PDA

View Full Version : Please Help 1.6 fsi tappet noise

kieraz
17-06-2009, 02:27 PM
Hi there, i am new but need some advice.

I have looked through the forum but could not find anything specific to my problem.

Basically i have a 1.6 fsi 2004 with 50,000 miles, recently had the oil and filter changed all was fine till i started to get a tapping noice on start up. Now being me i removed the sump and cleaned the strainer and also replaced the oil pump too. Tapping noice now continues all the time. Been told that i might need to put an original vw oil filter on as it has a non return valve.
Has anyone had this problem and got a solution otherwise its going to be new tappets and cams for me.

Thanks
Kieraz :1zhelp:

kieraz
17-06-2009, 03:14 PM
i know i have not long added this problem, just just found the cure. The problem basically is when you do an oil flush when you change your oil in builts up air in the tappets, this causes the noise as they do not fill. What you need to do is replace the oil and use a VW only oil filter not an after market one. Because the VW filter has a non return valve to prevent the oil in the cylinder head from returing to the sump.
So basically as i said replace with new oil and original VW filter and then run the car for 20 minutes and the problem is solved.

will let you know if anything arises.

doobs
17-06-2009, 10:48 PM
I have a diesel like clatter noise for about 3 seconds - every 3rd or 4th start up from cold. Is this the same noise that you are refering to or another one?

I have heard various reasons such as timing chain issue, oil pump ,its normal etc. My car is on long life servicing and due next service shortly - I will get it changed to time and distance though as this better suits my driving pattern. Is an oil and filter change (by VW dealer) alone likely to solve this noise? If not, I have an AA Gold mechanical breakdown warranty (which I suspect will probably not cover the timing chain for example anyway!) so if it is a major problem/concern it would be nice to try to get it claimed under the warranty.
Anybody got any up to date advice on this issue as most posts i have read are a little old.

kieraz
18-06-2009, 07:21 AM
hi

The noise could well be the same, as tappets can tap for a couple of seconds on startup. Have been told about the issue on the diesels, cant remember if it was on the mark 4 or 5 but there was an issue with them. tappets can normally get done under warrenty, but i dont believe the diesel engine has a timing chain i think its a belt. Tappet are normally noisy as the oil does on stay in the cylinder head on start up because when you turn your engine off the oil runs back to the sump.

Was your last service done by VW? i will check up on the diesel question. simple thing is to have and oil change i dont believe it is recommended to have a oil flush done on the diesel though which tend to cure this issue.

will check up and post a result hope this helps

kieraz

kieraz
18-06-2009, 07:22 AM
sorry igore my point about the diesel remark, miss read your message.

is the car a 1.6 fsi petrol?

doobs
18-06-2009, 01:20 PM
sorry igore my point about the diesel remark, miss read your message.

is the car a 1.6 fsi petrol?

Sorry should have made clearer - it is a petrol - I believe all FSI engines are petrol anyway

kieraz
18-06-2009, 02:50 PM
well have been told if it taps for only a few seconds on startup it is perfectly fine, the oil basically starts to fill the tappets hence the reason why it only lasts seconds. would recommend using original parts. if the original oil filter does not solve the problem then you would need to start looking at the oil strainer in the sump to see if that is blocked, second thing would be if thats fine would be checking the oil pump, which is quite cheap. If thats not the issue then it would be replacing the tappets, despite them being cheap it is the labour which costs the money.

any more questions just ask.

doobs
18-06-2009, 06:06 PM
well have been told if it taps for only a few seconds on startup it is perfectly fine, the oil basically starts to fill the tappets hence the reason why it only lasts seconds. would recommend using original parts. if the original oil filter does not solve the problem then you would need to start looking at the oil strainer in the sump to see if that is blocked, second thing would be if thats fine would be checking the oil pump, which is quite cheap. If thats not the issue then it would be replacing the tappets, despite them being cheap it is the labour which costs the money.

any more questions just ask.

cheers mate - are you in the trade as you sound knowledgable?

kieraz
18-06-2009, 08:12 PM
i am not in the trade, would not mind being in the trade. no its just that i have had golf and other cars before, and i have taken a keen interest in cars, i always like to know what is going wrong before it happens.