PDA

View Full Version : 5000 Mile Report

james_tiger_woo
16-06-2009, 07:38 PM
It doesn't seem 5 minutes since I did my 1000 mile report and I'm up to 5000 already so here's my opinion of my Golf.

In the last 4000 miles, I've had to put aside some of the things that bug me about the Golf and learn to love or live with them. Mostly, I'm becoming climatised with the car as a place where I spend a lot of time.

The ride is still good - It's soft when it needs to be and firm when I need that too. That's not to say that it's perfect as it's not. It handles the country roads I use really well but isn't keen on the bigger holes (North Lincolnshire's rural roads are pretty shocking) - yesterday I was forced into the edge of a country road which, annoyingly, was at the bottom of a dip and there was a drop and a fairly hefty bang/thud as (I reckon) the suspension bottomed out. (No damage though).

I reckon I could have not bothered with the 18s as they look nice, but probably limit my cornering ability - Go round them too fast and you'll feel it (It's not a GTi after all....).

It's a comfortable place to be - it has to be - I'm in the car up to 2 hours a day. The seats are supportive and comfortable - And I think that it works well for a person of the average height.

The interior space - something I got a bit of grief over - is something I'm adjusting to still. I've dispensed with a lot of crap but still get good use out of the storage pockets. I maintain that the storage could be improved as there's plenty of "dead" space that could be better and more intelligently utilised - Why aren't the storage draws standard, for example, there's a great big space under the front seats that's crying out to be used for something - anything.....

Noise - it's a quiet place to be most of the time - although when I was in the car yesterday in the torrential downpour, my friend and I couldn't hear each other without shouting. And that was while we were stationary. Perhaps it was the "weight" of the rain as the water on metal clanging was pretty loud - perhaps it was one of those things - or perhaps there wasn't enough sound proofing - Either way, it's a "nothing" gripe, more an observation.

At 80 (kph, y'honour) it's still quiet - although, 80 is actually 75 (GPS) so 80 it is mostly :)

The visibility is something I'm still adjusting to - the nearside rear pillar is pretty thick, but it doesn't blcok visibility like some cars - I just excercise an appropriate level of care - A blind spot mirror on the passenger side wouldn't go amiss to be honest - but again - a "nothing" gripe.

Performance - it's brisk - it's not going to set the world alight (it was never going to do that), but in gear acceleration is still good and you can feel it pulling in all the gears and surprisingly most of the way to the redline. It still pulls best from 2200-2500rpm (surprisingly) so the best performance is gotten by dropping a gear.

I'm still not thrilled by the fact that I can't do 30/5th and 40/6th, but I just have to adjust my driving style to compensate - 30/4th, however, is pretty low revs anyway, but to pull out from a 30mph limit, 3rd is advisable.

Economy is, so far, not too bad - (better than the Passat 43.39 mpg) - 47.16 mpg overall, with an average (calculated) tank range of 520 miles. It's improving, but it always depends on where I am, what I'm doing and whether I'm "hooning" in the countryside. The trip computer is still out (10%) and I just mentally adjust to it now so I'm not that bothered.

There are, of course, bad points to the Golf and I think I've covered them here and before, but I'll say what they are again anyway - the OEM stereo isn't to my liking, but I like a stereo with some oomph, which I was only going to get from a better sound system (RCD510 or Dynaudio) - There's no "lights on" indicator which still irritates me as I have the Auto lights and it's useful to know when they've come on in the low light/rain/etc.

The car is comfortable, it's competent, it's economical, it'll hustle along when needs be, it'll pull when you need it to, it'll cruise sedately when you need it to do that too. No, it's not a stunning car, but it is handsome, well proportioned car with a good stance. It doesn't have a cavernous boot with acres of storage space but it has enough room and will fit a proper pram/pushchair in the boot.

It's no out and out sports car (get a GTi or an R32 for that) but it'll do what I want with economy and be easier on my wallet. The Passat is still a pleasant memory and, to be honest, when I need a big car, I'll buy one again - Golf ownership is turning out to be a pleasant experience - and as recently as 5 years ago, that's something I swore blind I'd never say.

All in all, it's the car I wanted for it to be.

manic-vw
16-06-2009, 08:01 PM
fantastic review James!!
not long till I get mine now, so hope to check things along these lines.
great help to all of us, well done.

dmw76
16-06-2009, 11:44 PM
Regarding the auto lights , when i first got the golf i went on a trip down to brighton which had already been planned and was a good run for the car and us to get used to it. The daytime running lights were on for most of the journey but as it started to get dark there was an audible "bong" and the dash lights illuminated to tell me that the full lights were now on. Since then i dont recall it happening again, maybe i havent driven long enough through day to start of dusk

james_tiger_woo
17-06-2009, 08:29 AM
Interesting about the "bong" as I'd like for that to happen - I've driven in to tunnels and I've driven in to poor light (rain) and the lights have come on with no notification.

A dealer question perhaps?

maisbitt
17-06-2009, 08:33 AM
Jamestigerwoo:

On the Scirocco, my mpg indicated (fill to fill, using trip 2, reset every time I fill up) is 11% higher than my calculated actual.

I don't have a satnav (don't feel the need to), but i'm assuming that you do, as you talk about GPS speed vs indicated sped in the car. I wonder whether you've ever checked the number of miles that your sat nav tots up vs the number of miles the car's trip says you've done.

It would be interesting to know whether VW's definition of a mile is really a mile, seeing as your car is 10% out on actual mpg and over 6% out on actual speed.

I wonder whether VW engineer these errors into the car to make it look like they are faster and more economic with the fuel than they actually are?

james_tiger_woo
17-06-2009, 09:37 AM
I do indeed have a sat-nav and its software is TomTom - I'm not saying it's 100% accurate, but it's interesting to note the discrepency. I'll check the mile count as I've never thought to bother to check that....

I'm not sure that VW do check the speed/economy, but surely the figures would have to be verified by someone?

maisbitt
17-06-2009, 09:49 AM
I think it'll be accurate enough - those things with GPS can pin you down to within 4 feet. If the distance is that accurate and you can measure your fuel consumptoin over that period then you'll have a very accurate mpg reading.

WeegieBob
17-06-2009, 08:11 PM
Regarding the auto lights ..... The daytime running lights were on for most of the journey but as it started to get dark there was an audible "bong" and the dash lights illuminated to tell me that the full lights were now on.

I've been experiencing the "bong", but hadn't quite figured out what the car was telling me - I wonder if this is it? :1zhelp:

WeegieBob.

Nightowl4933
18-06-2009, 12:03 AM
Ooh, I'm really looking forward to mine 'bonging' - I hope it's a standard feature :o

Of course, I could get really fed up with it after a while :( I wonder if it's '...easily turn on-able and off-able?

Pete

maisbitt
18-06-2009, 08:32 AM
With DRLs standard, I don't know why VW fitted auto lights.

As everyone now has DRLs on 2009 model VWs, the dipped beam is permanently on, so when it's dark enough for the auto lights to have switched them on (and "bong"), they're already on anyway.

The auto lights really only come into play if you've had your DRLs switched off by Vagcom (or the stalk method if you have Xenons)

Nightowl4933
18-06-2009, 10:04 PM
Being a bit dim, here...

Are DRL's daylight running lights? :Blush2:

james_tiger_woo
18-06-2009, 10:18 PM

As everyone now has DRLs on 2009 model VWs, the dipped beam is permanently on, so when it's dark enough for the auto lights to have switched them on (and "bong"), they're already on anyway.

The auto lights really only come into play if you've had your DRLs switched off by Vagcom (or the stalk method if you have Xenons)

Auto lights are an option and I assume that DRLs had to be dim otherwise VW'd be accused of dazzling other road users.

And yes, DRL means Daytime Running Light

maisbitt
19-06-2009, 08:19 AM
The DRLs don't seem to be any less intense than my normal dipped beam - either way VW non-xenon lights seem to have all the lighting power of a box of candles. Luckily, it's not often that i'm not on a well lit road.

james_tiger_woo
19-06-2009, 08:35 AM
The DRLs don't seem to be any less intense than my normal dipped beam - either way VW non-xenon lights seem to have all the lighting power of a box of candles. Luckily, it's not often that i'm not on a well lit road.

I find that DRLs are more dim than std...

<<<<goes out to check....

HHGTTG
19-06-2009, 03:15 PM
I find that DRLs are more dim than std...

<<<<goes out to check....
1) Are DRLs on the minute the engine is started?

2) Are they a separate bulb to the dim dip bulbs? If they are separate then...

3) What happens when the Auto HLs switch on?

So many questions but you may have some of the answers.

james_tiger_woo
19-06-2009, 03:30 PM
Um.

1. Yes
2/3. I think they're Dual filament type - the main is different and the DRL is the full beam.

Not sure about 2/3 TBH.....

HHGTTG
19-06-2009, 03:52 PM
Um.

1. Yes
2/3. I think they're Dual filament type - the main is different and the DRL is the full beam.

Not sure about 2/3 TBH.....
Er, thanks. A little bit clearer, I think.

james_tiger_woo
19-06-2009, 04:12 PM
Main is indeed separate from the DRL.

The full beam is the same bulb as the DRL.

J400uk
19-06-2009, 10:59 PM

Exactly my thoughts.

mr gee
21-06-2009, 03:28 AM
Mine 'bongs' when it the outside air temp drops below 4C. and flashes a snowflake on the DIS

james_tiger_woo
21-06-2009, 07:56 AM
Mine didn't bong when the lights came on yesterday....

HHGTTG
21-06-2009, 08:53 AM
Mine 'bongs' when it the outside air temp drops below 4C. and flashes a snowflake on the DIS
Get away!:))

maisbitt
22-06-2009, 09:01 AM
The 4C and snowflake thing has been standard on the MK5 with midline computer, i'm sure my highline will do the same, but I hope we get a good 4 months of decent weather before the car feels the need to tell me it's that cold!

Managed to achieve 57mpg average (indicated) for an 80mile round trip yesterday, predominantly doing a fairly constant 80mph (indicated) on dual carriageway.

As per mine and james' findings on the slightly optimistic instrumentation though, that's probably actually 52mpg at a constant 75mph.

paul.mgrath
22-06-2009, 01:33 PM
When i picked mine up last thursday i left my wallet at home and as such had about a fiver on me. I had 100 miles to go from work to the garage with just less than quarter of a tank!! The car went for about 5 miles on 0 miles in the tank and averaged......68.7mpg.

Couldn't believe it so took photos actually missed the 68.7 but wasn't too far behind it with this one. Hope the new engine is as good!!!!

HHGTTG
22-06-2009, 04:14 PM
But that's a MK 5's computer display like mine. I thought you had a new MK 6?

james_tiger_woo
22-06-2009, 04:18 PM
If it's a Mk6, you've done a lot of miles there :)

J400uk
22-06-2009, 04:22 PM
Paul is talking about his MK5, note he says "Hope the new engine is as good!!!!"

HHGTTG
22-06-2009, 04:37 PM
Paul is talking about his MK5, note he says "Hope the new engine is as good!!!!"
Sorry, I have just twigged that - dope that I am.

james_tiger_woo
22-06-2009, 05:00 PM
D'oh. Me too...

paul.mgrath
22-06-2009, 07:48 PM
I have just picked the wife up from work, the cars only done 100 ish miles and i have stalled it 5 times. Doesn't seem as torquey maybe its because its still as tight as a drum (i haven't revved it past 2000 yet!!) seem to have to slip the clutch quite often in traffic.

Have the dredded judder on the wipers on the return stroke as well!! Did we manage to sort that??

paul.mgrath
22-06-2009, 08:04 PM
I think this is the dashboard you are wantin to see:biglaugh:. Nice touch with the oil temp should be good if they use oil like the pd's (thats how i used to know when my mk1 needed some more oil when i was younger!).

Didn't know if i would like the white display but i think it looks great.

maisbitt
23-06-2009, 09:03 AM
Just a follow up on the fuel economy that was discussed earlier in this thread - the latest (2nd) fill up gave me a 49.7mpg indicated average vs 45.6mpg actual - a difference of 9%, which is an improvement over 11% difference on the 1st tank.

I hope that the 3rd fill will be tighter again, that might indicate a learning curve for the computer, rather than VWs settings being way too optimistic.

Although it could be more to do with me doing an extra 50 miles on this fill, and extra foaming of the tank contents making the station pump click off full a little sooner......time will tell.

My car passed the magic 926miles/1500km "run in" period recommended by VW and it's like a switch has been flicked, I have more power and economy is better too. It's like the EMU doesn't give you everything until you reach that point. Has anyone else experienced that sudden incremental increase in performance/economy at a certain distance milestone?

james_tiger_woo
23-06-2009, 09:53 AM
I noticed no difference, but this is my MPG graph thus far:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_dhNvt8h5OeE/SkCXy42gsoI/AAAAAAAACHA/mnt2skF0zKk/s800/MPG%20Graph.jpg

Spot the "hooning" point ....

maisbitt
23-06-2009, 10:12 AM
James - I'm assuming that the graph is your calculated actual mpg? Still consistently getting a substantial gap (>5%) between indicated and actual mpg?

So your overall mpg according to your graph is about 46mpg? That does seem more like actual (with an indicated 51-52mpg no doubt?).

Paul - I found the new CR TDI more forgiving than my old 170TDI PD, i'm finding it less likely to stall. If you went below 800rpm on the clutch bite, it stalled, the new one seems to forgive a slight dip below idling. You're right though, it's much less torquey when the turbo kicks in - the torque curve feels more like a petrol engined car.

You can quite comfortably take the car to 3000rpm during run in, if you keep it below 2000rpm the turbo wont be doing a thing. VW recommend you don't use more than 2/3 the rev range during run in, and 3000rpm falls comfortably within that.

I had the judder on the drivers wiper on the return stroke. Had the original wiper replaced and it was worse. I then had the replacement replaced and it's good so far (had 1 day of rain since the 2nd replacement to try it). Don't let the dealer fob you off by saying it's a consumable not covered by the warranty (warranty manager tried this on me). If you've had the car no more than 3 months, theres no way you could wear it out by fair wear and tear, even if it had rained for 1/2 of that 3 months.

james_tiger_woo
23-06-2009, 10:21 AM
Yes, it's the actual - I don't rely on the indicated as it's not accurate (I'd always use my own figures anyway). These are the actual details from my spreadsheet:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_dhNvt8h5OeE/SkCeKeb2RzI/AAAAAAAACHE/TPpvlwv2Q1w/s800/MPG%20Stats.jpg

Comments on how sad I am are not welcome :)

maisbitt
23-06-2009, 10:35 AM
Someone that thorough should be an MP - you'd make loads on the expenses!

James, I noticed that the gap between indicated and actual mileage does seem to be on the general decrease, maybe there is a learning curve to the computer there? I'd be a lot happier with a 5% discrepancy than a 10% one. Your first few readings with 11% and 9% discrepancy seem to mirror my own first 2 fill ups. Do you generally stick to one brand of fuel, or could your variances be foaming differences on fill up?

I stick to Shell if I can, TDIs seem to prefer it (and they seem to dislike Esso), from my experiences.

james_tiger_woo
23-06-2009, 10:47 AM
The discrepency is indeed going down - I can live with 5% TBH.

I don't stick with one brand, but my office is near an Asda so I often use that - more often than not now I think about it...

HHGTTG
23-06-2009, 11:38 AM
I think this is the dashboard you are wantin to see:biglaugh:. Nice touch with the oil temp should be good if they use oil like the pd's (thats how i used to know when my mk1 needed some more oil when i was younger!).

Didn't know if i would like the white display but i think it looks great.
Does this now mean that there is yet another screen to scroll through in order to get back to where you were in the first place?

paul.mgrath
23-06-2009, 01:16 PM
Its found in the standard menu (range, consumption etc) oh yes and 'speed warning!!' What is the point in that? I only ever used it once to annoy the wife with when she went over 90 which she said she never did!!

The MFD remembers its last setting and when the ignition is switched off and then back on again the MFD displays whatever was up before. In my case oil temp.

I like my dials the same as James likes his graphs!! Thats why i always wanted an integrale all those years ago!