PDA

View Full Version : Question Changing brake pads and damage to ABS unit

tyberwan
10-06-2009, 06:10 AM
Hi

I would like to go into the challenge of changing my front brake pads and I have seen the detailed steps of how easy this was in one of the postings.

When pushing the piston back into the caliper to put in the new brake pad, is there any chance of damaging the ABS unit by the brake fluid being pushed back into the system? I have read on one site that we must be careful about that. Is this true?

Furthermore, by using large pliers, can we push back the piston, ie, will the force exercised by the pliers be enough or do we need a C-clamp?

thanks

kite
10-06-2009, 07:14 AM
Undo the master cylinder cap to make pushing the piston's back a bit easier..

Dave Avant
10-06-2009, 11:40 AM
You should be able to push the piston back by hand or use a large screwdriver to lever the piston back before you remove the caliper.

paul20v
10-06-2009, 09:41 PM
You should always undo the bleed screw when pushing back the piston ,
reason being you dont push any contaminated fluid back through the abs valving BOSCH say this is one of the biggest failings of abs units .

irishstoner
11-06-2009, 08:17 PM
You should always undo the bleed screw when pushing back the piston ,
reason being you dont push any contaminated fluid back through the abs valving BOSCH say this is one of the biggest failings of abs units .

Is doing this going to push the brake fluid out of the bleed valve?

Only asking because im going to be changing the pads and discs all round and i have never done it before:o

:beerchug:

onzarob
11-06-2009, 08:42 PM
Is doing this going to push the brake fluid out of the bleed valve?

:beerchug:

Yes you need an 8mm RING spanner to undo it, just quarter of a turn. One of these will stop you making a mess. ;)

http://www.alcester-racing-sevens.com/Brake_pads_onemankit_6060.JPG

PS this isn't a Audi brake setup but you get the idea.