PDA

View Full Version : EOS Individual Chicago Alloy Repairs

harpersj
13-06-2009, 08:48 PM
Hi,

Anyone know if i can these alloys repaired. I have surface scratches and the lacquer has changed colour?

Thanks,
Steve

williaminnes
27-06-2009, 05:56 PM
Hi Steve - thisis my first post but thought I would reply. Is your car under warranty? There is a problem with corrosion on the Chicago alloys - I am getting 2 replaced free of charge from Volkswagen and my car is 2.5 years old!

keithwigley
27-06-2009, 09:01 PM
Recently had refurbishment on GTI polished alloy at Renowheels, Brackla, Bridgend, South Wales. Deep scratching completely removed. Wheel like new. Cost £97.

harpersj
28-06-2009, 09:28 AM
Hi Steve - thisis my first post but thought I would reply. Is your car under warranty? There is a problem with corrosion on the Chicago alloys - I am getting 2 replaced free of charge from Volkswagen and my car is 2.5 years old!

Hi, thanks.

Did you just take it to your local VW garage or did you contact head office?

Thanks,
Steve

keithwigley
28-06-2009, 04:32 PM
Not sure we are communicating at a cross roads, but I was to blame for the damage. Just took it to the refurbishers direct.

williaminnes
29-06-2009, 08:43 PM
Took it into the dealership and said I was not happy with the quality of the alloys and they did not even quibble - told me the VW alloys were on a 'customer complaint log' and they could replace them free of charge. If it is just a small bit of kerbing then they will not entertain you but I had kerbed a section and the alloy had started corroding. May be worth a try!

keithwigley
29-06-2009, 10:30 PM
It was a fairly decent chunk out of half the rim. Couldn't blame VW alloys.

cp101
17-07-2009, 09:24 AM
Hi
I'm in the same boat (or rather convertible) There is signs of kerbing but there is also corrosion on areas that cannot be kerbed an obviously lacquer problems on tha diamond cut wheels. I have had a quote for £80 a wheel to get them refurbished but I will try the dealer first on my warranty which I have only 2 months left. Just baught the car couple of weeks ago
Will let you know how I get on.

I also have tyre problems on the 2 rear wheels where the tyres have deformed to a more Ocatagonal shape than round and hence make a noise on the road. I have been to the dealer regarding this last week but it was more of a shrug of a shoulder I had and they said they had heard about it but there was nothing they could adjust to prevent it and I should just buy a new set of tyres (285/40/18) :aargh4:
Any body else had this problem // apparently it also happens on Vauxhall/Opels
TA

harpersj
18-10-2009, 03:33 PM
How did you get on with the dealer CP101?

cp101
21-10-2009, 08:28 PM
Hi, I was not 100% happy with the dealer.
They repaired a sensor on warranty but when it came to the alloys they turned me down, stating that it was very unusual to get the alloys changed under warranty. To be safe with the noise on the rear wheels I did pay to have a full realignment and replaced 2 rear tyres that had warped into like a octagonal shape. It's been fine since. I will probably get the alloys refurbished after xmas to put the icing on the cake. Found a place that re-cuts the alloys and re-laquers them all for £82.50 each.
One thing I have learnt is that diamond cut and laquered alloys are a pain in the @##. But they look great when perfect.

harpersj
21-10-2009, 08:32 PM
Ah thanks, where are you getting the Alloys refurbed? I can't find anywhere!

Simon68
08-04-2010, 04:24 PM
I'm just waiting for 2 wheels to come back from a repairers. 90GBP+vat per wheel. If I am happy with the results i'll let you know who I used. They originally quoted a 3 day turnaround. One week on they are not back but we have had a bank holiday which may have delayed them.

To update just got the wheels back and can confirm that the job was a good one.

Company: Pristine Alloy Wheel Refurbishers
Address: Newport Road, Woburn Sans, Milton Keynes MK17 8UD
Tel: 01908 282628

They did:

Wheel one had edging to pretty much the whole wheel caused by driving through icy snow.

Wheel two had a damaged section on the face of the wheel which happened when a tyre was being changed.

I had to have the two rear tyres changed as they were so badly worn on the inside edges. All the VW dealership could offer was to replace them at my cost.

johnloaderuk
11-04-2010, 08:37 PM
Just popping over from the Passat forum and saw this thread. The 'diamond cut' finish is fairly rough compared to the polished surface of most alloys, but looks really good when machined correctly.
Although I don't do this for a living here's a couple of pictures I took when I re-machined a wheel from a friends AMG Mercedes.