PDA

View Full Version : Annoying Pop-ups suddenly???

SEMKY
10-06-2009, 07:08 PM
Hey Guys,

Just over the last few days all of a sudden I am getting shed-loads of web-pages opening up behind the front page....not within the pages/tabs that I am using...

What the flip is going on? Its all junk advertising, I have kaspersky total internet 2009, regularly updated etc, and the computer is on vista

Any thoughts in computer simpleton speak?
Cheers chaps in advance

:beerchug:

Ben
10-06-2009, 07:54 PM
you have been to some site or opened an email that has implanted something that attrects these ads.

download adaware, it free and can be got from www.download.com (http://www.download.com)

it will scan your whole or selected drives or areas and then let you remove the infections. also good for clearing browser history, recently visites web links, auto complete fields etc.

SEMKY
11-06-2009, 07:40 AM
Thanks very much for that mate, downloaded it and run a complete scan. Will see how it goes from here!!

Cheers!!!!:beerchug:

SEMKY
11-06-2009, 06:15 PM
Bloody things still coming! Done a whole system scan too....:confused:

ImCammers
11-06-2009, 07:09 PM
Bloody things still coming! Done a whole system scan too....:confused:

Could be somthing software related, id check the items which have recently been installed?

Vista:

My Computer > Uninstall or change a program (at the top)

Have a look through that list, for anything your not sure of, and if you are unsure of it, post it here.

Skeelsie
11-06-2009, 11:09 PM
Back up your docs while you have the chance, you may need to do a repair or fresh install.

SEMKY
12-06-2009, 09:47 AM
Could be somthing software related, id check the items which have recently been installed?

Vista:

My Computer > Uninstall or change a program (at the top)

Have a look through that list, for anything your not sure of, and if you are unsure of it, post it here.

Thanks very much mate, will do that tonight!

Back up your docs while you have the chance, you may need to do a repair or fresh install.

Bugger!!! fresh install would be a challenge for me!!:yikes: Will do a back up though cheers matey!!

martin1810
12-06-2009, 01:52 PM
There is a new trojan virus sometimes called google redirect, which sends your web pages all over the place. We had it on three computers. I ran every scan I could think of and eventually discovered that the only one that worked for me was "superAntiSpyware". You can download it for free. This fixed our computers...Hope this helps.

SEMKY
12-06-2009, 07:31 PM
Cheers for that Martin, will give it a shot!!:beerchug:

chrismaher2007
13-06-2009, 03:37 PM
always run a spyware scan in safe mode.

SEMKY
13-06-2009, 04:35 PM
always run a spyware scan in safe mode.

Errrr...too late for that....its run one already! What will I have bust now??:(

ImCammers
13-06-2009, 09:28 PM
Errrr...too late for that....its run one already! What will I have bust now??:(

Well you havn't damaged/broken anything. Some programs do indeed run better when they are in Safe Mode (i personaly wouldn't say this is neccessary unless the thing your have an issue with, is definitly malicious)

If you've run these scans, and your still recieving these pop-ups i would presume it may have been somthing you had/have recently installed.

Prime Suspects for this would be:

*Adverts which claim to speed your computer up 60% (im very skeptical of these, and half the time they want to sell you some (Rap with a C infront)
*Some Free software often is paid for by advertisements, some of the time they have an 'Opt out' of these ads but half the time, they are the smallest of tick boxes

Question is, have you installed anything recently?
How long has this been happening?
Could you think of anything which you may have installed which has caused this?

SEMKY
13-06-2009, 10:17 PM
Thats interesting....the only thing I have installed recently (actually about same time that these ads started appearing) was a bike theory test dvd thingy...bought and paid for genuine original....so all things would point toward that......HOWEVER....I have installed that on this computer too which isn't affected...Only difference being that this ones on XP, the affected one on Vista...

At least I can't think of anything else I have installed, although other family members do use it very occasionally....Will have a closer look! Cheers!!:beerchug:

martin1810
14-06-2009, 04:33 PM
Most of these bugs are picked up from social networking sites when someone sends you a link to a picture, video or music file. Lately some have been offered as java updates when you visit a web page. It's likely that your system files have been reset so that iexplorer sends you to a site that gives you the popups. If you delete browsing history, cookies etc you may be ok until you turn the computer on again. If it's a virus, it will reset your browser and the popups will come back. If you get really stuck, go to "bleepingcomputer.com" and ask for help. They will talk you through how to fix most problems. Goodluck.

SEMKY
14-06-2009, 05:16 PM
Oh Bugger! I remember accepting a Java update recently...assuming it was genuine....sod it!

So cheers Martin, thats a great help.....!

As an addition, I have noticed that when typing the cursor often stalls now, and hence letters don't come out on this same affected computer....do you think that may be a software related bug? Its very vey tedious!:mad:

martin1810
15-06-2009, 10:18 AM
If it's a virus or trojan the possibilities are endless because each person who releases one can just change bits of code to suit them. We had two computers with random popups and one with the popups plus all sorts of system changes that stopped programs running properly. The guys at bleepingcomputer.com are amazing. If you listen to them you should be ok.

SEMKY
15-06-2009, 10:40 AM
Ok thanks a lot martin, will give them a try soon as I can! :beerchug:

alisonj
18-06-2009, 10:46 AM
If nothing else helps and you're still getting the popups you could try looking for recently changed files in folders such as C:\ root, Windows, Windows\System32 (really any directory that's in the PATH). Also look for unusual processes in the Task Manager - if they have a weird name (or even a name that just looks too simple) or you haven't spotted them before stick them in a google search to check them out.

I had something very similar once and I found it was an EXE that had written itself to Windows\System32 and got run at startup, only it was clever and every time I deleted it, it recreated itself. I had to find a few supporting files too and delete those. Usually if you find a trojan like that, you can find a fix for it online.

(I have XP so the directories might be different if you have Vista)

Good luck
Alison

N.B. One of the reasons for running a spyware scan in safe mode is if it's a process that's running then it might have been locked so that the executable can't be deleted. If you're in safe mode, only essential stuff is loaded on startup so the spyware is more likely to be removed successfully.

SEMKY
19-06-2009, 08:21 PM
Hi Alison, thanks very much for all the information!! And now know a bit more about safe-mode etc.

The only problem I have with going through task manager looking for things is that I only recognise the absolute obvious ones like iexplore and dwm...All the rest of them mean nothing to me:confused:....I guess I could google them all?

They are still popping up so I'll try a safe mode scan too.

Cheers!!!:beerchug:

alisonj
19-06-2009, 09:57 PM
I usually try both Adaware and Spybot Search and Destroy -- it always seems that they find different things. If you haven't tried Spybot S&D yet you could give that a go (it'll show up if you google for it). I think the official site is www.safer-networking.org (http://www.safer-networking.org).

If the scans don't find anything I'd probably try the directories next - look for files that have a recent date/time stamp and then google their names. It's worth just remembering to be careful in these directories as they contain system files. You don't really want to delete anything by mistake...

Hope you find the blighter!

Alison

ImCammers
19-06-2009, 10:58 PM
Hi Alison, thanks very much for all the information!! And now know a bit more about safe-mode etc.

The only problem I have with going through task manager looking for things is that I only recognise the absolute obvious ones like iexplore and dwm...All the rest of them mean nothing to me:confused:....I guess I could google them all?

They are still popping up so I'll try a safe mode scan too.

Cheers!!!:beerchug:
Perhaps, you should screenshot, the 'Task Manager' and we may be able to collectively tell you which processes are fine, and which ones look suspicious.

proff999
20-06-2009, 10:26 AM
Had the same issues with in-laws machine, Tried everything and nothing worked until I came across malwarebytes. Ran that ( About an hour on old dual core laptop) restarted and everything good as new. Here's a link to copy and paste.

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html?part=dl-10804572&subj=dl&tag=button

On a side note I used to have issues with so called anti-virus programs ( Norton,Mcafee etc) that didn't do what they said on the tin. I have used ESET NOD for the last 4 years and have had no issues whatsoever, Not even a pop-up! It's also very light on system usage

ImCammers
20-06-2009, 11:07 AM
Had the same issues with in-laws machine, Tried everything and nothing worked until I came across malwarebytes. Ran that ( About an hour on old dual core laptop) restarted and everything good as new. Here's a link to copy and paste.

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html?part=dl-10804572&subj=dl&tag=button

On a side note I used to have issues with so called anti-virus programs ( Norton,Mcafee etc) that didn't do what they said on the tin. I have used ESET NOD for the last 4 years and have had no issues whatsoever, Not even a pop-up! It's also very light on system usage

A Good Free Anti Virus, system is Avast and i gives considerable coverage considering its a free piece of software. I would never use Norton, since we're not aloud slander companies, i will support the claim that Norton doesn't exactly do what it says on the tin.

hongkongstuey
20-06-2009, 11:24 AM
one thing ive noticed from fixing/helping a few friends pc's is the staggering amount of toolbars installed on them!! i dont use toolbars, there isnt any need, they just let ads and pop ups in. i use latest internet explorer, avast anti virus and thats it, do a registry clean every now and then to keep things in check. sorted this pc this morning, at work, it had implanted a google style search engine called gummibars. total rubbish and made the pc run slow, de fragging at the moment then will do registry clean, regular maintenance keeps pc's healthy :biglaugh:

i use reg cure for registry issues, do a scan with the free software and be prepared to be shocked

SEMKY
21-06-2009, 05:16 PM
one thing ive noticed from fixing/helping a few friends pc's is the staggering amount of toolbars installed on them!! i dont use toolbars, there isnt any need, they just let ads and pop ups in. i use latest internet explorer, avast anti virus and thats it, do a registry clean every now and then to keep things in check. sorted this pc this morning, at work, it had implanted a google style search engine called gummibars. total rubbish and made the pc run slow, de fragging at the moment then will do registry clean, regular maintenance keeps pc's healthy :biglaugh:

i use reg cure for registry issues, do a scan with the free software and be prepared to be shocked

I just ran the free scan...1012 detections...:bigeyes:....so you reckon buying the full version is worthwhile then?

ImCammers
21-06-2009, 06:35 PM
I just ran the free scan...1012 detections...:bigeyes:....so you reckon buying the full version is worthwhile then?

Well personally i would go completely different away about this, im always very skeptical of programs which tell you what the fault is, but want to charge you for the simple process of repairing it. (i think these things play off people's ignorance) Im not saying these programs wouldn't fix these issues, im just very skeptical of them. You just dont want to pay money, where you dont have too.

A program i would strongly recommend, http://www.ccleaner.com/download Theres no hidden rubbish with this program, its simple to do and easy to understand.

Remember when your installing the program, there is a tick box which says 'Install Yahoo Toolbar' its not malicious, but unless you use Yahoo search engine alot, its not particularly needed. (Just thought id bring that to your attention since we were talking about toolbars earlier in this thread)

*Once you've downloaded and installed the program, it should look like the following.

http://www3.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/94ec6f2edb38ff820abd783e543bbc0f6g.jpg (http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=i4wznzggnmz&thumb=4)

*We want to repair Registry files within windows, so we need to click the 'Registry' on the program and this will show somthing similar to this.
*We then wish to 'Scan For Issues' this will then do a process, depending on how many problems your computer may have, will vary how long this will take.

http://www3.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/a7b85ef4aed3d02576fcc0fc07e431106g.jpg (http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=zgcyjztmony&thumb=4)

*After the program has finished doing, it shall display all the known issues with your registry. To demonstrate what this will look like, i have simulated how the registry errors will be displayed, like below.

http://www4.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/d318f338ad449fefbaf052e8ab323b626g.jpg (http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=jfyeyhkym2g&thumb=4)

* You will then need to attempt to repair these, when you click 'Fix Selected Issues' it will ask you if you wish to take a backup. Although i have never had any issues with this for the purpose of this, i would like you to take a backup entitled 'Backup [Todays Date]'. When you click yes, you will need to save it somewhere, choose a destination that your going to remember.
*After this, we want to 'Fix All Selected Issues', Again depending on how many and computer spec's it may take a while to repair these.

Lets us know, how you get on i will try to assist you further if this fails to make any changes to the issue your having.

Regards

Cameron, (Cammers is a nickname??)

pon
21-06-2009, 09:52 PM
Same as you Cammers I do not trust a ny programs that tell I have a fault. Then wants to charge me to fix it, especially whe they want paying in dollars

ImCammers
21-06-2009, 10:42 PM
Same as you Cammers I do not trust a ny programs that tell I have a fault. Then wants to charge me to fix it, especially whe they want paying in dollars

And to be honest if you've ever looked at these things that they claim is wrong with your computer (ESPECIALLY Virus Scans) they seem to suggest that you have more then one virus, when in reality you have virus and there showing you the several varieties of it. I often think these programs are taking 'Users' for a ride and playing off their lack of knowledge, by having a 'User Friendly' interface which makes it seem geniue.

pon
22-06-2009, 06:53 PM
Thanks for that Cammers.
Nice & easy to install & use.:beerchug:

hongkongstuey
22-06-2009, 08:11 PM
who said anything about paying? :biglaugh: google groups, google displays the cure for the 'problem' so you download it, then look it up on google groups and someone will have a 'solution' thats all im saying, there are ways round everything but when it is real people that make a living from actually helping you rather than frightening you i always pay (vag com)

SEMKY
23-06-2009, 06:18 PM
WOW, thanks VERY much Cammers for that excellent post!! And thanks very much to everyone else who has helped...will give that a try now!

Afraid I am one of the naive/un-educated where computer stuff is concerned so get taken in by a lot of the very programs you mention...haha, not anymore though!! :beerchug:

If any of you ever have a problem with their ships engines or propulsion, drop me a line....I may be able to return the favour :biglaugh:!!:beerchug:

SEMKY
28-06-2009, 11:41 AM
Ok so thanks very much everyone for the help with this...it appears to be sorted now...no more ads!
:beerchug: