PDA

View Full Version : Smokin' Diesel.

Windy Pants
04-04-2007, 12:12 AM
Hello there. I'm a newbie on these boards but was wondering if I could pick someone’s brains on a techie matter.

I have a 2002 2.5 TDi (155bhp) v6 A4 which seems to smoke (blue/black) excessively from a cold start. It also doesn't run on all six cylinders immediately either. However, once you start driving, there is no smoke and it runs smoothly. I've had it in to Audi for a regular service (60 odd k miles) which didn't improve matters.

I know diesels smoke but mine smokes like a trooper - particularly on colder mornings.

My suspicions run to one of four possibilities.

a) glow plugs not working properly on all six cylinders.(seems odd because starts when warm without difficulty)
b) Air starvation (would have thought service would have shown this up)
c) Oil in the cylinder - presumably a leaking piston ring??? (God, I hope not!)
d) Battery problem (Wishful thinking I think!)

If anyone has any experience or thoughts as to what might be wrong, please let me know.

regards

Andy B.

nicfw
16-04-2007, 03:14 PM
sounds like a blocked part of the crankcase breather system. Mind you, if you start looking inside all that tubing you may feel like either paying someone else to clean the lot or hurriedly putting it all back together without cleaning out enough of all the gunge.

A blocked cranckcase filter caused my old Mondeo diesel to belch out clouds of black/blue smoke so good luck with that one.