PDA

View Full Version : High Beam assist

sabingli
12-06-2009, 12:10 PM
Did anyone tried to retrofit this option, or does anyone know what you need to do this?

tlionhart
12-06-2009, 12:25 PM
i gave audi a call to see if this was possible to have retro fitted on my car no its not possible. Sadly. What i do know is you need the auto rain/light pack to begin with. They said "no we wouldn't do it" and hang up... Like some secret MI5 gadget.

ScottyUK
12-06-2009, 01:37 PM
Surely the effort involved in retro fitting it vastly exceeds the effort if moving the lever a few times over the life of the car?

It's the ultimate lazy aid! ;)

tlionhart
12-06-2009, 01:41 PM
but a great lazy aid just like the rain pack :p

ScottyUK
12-06-2009, 02:09 PM
"Rain pack" isn't an option on the A4. It's just there as standard. ;)

sabingli
12-06-2009, 04:24 PM
i was looking into etka and elsa and for this retrofit you need to chage the winshield glass, the interior mirror and you have to remove 1 wire from Convenience system central control unit, and run 2 wires into Data bus diagnostic interface. I don't know if you need to change also the Data bus diagnostic interface.

kodkod.84
12-06-2009, 04:32 PM
What's high beam assist then? Isn't it the little blue main beam icon on your instrument panel? :biglaugh:

Ivor Bigun
18-06-2011, 07:00 AM
What's high beam assist then? Isn't it the little blue main beam icon on your instrument panel? :biglaugh:

Oh my god no. Its like having your own personal rally co driver especially if you have the sat av too
If you only drive on lit roads at night honest there is no point it does NOT work so as you would notice in street lights but get out on the un lit open road especially one with not much traffic and it's fantastic the head lights adjust up and down for speed and the full beam goes on and off by it's self and with the sat nav you see all the bends in advance it's on my 2011 TT honest it's nearly the best gadget in the
The only down side is you have to turn it on EVRY time you start the car if it stayed on and you turned it off when needed it would be magic I have never ever found I needed it turned off in 3 months

ScottyUK
18-06-2011, 07:45 AM

heheheh :)

Ivor,

All A4's move the beam up and down with speed. I've read more posts from people who wish they could turn it off than like it. This is mainly due to the lag in the system i.e. manually they'd flick it on earlier than the system does.

Re co-pilot - when I first got Satnav I got lured into using it like pace notes. It works quite well BUT you end up going faster than you safely can and hence breaking one of the major rules of the road ("be able to stop on your side of the road in the distance you can see to be clear".

If you want the best headlight option then it's easily the Adaptive Lights. They swing around to the vanishing point as it my magic. As my head/eyes move they do too. It's an ace system ... and I can still flip mainbeam when I want to and not when the car decides. ;)

SunnyBard
18-06-2011, 08:13 AM

Seems the High Beam Assist is as badly described in the brochure as the Audi Hold Assist then ... I thought the HBA simply switched off full beam when it sensed oncoming traffic.

Ivor Bigun
18-06-2011, 10:08 AM
the high beam assist is OFF by defualt you turn it on each time you start the car or want to use it I dont understand how people can say they wish they could turn it OFF it is OFF you have to turn it ON
as for the adaptive light I really only notice them on really low speed parking as you whip the wheel lock to lock on parralell park you do see the lights move
but overall then I like the light packages I just want mine on BY DEFAULT adaptive and speed stays on all the time that is different to the headlight assist
I think the people who say they could do it faster are confusing full beam selection to dip beam raisng up at speed there is a difference lol

ScottyUK
18-06-2011, 10:49 AM
Since you're on a B8 A4 forum then you could be confusing things by talking about a different model??

I didn't order it so just going on posts of others. No idea why they say it if it's not on by default!?!?! Model difference ?

I also don't get why you notice the adaptive on "really low speed parking" as it's not active at those speeds. Model difference ?

Dip beam raising with speed is really subtle so I wasn't referring to it. Model difference? I was referring to HBA.

Ivor Bigun
18-06-2011, 01:24 PM
ok i was wrong high beam assist is rubbish I wish i had never mentioned it now i am now trying to unsubscribe from this forum as it is obviuosly not the one for me and the TT S

ScottyUK
18-06-2011, 07:13 PM
Seems like someones got an itchy ***** today ;)

certacito
20-06-2011, 05:49 PM
Main Beam Assist on my MY2011 A4 B8 does not activate automatically.

The driver needs to push the light stalk forward to turn on MBA, any manual interventionafter that turns off the MBA.

On a twisty rural road it activates and deactivates HB super fast, even the distant rear lights of a car ahead of you are spotted in good enough time not to dazzle the driver of the car in front.

I would agree that it's of less use if most of your night time driving is done in an urban enviroment but for me it works great and was worth the extra cash.