PDA

View Full Version : passat estate no kick with turbo?!?!

Phase1
13-06-2009, 02:41 PM
got a passat estate the other night for a run around! its 95 tdi and there isnt much of a kick out of it id say a straight diesel yoke would be nipper! how do you tell if a turbo has gone? there is no smoke coming out when you drive it or when you rev it! or could it just be a boost leak? i seen a code sayin AF if thats anything?

thanks

macollin5750
29-09-2009, 06:14 PM
I have the Z1 engine (1.9 TDI) if its that engine the only problem is on the long hills when the air mass meter which can make the turbo cut out at strange times. you can check that and replace it for about 60 quid.

Defiance
18-11-2009, 06:43 PM
Hiya's,

I have the 1z engine too (after vacuum pics etc but that's another story)

Anyways .............. I am trying to replace the old rubber piping with silicon

From searching for a week i've found these things can contribute individually or grouped .............

Engine bay rubber pipes/tubing leaking/cracked/brittle (in my case 1 piece missing !!)

Turbo actuator sticking

MAF knackered (especially the bosch hot wire type)

N18 knackered

N75 knackered

Intake manifold gunked with crud

EGR gunked with crud

And to some extent, again only from searching, intercooler crudded up

It's a long list i know, i'm trying to battle through it myself as least expensively as i can

Ohh as to test turbo, if you can get a mirror or actually eye-ball the actuator to see if it's ok that's a start

And also, if you get a nice surge/brisk pickup in 1st 2nd 3rd but in 4th and 5th it struggles to put power out, then alas you're at the same point as me (i'm working on pinning down the cause at the mo)

So if you feel the turbo kicks in upto at least 3rg gear then i'd say turbo's fine and it's a game of elimination

Hope that helps a bit

Def

hodgy_7
06-05-2010, 08:03 PM
check the rubber turbo pipe is not split my brother has 2 b4s with 1z engines and on both of them that pipe had split.

scotty33
01-07-2010, 11:08 PM
got a passat estate the other night for a run around! its 95 tdi and there isnt much of a kick out of it id say a straight diesel yoke would be nipper! how do you tell if a turbo has gone? there is no smoke coming out when you drive it or when you rev it! or could it just be a boost leak? i seen a code sayin AF if thats anything?

thanks

Are you saying the engine code is AFN?

DSG4ME
19-07-2010, 11:17 AM
Have you fitted a new air filter recently, if so there is a pipe to the air box that if split or not on properly will cut the turbo out, hth.

scotty33
10-10-2010, 09:06 AM
There are a lot of myths and mis information regarding turbo control, especially with the 90 hp models. They have a conventional wategate not a VNT mechanism, so it won't be sticky vanes. The boost control is done by boost pressure NOT vacuum like it is on VNT equipped cars

DSG4ME
10-10-2010, 02:21 PM
The boost control is done by boost pressure NOT vacuum like it is on VNT equipped cars

Hmmm, I wonder if this is why certain 2.0 models use so much oil, turbo hoovering it in.

scotty33
10-10-2010, 06:45 PM
Hmmm, I wonder if this is why certain 2.0 models use so much oil, turbo hoovering it in.

Sorry, it's not really like that. The vacuum operates a capsule external to the turbo, which is mechanically linked to the vanes. The angle of the vanes alters to reduce and increase boost as seen fit by the ECU.
No vacuum as such to hoover up any oil.
Boost pressure can overcome the seals and send oil from the centre section out through the exhaust, same deal with most turbocharged cars, sonot sure why the 2.0 is thirsty?