PDA

View Full Version : ADY engine won't always start

diagman
14-06-2009, 05:11 PM
I bought my 1997 2Ltr Alhambra as a non runner, sometimes it would start, sometimes it would not. The previous owner had taken it to several mechanics and had paid loads of money for diagnostic checks.

The engine had loads of new parts, New Battery, HT leads, spark plugs, dizzy cap, rotor arm, coil etc, but still it was unreliable.

Having driven it home (very impressed with the quiet engine and smooth ride), I ran a diagnostic test using my Snapon Scanner, this reported a fault with the Hall Sensor 00515 error code. Feeling quite chuffed that I had found the problem so quickly and the fix would be very cheap, £200 plus £26.00 for a sensor, I was for once in my life I was on a winner. However this did not last very long, on closer inspection of the distributor, it showed, someone had tried to replace the Hall Sensor, by forcing a large Pry bar in an attempt to gain access to the sensor from the top, and not by removing the distributor from the engine, and dismantle in the correct way. A replacement Distributor was found at a local salvage yard (£35), and quickly installed on the engine. Using my scanner I set up the Hall Sensor using Engine Module 01 Measing Block 007 and achieved a setting 59 in the first Block and 7 in the second block. That stopped the 00515 code from reappearing, and all was well.

For the next day or so all was well, until the Wife went shopping in it, and it failed to start again :(. After a short while, as if by Magic it just fired up and I drove it back to the workshop, still puzzled why it suddenly failed to start.
The following day I set aside a few hours to investigate the fault, armed with my DMM I set about testing all the wiring associated with the ignition system. I couldn't find anything, all seemed in order, all the components tested ok, so I ran another diagnostic test to see if that would reveal the problem. This puzzled me also, the scanner would read all the control modules except the engine module, so I tested the diagnostic plug, and found that to be ok, so I attached another scanner (a VAG one) and it came up with the same problem, not reading the Engine Control module. After about 5 hours of messing about the reason was obvious, the was no power supply reaching the Engine control Module. On close inspection the engine control module had been repaired and the main power supply wire was loose, and causing the fault.

I hope my little saga may been of use to other Alhambra owners

Bill

ray.cooke3
06-11-2015, 03:04 PM
Hi Bill,
I have exactly the same problem. I'm a 68yo disabled mechanic. Back & neck bust many years ago but didn't know and spent too much time on cold concrete floors. I have the same as you with the ADY engine. I'm in the AA as I can't afford to be stuck.. 3 of their mechanics had a look and couldn't get it. Jennings, Ford main dealer, had it for 4 days then told me it was just a bad contact to the coil & they cleaned it & all is well. They didn't charge me because of the delay. Went and picked it up and drove home. my wife went out to go to the shops and guess what.. it wouldn't start. I put it into another garage who fixed it the same as Jennings.. ie it wouldn't start after getting home. This was including a new fuel pump, set of plugs and fixing a wee crack on the servo pipe. £192.00. Came and picked it back up and 2 days later it is fixed. Went to get it after a new crankshaft sensor, dist. cap and leads + a rotor arm. Parked it out side and we're going out in 10mins. Fingers very much crossed. I'll try it with hope but I think it is time for me to try out your idea. Sadly when I was working in a garage things were much different and it's hard to sort when you've left it for a few years. (I retrained as an ITC engineer after the back gave way LOL) I'll let you know how things go. Cheers Mate. Ray