PDA

View Full Version : Question Changing steering wheel

bobby063
15-06-2009, 03:15 PM
Hi,

I have bought my self a 53plate golf 1.6 fsi se. I love the car but I really dont like the 4 spoke steering wheel and would love the standard 3 spoke one seen on later verisons of the fsi se.

I asked the VW salesmen when i bought the car a few days ago and he said it would be best buying one from ebay, but he warned me to be careful about the airbag fitting. I have looked but can't really figure out which would be suitable.

Could anybody please advise me more on this subject as I really dont want to waste my money on something that isn't suitable for my car and obviously ebay sellers all love to state ' will fit all mk5 golf's' and thats it.

Thanks

shaft-50
15-06-2009, 05:25 PM
From knowledge and speaking to folk I am assured that the 3 spoke wheel in MK5's is compatible with all MK5's even the flat bottom one found on the r32 and gti.

Only snag is if you have a 4 spoke wheel and want a 3 spoke wheel you have to change the airbag too (costly).

Hope this helps

bobby063
15-06-2009, 05:46 PM
Thank you for the answer, that is what i was fearing. I could probably afford the steering wheel but the airbag too may just force me to put up with the 4 spoke:(

Does anybody know a source that could quote for the appropriate airbag to go with a 3 spoke mk5 steering wheel?

Thanks again for the answer

shaft-50
15-06-2009, 07:43 PM
I just sold (still waiting for payment ;)) my GTI 3 spoke flat bottom steering wheel for £200 on ebay. When I last looked there were folk selling the matching airbag for around £150 buy now and some for less on bids.

bobby063
15-06-2009, 07:54 PM
I just sold (still waiting for payment ;)) my GTI 3 spoke flat bottom steering wheel for £200 on ebay. When I last looked there were folk selling the matching airbag for around £150 buy now and some for less on bids.

Grrr, just noticed you are from Halifax, i am driving up to my parents in Sowerby Bridge on thursday aswell!!! So you didn't sell the airbag with the steering wheel? 200 seems a bit steep for just a wheel, although its a gti and I don't know much so hey ho

cheers for the help I am much more on my way to understanding what to get(i'm determined to eventually get a 3 spoke now):biglaugh:

shaft-50
15-06-2009, 08:12 PM
The flat bottom wheel is very much desired after, especially for those who wish to upgrade their boring round one (very expensive from VW).

Didnt sell the airbag as re-used it on the edition 30 mfsw i replaced my standard one with.

Have looked on ebay for you and there is someone selling the standard round 3spoke steering wheel and airbag.

Check out the item numbers below;

110402940164 steering wheel £95

110402846284 airbag £100

Check the below link out. This is what mine looks like.

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=71432

bobby063
15-06-2009, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the item numbers, I like the steering wheel but I would prefer one without the GT badge as I only have an FSI and i don't want to 'mod' in that sense, I just really have a dislike of the 4 spoke.

I really like the look of your mod's i notice the rds 510 is it? Very very nice interior anyway. I was so close to getting a brand new mk6 but my head ruled my heart and I opted for what I could actually afford 1.6fsi 53 plate!!!

I am definatley going to do the upgrade but i think i will need to be patient with what becomes available on ebay. I reckon I could get a steering wheel quickly and then wait for a reasonably price airbag.

shaft-50
15-06-2009, 09:11 PM
The steering wheel badge can be removed and replaced with a plain alu one if you dont want to over mod the car.

As for the wheel and airbag, if it was me i would grab them as they come up becuase they are like rocking horse poo at times so best to grab em when they come up for sale.

Good luck with it anyway.

PS when you do get them, there is a vry useful link on this site on how to remove the wheel/airbag. Very simple to do. :D

shaft-50
15-06-2009, 09:13 PM
Ps, if you fancy the flat bottom wheel, you can buy mine. You could pick it up when your local !!!

Ben
15-06-2009, 09:18 PM
I am definatley going to do the upgrade but i think i will need to be patient with what becomes available on ebay. I reckon I could get a steering wheel quickly and then wait for a reasonably price airbag.

i'd personally look to buy the airbag and steering wheel as a complete item / unit. 2 reasons.

1, you know the airbag is correct for the wheel
2, the airbag will be transported in carrridge in its correct housing and protected by the steering wheel.