddysdad
30-11-2009, 06:08 PM
Having just changed from an A4 to a new A6 and having had both at home for a couple of weeks, we found them very different cars. Both 3.0 Tdi, but MUCH more space in the A6 and 2 teenage kids are far more comfortable, car also seems much quieter, but is very much bigger to 'drive', not as much fun and feels slower (A4 was only 18months old - so same engine) we just changes due to shorage of space.
A6 also seems to be a bit better value, espaecially second hand.

IRP2010
01-12-2009, 09:47 AM
The car I bought was the pre face lift model and is an SE spec. I'm not used to such a big car but I feel I have made the right choice.

Just need to get a grip on looking after it and driving it in the most efficient manner!! I can imagine the A4 being a bit nippier due to its size, but the A6, once it gets going shifts a bit as well.

bosworth
02-04-2011, 05:59 PM
Hi
Had 3 A4s and now 59 plate A6. choose s line only if under 50 years of age, very hard suspension and rather a shock after owning an SE. Need to be a boy racer to appreciate it .A4 lacks rear passenger room. Excellent fuel consumption and great car. Now have A6 again excellent car, more room all round but have issues with fuel consumption. This may be a fault on my car but have yet to have it checked out. Check the computer average mpg before you purchase .If you are 6 foot or near go for the A6
Cheers paul

Guest 2
02-04-2011, 06:52 PM
^ Epic thread bump???