PDA

View Full Version : stone chip protection film

tlionhart
12-06-2009, 09:28 AM
Has anyone had this applied to their car or previous cars? Is it any good?

Its an accessory audi sell. Im fed up with stone chips!

Alan02
12-06-2009, 04:09 PM
Ive seen this advertised in the IMI magazine,and to be honest,i would guess that after a while,grime would start to show up the profile of the protection film and it would look worse.

sunil1234
22-06-2009, 04:17 PM
I have had armorfedn on my MY2000 Golf GT Tdi Mk4 and E46 M3 Convertible.

Whilst you can see the line of the film close up (my golf was pearl black and the e46 m3 cab was estoril blue) it is more than worth it for stone chip protection and even the bumper film to prevent minor scuff damage etc.

The problem i find with my Audi a4 (no film) is that the stone chips are all the way up the bloody bonnet!

If you do get it fitted, make sure you go the the head office in Essex. Its not something you want applied in the street etc

HTH

rich164h
22-06-2009, 04:34 PM
I know quite a few people with it on their Lotus Elise/Exiges and Vauxhall VX220s. It makes a huge difference in my opinion and is hardly visible at all. Both of the VX's I had looked like they'd had come from a bad day in Bagdad after 25-30k miles, whereas the cars with the film fitted looked like they had just come out of the factory!! You also really have to look hard to see if it's fitted. The best ones (IIRC) are Armourfend and Paintshield. Paintshield in particular always gets good comments from people who have had it fitted. Both of these brands are completel UV stable as well so unlike other brands you won't get that horrible yellowing.

Oh and yes, as commented above, go to a main fitting centre to have it done. They will do it under perfectly sterile conditions. The last thing you want is some dodgy fitment with wind/dust etc getting under the film.

That said, those type of cars (the VX220's in particular) are much lower to the road and with quite bluff painted front ends, and the paint is ridiculously soft compared to audis. Perhaps it just isn't needed on an A4.

richardg158
22-06-2009, 09:51 PM
Hi,

I have Venture Shield on mine and it has been brilliant so far and almost invisible. These guys offer a service for most cars & bikes and also work with alot of the f1 and other Motorsport teams.

http://www.venture-shield.co.uk/

Definitely only get the work done in a clean / sterile environment though.

Thanks