PDA

View Full Version : Home Security/CCTV

Flying Scot
11-06-2009, 11:53 AM
Looking for a bit of impartial advice on the subject of installing 1, possibly 2 CCTV cameras on my house.

Ideally I would be looking at IP based cameras as I understand IP more than traditional cameras and I also believe that it would give me greater flexibility on possibly viewing while I’m away from the house and also recording images.

My house backs onto a supermarket and recently I’ve noticed a couple of things that lead me to believe people have been in my garden during the night, so I need something with day/night vision. I know that some of our local yoof’s use it as a potential shortcut to/from whatever they do of an evening, but my greater concern is someone casing the house as a future target for a break-in.

I can easily access the areas where I want to put the cameras via the eaves of the house and I would prefer something hard wired rather than wireless.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a simple cost effective solution?

Cheers

Sam
11-06-2009, 12:14 PM
Having recently just done a similar thing my head is full of information.

Before I go nuts and blow your mind, do you have a budget?

Flying Scot
11-06-2009, 12:25 PM
Not really got a budget as such at this stage. I have my own network cabling business and quite a few of my suppliers supply these types of systems, so I’ll be o=possibly looking at a heavy discount or a freebie.

The reason that I’m not approaching them at this stage is that they are more involved in the large commercial installations.

I want to go to them with a basic kit list and a delivery address!!

Sam
11-06-2009, 12:59 PM
In that case <rubs hands>...

I wanted something that was motion activated, could serve more than one purpose (which this does, and then some) and was above all cheap to run and as near silent as possible.

I did a lot of research and ended up going with;

A Synology (http://www.synology.com/enu/index.php)DS408 (no longer available to buy - DS409 has replaced it), two Samsung HD753LJ HDDs (750Gb each), and two IP cameras (DLink DSC-900). I also had to buy an additional license to add the second camera.

The two cameras are set to "motion detect" 24 hours a day and I always keep the last 14 days of footage - I've not even made a dent on the HDDs yet.

The cameras could be better in darkness, but I'm going to be adding an IR illuminator shortly.

The DS109j is perfect for an entry level system but it'll only take one HDD. The software/OS on the DiskStations is what won it for me and each model has the same applications (give or take a few)

There are obviously much cheaper options, but when you're spending a minimum of £50 > £100 for a camera alone....

Flying Scot
11-06-2009, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the info....I'll have a look at it and keep you posted on any developments.

I have a couple of Axis cameras in the office that I was given as demos a couple of years ago, but as usual with me they are still in their boxes.

I've found i-catcher software which will let me run 4 cameras for 30 days, so I may have a crack at that first

Sam
11-06-2009, 01:39 PM
Axis are good cameras, high end too - you wont go wrong with those.

If you want free and aren't afraid to dabble, have a look at ZoneMinder - it needs a PC to run it and of course the relevant PCI cards but it's 100% free.

Flying Scot
11-06-2009, 01:40 PM
I'll give it a go,

Cheers

Ben
11-06-2009, 02:23 PM
I, with sam and robs guidance in the DynDNS area have managed to install a single ip camera. It will be used for baby monitoring and viewing for the grandparents.

it can be hard wired or wireless.

http://www.foscam.com/Products_List.asp?id=128 is the camera i bought off ebay for £117

just thought i'd share :)

maisbitt
11-06-2009, 02:34 PM
It would be good to get those motion detector "sentry" chain guns, as seen towards the end of "aliens". They'd work a treat and save tax payer's money on jailing the trespassers/burglars.

onzarob
11-06-2009, 02:45 PM
I would like to point out that you can only legal film yuor own property before getting into allot of data protection hassle and human right issues. (Which businesses have to adhere to)

Look at this link

http://www.nfh.org.uk/resources/Articles/cctv/part_2.php

just a heads up as filming a street can get you label all sorts othe things :(

Eshrules
11-06-2009, 03:36 PM
Rob, he never mentioned filming a street... he wants this to catch the mongs hanging around in his garden at night :Blush2:

pon
11-06-2009, 03:50 PM
the mongs

Have'nt heard that phrase for a long time, not since I left school me thinks.

onzarob
11-06-2009, 04:25 PM
mongs hanging around in his garden at night :Blush2:

But if you even catch a bit of the street then you might find your on the wrong side of the law and the Mong get free.....you should know now that the Victim is the wrong doer ;):p

the_old_diver
27-06-2009, 01:15 PM
I had an ex-supermarket American Dynamics dome camera set up at my home which I could control (PTZ) over the Internet from anywhere else by pressing virtual buttons on a webpage, but it did require a lot of IP network learning, router setup and knocking holes through the firewall. And bandwidth for streaming the video. I understand Axis models are much easier to set up.

A camera won't stop kids getting into your property, and high angle pictures of them probably won't be identifiable and might not even be admissable. It will give you "Peace of Mind" in that at least you will know they are doing it :-)

One or two of those Lidl £4.99 PIR triggered 500 watt floodlights will perhaps be a better deterrent at a fraction of the cost.

Oliverphoenix
27-06-2009, 10:38 PM
IN BRIEF..............

This, it turns out is my profession (chosen), and I advise all my clients/principles before I leave to get the most technologically advanced security surveillance system/roving patrol ever designed..................A DOG (and none of the above is bs)

Hope you will consider it...

Ollie

the_old_diver
27-06-2009, 11:00 PM
Wow Ollie - you trained your dog to operate a PTZ controller and recording software - that's amazing!

the_old_diver
27-06-2009, 11:12 PM
...and I thought my cat was smart...

http://icanhascheezburger.wordpress.com/files/2009/04/funny-pictures-cat-uses-the-keyboard-for-evil.jpg (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/%3Ca%20href=)
see more Lolcats and funny pictures (http://icanhascheezburger.com/)">
see more Lolcats and funny pictures (http://icanhascheezburger.com/)

Oliverphoenix
28-06-2009, 10:16 AM
Morning gents! Reference your last I do not have a dog (or a cat, liked the picture, stuff of legends fella, keep it up.......) because I,m not naive enough set up shop in a problematic area. If you THINK you need big brother for the surveillance of your investment, it obviously wasn't a good one. No medals for guessing that remedy! Adding to that a famous saying in the private security industry....KISS. Keep It Simple Stupid. You must understand what the image of a camera will project to people (youths especially). That theres high value assets inside/outside, thus making your investment even more desirable, and especially for the youths it presents more of a challenge to use your place as a transit route,being the rebellious little ba****ds they are. If the idea of a dog upsets you(which is obvious) either erect a decent physical barrier(a fence/wall) or install a a PIR system that triggers an EFP IED(explosively formed projectile),no just having a laugh, a lighting device or something audible. I am assuming you know the laws on eviction if you catch them on your property. I guarantee you that a camera will not solve your problem, although most unqualified people think they do, but thats why they are unqualified. I,m guessing you will anyway just because you already have half the equipment lying around. You just go ahead and see for yourself........