PDA

View Full Version : Main fan kick-in from cold! *Puzzled*

Desdesigner
04-04-2007, 05:15 PM
Hi again peeps,

Just wondering if this is a problemo:

Every time I start up my A4 from cold, the main rad fan starts up and blows full belt for about 5 mins before it dies to a stop.

Just curiouse as to wether its normal or not and if anybody else has had the same experience.

Many thanks

madfella65
04-04-2007, 11:26 PM
Hi again peeps,

Just wondering if this is a problemo:

Every time I start up my A4 from cold, the main rad fan starts up and blows full belt for about 5 mins before it dies to a stop.

Just curiouse as to wether its normal or not and if anybody else has had the same experience.

Many thanks

Is this a really loud fan? Does your Air-Con work ok?
I had this prob,when you switch on the ignition a really loud fan would go for a few secs ( or a few mins depending on mood:confused:) - replaced coolant temp sensor - job done, hasn't happened since!:D

Desdesigner
05-04-2007, 08:40 AM
Is this a really loud fan? Does your Air-Con work ok?
I had this prob,when you switch on the ignition a really loud fan would go for a few secs ( or a few mins depending on mood:confused:) - replaced coolant temp sensor - job done, hasn't happened since!:D

Yup, tis the big one at the front and yes, its very loud. Ive got a dicky temp gauge so the cars gone in for checks thismorning. I will get back to you to see if it has been rectified.

madfella65
05-04-2007, 06:59 PM
cool - let us know how you get on!

Desdesigner
10-04-2007, 09:18 AM
Well, the mechanic has said that I haven’t got head gasket failure but I’m leaking coolant somewhere in the heating matrix. He has also said that the thermostat could be stuck open hence the dodgy temp gauge. I’ve had the temp sender’s connector off and have cleaned up the pins but nothing has changed.

The temp sender connector plugs into a cylindrical unit which is screwed to the block. I'm just wondering if its safe to take this off to clean it up if possible.

I’m not sure as to how the sender works, is there a probe on the end?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Desdesigner

madfella65
10-04-2007, 01:46 PM
Desdesigner - don't take this out to clean it - this is keeping water in the car - if you remove it the car will lose water (this is the way it was on my 130 TDI) if you suspect it to be wrong (sounds like the symptoms i had - fan etc) change it - i paid €35 for it - i reckon you would get it cheaper than £20 in UK