PDA

View Full Version : Auto Dipping passenger side door mirror

DAVID5416
09-06-2009, 11:53 PM
Having read the booklet and then re -read it i am unable to get the pasenger door mirror to Dip automatically when i put it in reverse, I have a 2.0 GT TDI with the convenience pack fitted and from what i have read and having looked at the M.F.D this clearly is fitted and i should be to get this to happen. I maybe being a bit thick but cant get this option working anybody else had any problems or can tell me how to do it. :aargh4:

ralferoo
10-06-2009, 12:30 AM
Hi am unable to get the pasenger door mirror to Dip automatically when i put it in reverse, I have a 2.0 GT TDI with the convenience pack fittedThe dipping passenger mirror is in the luxury pack, not the convenience pack. In fact IIRC, the luxury pack is basically the convenience pack and folding/dipping mirrors. I know this because the SE has the convenience pack as standard, but I had to spec the luxury pack because I wanted the folding mirrors.

DAVID5416
10-06-2009, 12:39 AM
Thanks for that i only thought it was fitted due to the fact that the Multi function diplay shows the mirror down function and is ticked as if it is activated.

WeegieBob
10-06-2009, 06:14 AM
Thanks for that i only thought it was fitted due to the fact that the Multi function diplay shows the mirror down function and is ticked as if it is activated.

I'm in the same boat with my GT, I spec'ed the Convenience pack and discovered the MFD has the same display as yours - however, bottom line - "you've got the box, but there ain't anything inside!"

WeegieBob.

netherfield
10-06-2009, 09:39 AM
I have the dipping mirror fitted,but it's useless,when I select reverse the mirror goes upwards so then all I can see is sky.

VictorPapa
10-06-2009, 11:11 AM
I have the dipping mirror fitted,but it's useless,when I select reverse the mirror goes upwards so then all I can see is sky.

Try setting the desired dipped position whilst the MFD shows that particular function. Mine worked first time no problem.

J400uk
10-06-2009, 11:13 AM

You might want to get that looked at, its supposed to go downwards when you select reverse so you can see the kerb.

andyduz
10-06-2009, 01:00 PM
Unless you have a particularly powerful remap....and wings:D

dmw76
10-06-2009, 05:39 PM
You need to leave the mirror select switch to the L position for it to work

netherfield
10-06-2009, 06:50 PM
Well of course or it doesn't move at all,but for what earthly use should it want to go upwards,unless you're into spotting low flying aircraft.

J400uk
10-06-2009, 07:06 PM
Well of course or it doesn't move at all,but for what earthly use should it want to go upwards,unless you're into spotting low flying aircraft.

If its going upwards theres a fault with your car, simple as really.

dmw76
11-06-2009, 12:18 PM
As said above, if its going upwards theres obviously a fault

Kremmen
17-06-2009, 07:38 AM
I don't know if this is of any help but I had another make of car with this facility.

What you had to do was put the car in any forward gear and set the passenger door mirror position.

Then flop it into reverse and do the same.

After that, whether you selected forward or reverse gears it went to the position you had set for that direction.

bobby jones
14-10-2009, 11:11 AM
My mirror doesn't dip either. According to my dealer it only works if you have VW installed rear parking sensors installed.

james_tiger_woo
14-10-2009, 11:17 AM
My mirror doesn't dip either. According to my dealer it only works if you have VW installed rear parking sensors installed.

Have you enabled it in the menu of the MFD?

(Is it even installed?)

I've not got parking sensors BTW but I do have the luxury pack which installs it.

p3asa
14-10-2009, 11:47 AM
I don't have rear parking sensors either and it works flawlessly. It comes with the Luxury pack though.

Turn the knob to L and then put the car in reverse (with the ignition running)

Set your mirror to go to whatever setting you want.

Put the knob back to O and the mirror will go back to the normal driving position.

Now try it out with the car in neutral and the knob at L. When you put the car in to reverse the mirror will automatically go to the position you set it to a minute ago.

Remember the knob has to be in L for it to automatically do it when you reverse. At times it can be annoying when all you want to do or reverse.

p3asa
14-10-2009, 11:50 AM

That's not faulty.

Its probably just some joker that has set it to go up instead of down. When you put it into reverse, it goes to the predetermined position that you have set it to. Which obviously most people will set to down!!

james_tiger_woo
14-10-2009, 12:52 PM
That's not faulty.

Its probably just some joker that has set it to go up instead of down. When you put it into reverse, it goes to the predetermined position that you have set it to. Which obviously most people will set to down!!

What he said - I didn't know this and looked like a berk when I took it in to VW to check it.

RTFM....

bobby jones
14-10-2009, 09:10 PM
Have you enabled it in the menu of the MFD?

(Is it even installed?)

I've not got parking sensors BTW but I do have the luxury pack which installs it.
Yes it's available in the MFD menu but it doesn't do anything.

p3asa
14-10-2009, 10:16 PM
Yes it's available in the MFD menu but it doesn't do anything.

Have you set the mirror manually?
It won't move in the L position if it hasn't been set in reverse beforehand.

Frelon
15-10-2009, 05:30 PM
The mirror switch has to be in the L position and provided you have set up the MFD to tilt the mirror on reverse it should work.

It dips a set amount which cannot be adjusted (AFAIK) but ensure that you have set it up correctly in the first instance.

Late edit: The above statement is incorrect - see posting following. Sorry for duff gen!!

p3asa
15-10-2009, 07:17 PM
It dips a set amount which cannot be adjusted (AFAIK) but ensure that you have set it up correctly in the first instance.

Sorry but that is not correct. You have to originally set it to the position you want it to move to.

That is the problem with one of the posters on here who's mirror went up the way. Someone has set it that way.

james_tiger_woo
16-10-2009, 09:02 AM
Sorry but that is not correct. You have to originally set it to the position you want it to move to.

That is the problem with one of the posters on here who's mirror went up the way. Someone has set it that way.

That was mine - it was and it has since been adjusted :)

HHGTTG
16-10-2009, 09:16 AM
That was mine - it was and it has since been adjusted :)
However, it's not a very useful system unless you remember to perhaps always leave it in the 'L' position although I realise it does not take that long to turn the knob to that position.
Logiclly, I just wish that it would turn down when reverse was engaged, no matter where the knob was set.

p3asa
16-10-2009, 01:12 PM
I'm glad its not an automatic thing as I only find it useful when parking to avoid kerbs.

The other day for instance when leaving work I found myself jammed in with just enough room and no more to get through (reversing out)
I had to have the mirrors in the normal position as one pointing down was worse than useless.

Also reverse parking into a car park space suits me better with the mirrors in the normal position but also using the rear camera!

cariad
16-10-2009, 04:31 PM
A little off topic but does anyone know how to get the mirrors out of synchronised adjustment i have the luxury pack.the book says go to convenience menu but i don't have this menu or any other come to that. i can only change the display by pressing the rocker switch on the windscreen wiper stalk. when the switch is set to L only the left hand mirror moves, when the switch is set to R both mirrors move.

Blackthorn
16-10-2009, 04:59 PM
I think you can only do this if you have the highline display.

HHGTTG
16-10-2009, 05:19 PM
A little off topic but does anyone know how to get the mirrors out of synchronised adjustment i have the luxury pack.the book says go to convenience menu but i don't have this menu or any other come to that. i can only change the display by pressing the rocker switch on the windscreen wiper stalk. when the switch is set to L only the left hand mirror moves, when the switch is set to R both mirrors move.
You can adjust each separately by turning knob to 'L' and then you can adjust passenger mirror only but to disable the synchronised adjustment, when in the 'R' position, then you do probably need the Highline computer and its menu system.

cariad
17-10-2009, 01:54 PM
You can adjust each separately by turning knob to 'L' and then you can adjust passenger mirror only but to disable the synchronised adjustment, when in the 'R' position, then you do probably need the Highline computer and its menu system.
Thanks for that. i wish i'd gone for the highline computer now the one i have (don't even know what its called) is a bit of a pig to use. i.e not very user friendly.. :(