PDA

View Full Version : Passat TDI PD timing belt intervals

6Speeder
16-01-2006, 11:54 PM
Hello all,
I have a 2003 TDI 130 Sport which has just reached 55000 miles. Engine code is AVF...book says belt and roller change at 90000km (55923miles?). Can anyone verify this for me? Also is there any special tools needed for a belt change?

Many thanks

Gaz the Cab
17-01-2006, 10:29 PM
Hello all,
I have a 2003 TDI 130 Sport which has just reached 55000 miles. Engine code is AVF...book says belt and roller change at 90000km (55923miles?). Can anyone verify this for me? Also is there any special tools needed for a belt change?

Many thanks

I believe up to 2002 it is every 60k miles (mine was done at 60k)and after 2002 it is 80k miles, but really better to ring the ******* and ask to be safe.

Dozz
29-01-2006, 11:31 AM
I've just had mine done at 64000 miles. It was meant to be done at 60k but the previous owner knew he was going to part with the car and had a service done less the belt (very dodgy) When I went to collect the car the guys at ABTECH gave me the old belt to show me. It was Knackered the belt had started to split along its length and the rubber had cracked across the belt at every tooth. As I knew the belt would need replacing I've been taking it easy with the car until I could get it done thank god or my start to Passat ownership would of cost a bloody fortune. Don't delay get it done according to the guys at the garage the diesel belts are very tight so it's best not to over run them by much You may want to conceder getting the water pump replaced as this is driven from the belt after all when you replace the belt you do replace the tensioner and guide why not the pump there not very expensive

FreddyTheFrog
30-01-2006, 09:31 PM
Sykes Pickavant do a locking kit for VW diesel engines.
See http://www.sptools.co.uk
Product code: 07701000 - Diesel Engine Set/Lock Up Tool
It probably costs about £30.
I don't know if they deal with the public directly - you might have to go through an agent/distributor. I bought mine from Volkswares Leicester but they ceased trading a couple of years ago.

I normally change the belt at between 40,000 to 50,000 miles. It cheaper to put a new belt on early than risk it.

6Speeder
11-02-2006, 12:48 AM
Thanks for the reply guys, i've managed to get myself a copy of Autodata which states it should be changed at 60000miles. I'll look into a locking kit (ebay?) and start getting the gear together. According to Autodata, the proceedure is very similar to my old A4 untill you remove the timing belt covers...which is when you need the locking kit.

thanks again