PDA

View Full Version : GT TDI 6month and new cylinder head !

capt cavey
15-06-2009, 05:56 PM
I have had my 58 plate for approx 2 months - was advertised as 6k miles ex demo.;)

When i collected it had 8k on the clock - not happy:mad: ! So they serviced it and also gave me my next service for free.

After a month car wont start RAC called - a bit fiddle under the bonnet and he declares its due to the "extreme angle it was parked".:confused:

Take it straight to VW - nothing shown on fault history and car starts fine.

A month later it won't start again - RAC called it starts but with heavy black smoke coming out of the exhaust.:aargh4:

Goes back to VW - again nothing shown in fault history - but they keep a hold of it and a week later they ring to say it wouldn't start - BUT nothing shown on fault history so they have wired it up like its in intensive car.

A week later and they ring to say its started fine since so they have ordered fuel seals - however having replaced these they don't think it was that so tomorrow they are fitting a new cylinder head.

Now then - should I feel as twitchy as I do about accepting it back ?

Will it effect the resale ie will I need to declare it ?

Will I continue to suffer problems ?

Should I expect the mileage to back to zero ?

Should i demand a replacement ?

Should i be looking at compensation ?

Any suggestions gratefully recevied ASAP as the General Manager of the dealership is ringing me tomorrow .

Thanx folks

RickT
15-06-2009, 06:05 PM
Now then - should I feel as twitchy as I do about accepting it back ?

No, but try to get some more freebies from them.

Will it effect the resale ie will I need to declare it ?

No, you do not have to mention it.

Will I continue to suffer problems ?

No, as long as it is done correctly.

Should I expect the mileage to back to zero ?

No, thats against the law, its only a new head, not a new engine and even if it was a new engine milage can not been changed.

Should i demand a replacement ?

I would have a chat with the dealer manager.

Should i be looking at compensation ?

Yes, for time off the road if no hire car provided, plus a gesture of good will.

Any suggestions gratefully recevied ASAP as the General Manager of the dealership is ringing me tomorrow .

Thanx folks

Couple other things to add,

The head gasket should not go at such a low milage, they may only be changing this to "see" if it resolves the issue, but surely after carrying out tests they would know if the head was faulty.

Rick

capt cavey
15-06-2009, 06:17 PM
Thanx Rick - much appreciated.

They have had me in a 1.2 Polo for a fortnight so at least I am mobile.

The dealership themselves have been good communication wise except for the head technician telling my wife that it was a flat battery and been rather condescending toward her.

I was thinking about asking for a extra years warranty and the service after the next "free" service free also.

Looking for four years free motoring really !
:beerchug:

wyatt
15-06-2009, 08:14 PM
Nightmare! Get everything written down that has happened so far, when you speak to the GM run through everything so he has it fresh in his head what you've had to deal with from the start. I've got a used car warranty from VW with my GT TDI and have used it a number of times, unfortunatly the faults I've reported haven't been logged in the computer thingy as it doesn't log everything and they're still not fixed

Write down the parts you've been unhappy with, even if they've been sorted. Additional milage, lower spec'd courtesy (sp?) car, RAC assistance needed twice, condesending attitude from the technicial (mechanic?) etc. Mention that the dealership have been good in the communcation side of things, he's going to be groveling a bit and putting him in a good mood can't hurt!

Write down what you'd like from them and be reasonable. They've offered the next service, anything which needs doing I assume would be under warranty. Work out from the milage/type of driving/known issues what is going to be of most value to you. If you're on long life servicing, the second service (@ 4 years?) will also be a cam belt change... not cheap!

The problem comes when you've your car back and it's still not sorted. I think you should talk to him about that, say that you appriciate what they've done for you so far but how do you move forward when they've had it in the workshop for so long and not fixed it. Put on the table that the vehicle in your opinion hasn't been fit for purpose and that if the problems continue you'd like to have it replaced. This may kick their @rrses into gear... who knows!

Ben
15-06-2009, 08:38 PM
vw's own breakdown servise, vw assistacne, although they have their own vehicles on the road, their eiqipment can also be found in the back of RAC vans. They have a deal or an arrangement with each other. How much are you paying for RAC membership. Can they refund that and GIVE you vw assistance?

capt cavey
15-06-2009, 09:04 PM
Thanx all - sorry about the confusion.......although it was RAC it is VW assistance and to be honest they were clueless !!

Ben
15-06-2009, 09:25 PM
don't be quick to write them off. The dealers had the car for a week before it played up and although it wouldn't start, all they can do is check the obvious and any fault codes, failing that, its still a free tow to the garage.

I've needed them a few times, ok so my car has not been 100% all the time, but the service a got from vw assistance from the point of making the phone call more than made up for the inconvenince of the fault.

I would rather have vw assist than go with green flag. another story.

wyatt
15-06-2009, 10:39 PM
I had a look at the VW website to find out where/when you get assistance from VW Assist and can't seem much about it (along with prices!). I know that you get it with the 'used car' policy but can not see much about cars that still have their factory warranty with them, I assume you can use it then, maybe the handbook will tell?

I'm looking to renew mine this August, price dependedent. I've a number of options, AA/RAC/VW, each has their own benefits. Shame there's nothing online that you can compare them to...