PDA

View Full Version : New Turbo needed??

gianni67
10-06-2009, 02:50 PM
Hi: my 1.9TDI beetle is continuing to struggle with engine check light and limp home mode. The local main dealer identified a disconnected pipe on the turbo, replaced it, but the problem remains.

The car is fine on local and urban runs but goes into limp home mode on the motorway if I attempt to go above 80mph. It re-sets if I turn the engine on and off. I can also hear the turbo whistling.

I have had the car re-checked by the garage who firstly informed me that the turbo would "re-set itsefl" and then on a subsequent visit that I needed a new turbo. Only other info is that I used to do 500 mile plus per week, then the car did hardly any mileage for a year, and now is used all the time again.

Before I shell out for a new / re-conditioned turbo, could anyone give me any pointers??

Very grateful for any help!!! Thanks

gianni67
16-07-2009, 03:03 PM
Update - engine check light still on also joined occasionally by flashing glow plug lights. Only goes into limp home mode when cruising or try to go over 80mph. Sticking turbo vanes? Before I go back to garage I would be grateful for any pointers so that I can discuss with them. Cheers

pon
16-07-2009, 03:16 PM
Do a search on innotec turbo cleaner it is mentioned plenty of times in the
mk4 golf section

gianni67
16-07-2009, 07:58 PM
Thanks pon, will do the research. Have also discovered that all brake lights not working hence flashing glow plug? That wouldn't do the limp mode and engine check light though would it? Cheers for the reply

pon
16-07-2009, 11:00 PM
Glowplug light is your brake switch which needs replacing.
Have you had a diagnostic check done on your car? If not get one done and
post the error codes here and hopefully someone more knowledgable will come along

gianni67
17-07-2009, 07:45 AM
Cheers again. Booked in for diagnostics on Monday. Will post results. Cracking useful site!

pon
21-07-2009, 02:03 PM
Cheers again. Booked in for diagnostics on Monday. Will post results. Cracking useful site!

How did the diagnostics go? Has the problem been sorted?

gianni67
22-07-2009, 09:54 AM
Not yet done as had to travel for business. However gave the car a bit more welly in order to try and clear any debris in the turbo. Didn't notice any extra smoke but car running slightly better and actually able to go above 80 without limp mode. However engine check light still on so will still get it checked out - probably tomorrow. I will post the codes and results. Cheers for the help so far - much appreciated.

orienteer
22-07-2009, 01:12 PM
what's the mileage?

I can't speak for the VW turbo but have a BMW variable vane turbo. These sometimes have problems caused by a turbo vacuum pressure regulator.

If this isn't functioning correctly you could under or over boost (maybe?) and the car will attempt to 'save' itself.

If the car has done quite a few miles why not invest in a VAG-COM cable and some software. The investment could be similar to one or one and half trips to a dealer to have diagnostics done :beerchug:

If your turbo is on the way out you may hear what is like a referees whistle which is the bearings failing or evidence of white smoke which is your turbo seals letting engine oil past and burning it off. With this your engine oil level will drop over time.

Codes read first though ... sleepless nights after :o

Regards, Ian

gianni67
22-07-2009, 03:55 PM
Thanks for that Ian. Where do I get VAG-COM plus software from? E-bay or more reliable suppliers? I am getting some turbo whistle but not that much and no white smoke - just white hairs.....

Mileage: 74k but only about 2k last year as car was laid up whilst I had use of company car. Before that 500 - 1000 miles per week. Now back to daily use for decent distances. Regards, Ian (also)

orienteer
23-07-2009, 11:44 PM
You should go to

http://www.ross-tech.com/

for a cable and then there is limited shareware software available whci will at least pull the codes for you. You can probably buy replica cables on EBay too.

Your other option is to buy a Memoscan OBD2 scanner. This doesn't view all systems, only really engine emissions. It is however only about £30 on EBay. This is just 'all car' generic codes.

Regards, Ian

gianni67
27-07-2009, 01:36 PM
Cheers Ian for the info.

I will post the results. Best Ian

gianni67
29-07-2009, 07:22 PM
Update - car now at authorised VW service centre. Diagnostics show confirmed failed N75 valve, plus failed brake switch, plus failed temperature sensor. Waiting for parts and then turbo will be checked also to make sure still ok.