PDA

View Full Version : Newbie - A4 2.4 Petrol with Power loss Prob.

alexC
04-04-2007, 12:34 PM
Hi Guys,

New to the forum and already finding out useful bits of information. Looking forward to finding out what people are getting up to.

Just bought an A4 2.4 Sport Automatic last weekend (53 plate 47k). Generally very happy with the car. I am, however, having a bit of trouble when it is cold within the first 5 minutes of setting off in the morning. When I am driving through the residential area where I live at about 20-30mph I every so often have a complete power loss, which normally happens when I am trying to speed up a bit (just gentle acceleration). It last for a about 3-4 seconds and then jumps straight back to life (by which point I my foot is normally firmly planted to the floor). At no time does the engine cut out.

Thought initially that it might the autobox not changing down, but it seems to change down fine, it's the engine that is not providing the power.

I have read on other threads something about engines going into "limp mode"...does this sound feasible? There are no strange sounds and I have never had the problem when the engine is warm...

Any thoughts on solutions?

Thanks

Alex