PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Collant Loss 1.9TDI but only at speed!

nevwdr
15-06-2009, 01:42 PM
I have a strange problem with my 02 plate Toledo 1.9TDI 110 SE, with circa 117K Miles on clock.

If I drive along a motorway or similar cruising at 2700 - 3200 rpm (80 -95mph), I can drive without issue. I then come off onto smaller roads and drive at much slower speeds. After a short while of slower driving my Red Coolant light comes on. The engine gauge does not show overheating.

I have been able to determine that fluid is coming out of the expansion tank, put some paper towel under it and its always wet when I look after this problem.

Now, the strange bit, if I keep off motorways and drive back and forth around the 30 - 60mph speed, I can drive for a significant number of days without this problem. Every time I drive down the A1 or M1, I can guarantee that my light will come on once I slow down and I'll have to top up!

What is weird is the fact that it has been doing this for over 15,000 miles! I cant find the fault, my mechanic suggested changing the waterpump, but I am concerned this is my head gasket and don't want to spend a fortune doing Cambelt and waterpump only to have the same problem.

Can anyone advise what might be the cause of this problem?

adamss24
15-06-2009, 05:27 PM
It may be a cracked/porous cylinder head... I would also chck the radiatoras they rust at the bottom so the hotter the engine gets, the more water flows out of he radiator...

towcestervag
16-06-2009, 02:45 AM
if its got a water cooled egr valve check it as they leak internally

VAGMAN54
18-06-2009, 09:25 PM
does your heater work or just blow cold air ?