PDA

View Full Version : !.9 TDi does not start Heeeelp

djollir
04-04-2007, 08:30 AM
I have a 194,000 mile Sharan! Today it did not start. There has been no engine performance drop previously. I've loosened nuts from all 4 fuel lines into the head and they're all pumping fuel. Timing belt is intact! Easystart sprayed into airfilter makes engine cough a bit but still no starting. Fuel filter is 3 months old. Battery is fine. Tried towing and pull start but still dead.

I'm at a complete loss. So is the mechanic. Does anyone have any clues?

a very grateful thanks....
Michael

Eshrules
04-04-2007, 11:12 AM
I have a 194,000 mile Sharan! Today it did not start. There has been no engine performance drop previously. I've loosened nuts from all 4 fuel lines into the head and they're all pumping fuel. Timing belt is intact! Easystart sprayed into airfilter makes engine cough a bit but still no starting. Fuel filter is 3 months old. Battery is fine. Tried towing and pull start but still dead.

I'm at a complete loss. So is the mechanic. Does anyone have any clues?

a very grateful thanks....
Michael

are there any error lights on the dash... any fault codes or issues with the immobiliser?

i have also moved your thread to the Sharan specific section

tornadored7
05-04-2007, 04:02 AM
Michael,

Esh's advice is the fastest way to diagnose. However, it is possible that a Fault code (DTC) won't be thrown/logged.

Assuming that this isn't an immobiliser issue, this sounds like it could be vaguely similair to a problem I had with my Golf MK3 TDi (1Z engine).

Symptoms: When key is turned to energise starter, the starter turns but the engine doesn't fire. At some points, the engine sounds as if it is just about to fire but doesn't actually complete. All fuel lines are primed and pumping fuel.

The VW Dealer couldn't diagnose the problem, but a local mechanic could. It turned out to be an (intermittent) faulty ignition switch.

The Ignition switch was replaced (job is a little bit involved), and cured the problem.

Would be interested in knowing how you proceed. Please update with any progress.

Eshrules
05-04-2007, 10:48 AM
Esh's advice is the fastest way to diagnose. However, it is possible that a Fault code (DTC) won't be thrown/logged. thats eshrules to you ;) (joke) ;)

Assuming that this isn't an immobiliser issue, this sounds like it could be vaguely similair to a problem I had with my Golf MK3 TDi (1Z engine).

Symptoms: When key is turned to energise starter, the starter turns but the engine doesn't fire. At some points, the engine sounds as if it is just about to fire but doesn't actually complete. All fuel lines are primed and pumping fuel.

The VW Dealer couldn't diagnose the problem, but a local mechanic could. It turned out to be an (intermittent) faulty ignition switch.

The Ignition switch was replaced (job is a little bit involved), and cured the problem.

Would be interested in knowing how you proceed. Please update with any progress.

yes, i agree, it could also be the ignition barrel..... the only thing that would lead me to question is that he hasnt said it is intermittent...from the sounds of it, something has failed overnight...it could well be coincidence and prove to be the ignition barrel... if this is the case it's a reasonably cheap and easy fix :)

djollir
08-04-2007, 08:40 PM
Hi folks

I think I have founded a problem that points to the solution. A wire (+ve) that somes out of the fuel injector pump I believe powers the pump's solenoid. There is no current in that wire. So I connected a cable from that point to the +ve on the battery and the car starts. If I disconnect it the engine stops. But.... the car now runs with a huge loss of power; exactly the same as if the airmass meter is faulty. (I have replaced the airmass meter a few months ago). I was told that this could be because the ECU has detected a fault and is now in "emergency" mode. Don't know if that makes sense!

So I think its off to an autoecletrician who may help. Perhaps its a problem with the ECU...I don;t bloody know!!! Frustrating.

However on the point of the ignition switch... is anyone encouraged enough to say I should go down that route?

Many thanks for the helpful tips. I hope to sort this all out.

PS. Is ther ANY way I can bypass the ECU. And....if its faulty, is it simply a case of maybe replacing it with a recondiutioned one? And (promise this is the last stupid question) ... where is it located??? Its not under the front seats. I have an R registered Sharan.

Whew..

Best regards

Michael
regrds
Michael

bilal aslam
09-04-2007, 02:04 PM
hi mate just a bit of advice its best for you to have it checked out buy an auto electrician i.i made a same fault my sharan wouldf not start and i drove it with the wire connected to the battery but only for a week then the fuel pump went cost me lots and lots £1`500 in total

djollir
29-07-2007, 09:00 AM
Hi
For the benfit of the group, I have finally got down to posting the solution to the Sharan starting problem mentioned in April.

The culprit is the "109 relay"; a little cube shaped relay that is housed behind the fuse box on the left of the steering wheel.

The problem I had was that this initially was an intermittent fault that did not show up on the diagnostic system that the dealers have. After weeks of frustration and unbelievably incompetent guess-work and ripping off by various dealers, I discovered a lot of posts regading this "109 Relay" on google.

This part costs £19 and took me about 10 minutes to fit!

So, if your engine cranks over but refuses to start and your glow plug light does NOT light up, consider the 109 relay a potential problem.

Whew. I am determined to clock up 300 000 on my Sharan ...ok ok I'm stupid... I know!

Many thanks to all who replied and I hope this helps someone.

Michael

cbrpaul
30-07-2007, 11:05 AM
Well done Mike for posting the cure up , i too have heard of this relay , its known to cause alot of hassle , dont you find it strange when not even dealers have heard of this !!!

Is it actually labelled " RELAY 109" in the fuse box ????

What year is it also ?

:beerchug: