PDA

View Full Version : VW 1.4-litre TSI Twincharger "Engine of the Year"...

zoom
17-06-2009, 04:37 PM
Move over BMW...

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2009/06/vw-wins-2009-international-engine-of.html

J400uk
19-06-2009, 11:17 PM
Good news, since it first came out in 2006 its always been my opinion that the 1.4 TSI is by far the best 4-cylinder petrol on the market. No other manufacturer comes close.

Looking forward to seeing what its like in 180bhp form in the new Seat Ibiza Cupra, should go like a rocket!

Nightowl4933
20-06-2009, 10:06 AM
Well done VW!

I suppose I'm a bit of a prat for not doins so, but I haven't carried out the Diesel vs Petrol calculation before, and I suppose I should have done before I ordered my Golf.

I'm expecting to do about 20k a year, so was a 2.0 diesel the better choice?

Pete

J400uk
20-06-2009, 09:33 PM
Pete - At current fuel prices it will take 27k for the diesel to break even, and after that you are saving money, so yes provided you keep the car for at least 30k it makes sense to get the oil burner.
http://i40.tinypic.com/5vvfk0.jpg

Nightowl4933
20-06-2009, 10:02 PM
Hi j400uk,

Thanks for that. You seem to be paying a lot for diesel where you are! It's 100.9 here in Swindon! Unleaded is 99.9 last time I looked!

Pete

maisbitt
22-06-2009, 09:10 AM
It'll take less time than that to recoup the diesel money, if you take into account the superior residual value on trade in - that diesel will be worth a minimum of £400 more than the petrol version when you trade in at 3 years down the line, assuming that an 11p per litre gap between petrol and diesel doesn't open up again.

Taking 3 year residual values into account, it'll be about 11k miles or 1 year before Diesel starts being more economic than the petrol choice.

nebw
22-06-2009, 09:25 AM
.... but if you go for the DSG versions it will take a lot longer because the mpg figures are something like 52 and 47. If I was going for DSG I think I'd go TSI next time, but there weren't any ex-demo ones around when I was looking.

I also think DSG works better with petrol engines: less jerkiness as it changes down under braking, because the engine offers less resistance to being spun by the clutch. It's very hard to brake smoothly to a halt in a diesel DSG.

J400uk
22-06-2009, 03:34 PM
It'll take less time than that to recoup the diesel money, if you take into account the superior residual value on trade in - that diesel will be worth a minimum of £400 more than the petrol version when you trade in at 3 years down the line, assuming that an 11p per litre gap between petrol and diesel doesn't open up again.

Taking 3 year residual values into account, it'll be about 11k miles or 1 year before Diesel starts being more economic than the petrol choice.

Not necccsarily. Whilst that used to be the case its not always so now. I was looking at 3-year old BMW 530s recently and there was nothing between the petrol and diesel variants. Also the residuals don't matter if your keeping a car for a very long time.

maisbitt
22-06-2009, 03:48 PM
The 11p price difference between petrol and diesel last year caused a softening of used diesel prices. The economy savings were almost negligible at that point (I would never have bought another TDI if that gap hadn't closed).

Now that the gap has closed again to its traditional 2p gap, diesel used prices are on the up again, and you will see better residuals as a result.

J400uk
22-06-2009, 04:08 PM
The 11p price difference between petrol and diesel last year caused a softening of used diesel prices. The economy savings were almost negligible at that point (I would never have bought another TDI if that gap hadn't closed).

Now that the gap has closed again to its traditional 2p gap, diesel used prices are on the up again, and you will see better residuals as a result.

Its also to do with supply and demand. If there is oversupply of used diesel cars on the market, then that means they drop in value.

Similarily theres no way of knowing for sure what the gap will be in fuel prices come 3 years time, as they could go either way.