PDA

View Full Version : theft from 2007 A3

la15
14-06-2009, 01:17 PM
Hi all,
Sister in law had her 57reg A3 broken into last night - tomtom etc taken. She swears blind she locked the car the night before but no locks were forced on the car.
Does anyone know if there are any instances of thefts where the crims can override alarms etc, or of failures of A3 alarms, or, (as I suspect!) is it just more likely she forgot to lock/alarm the car??

She can't remember if it was locked when she came to the car as she just blipped the car open in the normal way as she approached it.

cheers in advance, la15

tlionhart
14-06-2009, 02:08 PM
i remember when my alarm on a 2004 model was playing up it kept going off. To indicate a fault with the alarm.

The thing is, she could have easily and sadly to say pressed the 'open' rather than lock. Making her think she locked it. As im aware the car locks itself after 30 secs. It is easy for a thief to know if the car has been locked. There is a light which flashes on the dashboard. This would be another way to determine a fault with the alarm. Check the audi manual out. It tells you how the alarm maybe faulty and what to look out for. (sorry but i can't remember of the top of my head)

It is possible for the alarm to be over ridden. How the RAC get into the car when people leave their keys in the boot! I remember a traffic officer said to me the people who commit these crimes have usually been some trainee apprentice and learn the locking systems. However on cars such as BMW's, Audi's it is almost impossible or the time involved is too long to say hot wire the car. Hence why they break in and snatch the keys from the hallway table.

The only other way to find out if the alarm is playing up is to take it to audi and have it on a VAG COM. A tool which would let the technicians know if there are any faults.