PDA

View Full Version : Vagcom brief

paddymm
04-04-2007, 09:46 PM
Can any of you fine people give me a very brief lowdown of what i can and cant do with vagcom. I am a keen DIY er when it comes to my '95 Audi A4 and have just ordered the vagcom key usb cable from USA which will be compatible with version 409 of vagcom. I know its not the latest version or the most singing and dancing of equipment but its an old car and I just want to be able to diagnose and reset faults. Will this set up do the job or am I setting myself up with a right pile of poo. I intend to download 409 and register the soft ware from rosstech...is this the way ahead or is there a better /cheaper option.
Thanks very much in advance.
paddy.

Sam
05-04-2007, 09:13 AM
No one can say it better than the makers themselves;

www.ross-tech.com

paddymm
17-04-2007, 09:43 PM
Got cheap ebay cable and unreg version of 409 seems to be enough for the diy bloke (i.e me) so far, thanks very much for the pointer dude.

Sam
18-04-2007, 11:30 AM
Glad to be of service

Stevef.
21-04-2007, 08:43 AM
Hi ,iam also looking to get vagcom any recommendations on where and what to get? Thanks.:)

vwpolo
23-04-2007, 06:31 PM
Hi ,iam also looking to get vagcom any recommendations on where and what to get? Thanks.:)

I got mine last week from http://www.vagproducts.co.uk/ for £15.99 (incl VAT & Del). It came with a CD with VAG-COM s/w (409). It's a USB cable and my laptop automatically found the drivers and installed them (did not need the CD).

Even though it's a USB interface, it's actually a USB to Serial port converter. The drive let's you assign the COM port number for the cable which you will need to tell the VAG-COM s/w.

It worked on my Polo. It found fault code 16786 :( -- something to do with EGR (and the engine light is on). But with the VAG-COM cable (and s/w), I reset the fault code and the light has gone out :D . This is what a cowboy garage would do and probably charge 100's for claiming to fix it !

But I am sure the problem is still there :(

Stevef.
23-04-2007, 06:58 PM
:) [quote=vwpolo;35068]I got mine last week from http://www.vagproducts.co.uk/ for £15.99 (incl VAT & Del). It came with a CD with VAG-COM s/w (409). It's a USB cable and my laptop automatically found the drivers and installed them (did not need the CD).

Hi, thanks for the info very useful.

higgy001
17-04-2008, 10:19 PM
I've just bought a OBD II cable off ebay, downloaded VAGCOM 409.1 to the laptop and plugged it into my 2001 Audi A4.....

....and I got nothing. It won't recognise any controllers. The blue LED on the cable connector lights up and VAGCOM says that the cable on COM3 is working.

Have I missed something in VAGCOM or have I got a dodgy cable?

Can anybody help please?

paul b
17-04-2008, 11:20 PM
I've just bought a OBD II cable off ebay, downloaded VAGCOM 409.1 to the laptop and plugged it into my 2001 Audi A4.....

....and I got nothing. It won't recognise any controllers. The blue LED on the cable connector lights up and VAGCOM says that the cable on COM3 is working.

Have I missed something in VAGCOM or have I got a dodgy cable?

Can anybody help please?
Have you been to COM & LPT under System in the PC control Panel. The cable (when plugged in of course) should appear with a COM number. That COM number might not match as COM 3, so you should try it in another USB slot on your PC until you find which one is labelled as COM 3.

Paul

pebble29
18-02-2010, 08:58 AM
anybody in cork or sourounding areas with a vagcom?