PDA

View Full Version : Increased road noise at 40-60 mph

richyrich
13-06-2009, 06:37 PM
Hi guys,

My GTTdi has started to develop what can only be described as increased road noise. It starts in the high 30's but is worse around 50-60. It dissappears when I go up to 70 and above.

Its not the tyres which are in good nick, there's no vibration or change in the feel of the car. It sound like a much quieter version of the noise you get when driving at speed with the back windows open (know what I mean?).

Think I'll end up having to take it to the garage, but does anyone know what it might be? I'm at a loss.

Cheers,

Rich.

GarJE
13-06-2009, 07:41 PM
I have a similar noise. Think the drivshaft intermediate bearing is shot. A problem normally associated with Peugeots!

Give the car some left/right swerves (on an amepty road). The noise will increase on the loaded side if it's the wheel bearing.

Does it get worse under braking? As mine does.

sgtbanjo
13-06-2009, 11:35 PM
Bridgestone tyres on the rear by any chance?

richyrich
14-06-2009, 07:37 AM
Hey guys,

I'll give the left right steer a go but didn't notice any change when on the road yesterday, also don't think there's any change when breaking.

Na I've a full set of Goodyear F1 Eagles and they have a heap of tred on them. The noise started months after the tyres went on.

Thanks for the replys.

Rich.

RUSSGT
17-06-2009, 12:26 PM
It could still be a tyre problem, it would probably pay you to drop into a tyre place and get them to check them for you. Another suggestion would be to try rotating the wheels front to the rear and see if that helps. Do you get any vibration or shuddering when braking ? Sometimes a slightly warped disc rotor can also give similar symptoms even without using the brakes.

richyrich
17-06-2009, 01:59 PM
The brakes will need replacing at some point this year (mot in Dec said I had about 10,000 miles left on them), but apart from them being a bit squeeky there's no judders/vibration on breaking.

My wifes car's in the garage just now so will pop the golf in in a couple of weeks to get it looked at.

Thanks again,

Rich.

RUSSGT
17-06-2009, 02:35 PM
Hope you get it sorted soon, I know how frustrating problems like this can be. I had similar on the last car I had, replaced the tyres and the brake rotors and pads and it still had issues, needless to say I traded it and bought the GT (first ever newbie) so far I'm very happy with it.

Russ

richyrich
08-07-2009, 03:55 PM
Just a quick update on my noise issues. Had it into my local garage who despite having 2 mechanics out in the car who both acknowledged the noise can't find a thing wrong with it. They tell me its tyre noise which I find hard to believe (if it is I've never heard tyre noise like it). My brother-in-law is a mechanic by trade and I'll get him to look at it for me, if he can't find the issue its car sale time, the noise is doing my head in!!

Rich.

RUSSGT
08-07-2009, 11:10 PM
Hey Rich,

The car I traded on my Golf had a very similar issue to what you're describing but after changing tyres the only thing you could hear from the tyres was the change in noise on different road surfaces. I still got rid of the car because of all the other things that I didn't like about it, the original tyres it had fitted were FULLRUN brand (directional). I had them replaced after they'd only done around 5,000 kms, I kept them and advertised them on eBay, sold them (set of 4) in like 2 days with a realistic buy it now price on them and then had to cancel the sale and readvertise them as (set of 3 tyres) after I discovered a large split in one of them across the centre of the tread (I had never seen anything like it on a tyre before) I know where you're coming from and it's very annoying to have an issue like this with a car, but don't be too hasty with selling it because it just might be tyre related. Silly question but are all the tyres the same brand and tread pattern ? What brand are they ? It's still possible that at least one of them has a problem. Is there any chance you could try another set of wheels and tyres on it and see if the problem is still there ? It's a much cheaper option than selling the car and taking a loss :(

Cheers
Russ

richyrich
09-07-2009, 12:59 PM
Hey Russ,

Your right, I'll see if my brother-in-law has a spare set of wheels we could try and see if that makes any difference. Apart from the noise I love the car but as you'll understand a noise like that get so irritating after a while.

Its got a complete set of Goodyear F1 Eagles on which have done about 5000miles ish.

I got the garage to swap the front and rear wheels (just to save wear on the tyres) and if anything the noise is even worse now.

I'll post the reults of the tyre change and let you know how I get on.

Cheers,

Rich.

RUSSGT
09-07-2009, 01:42 PM
Hey Rich,

If you think the noise is worse since rotating the fronts to the rear then I'd say there's a good chance it's tyre related. Just out of interest is the tread pattern on the Goodyear F1 Eagles the same as the tyre below ? If it is then I'd definitely put money on tyre noise being your problem, because the tread pattern below is almost identical to the FULLRUN tyres I had on my last car which as I mentioned sounded very similar. Be interested to see if changing the tyres does the trick.

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/1360/40983gyeaglef1gsd3ci1l.jpg

Cheers
Russ

richyrich
09-07-2009, 01:48 PM
Hi Russ,

Yeah the tread is almost identical mate, that's interesting as when I was checking the reviews of the tyres road noise wasn't listed as an issue.

Thanks for that Russ , I'll get onto it and let you know how I get on.

Rich.

RUSSGT
09-07-2009, 02:07 PM
Mate I'm sorry to say it but even though they are probably a great tyre overall, I would definitely not have that type of tread pattern on a front wheel drive vehicle. You would be much better off with an open tread pattern like the Continental Sports CS2 or CS3 ( CS2 were standard on most MKV's I think) I have them on the GT and they are a very good tyre but even they are starting to get noisy after nearly 15,000 kms now. Best of luck with it anyway. ;)

Conti CS2

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/4593/continentalsportcontact.jpg

Russ