PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Loss of power

golf5gt
09-06-2009, 06:39 PM
My 05 Golf GT FSI 2.0 manual and only 24k miles has an intermittent fault whereby it loses power and after awhile it can be restarted as if nothing has happened.

Indy garage code check shows 'P0118 Coolant temperature sensor signal too high' also 'P1545 Throttle valve (TV) control unit malfunction' also P1479 Brake vacuum system mechanical fault' also '0522 CAN message, engine control unit Error in engine control unit' and finally 'No faults stored.'

No corrective work contemplated and advised to see whether it happens again.

Visited garage again for another code check following a no incident journey and only the same 'P0118 Coolant temp sensor signal too high' flagged up.

During the next journey last weekend the same sudden loss of power occurred ending up on the m'way hard shoulder again with the engine shuddering, this time in a downpour. Restarted after a while and got home without further difficulty.

Another code check at the garage showed up all the same codes except the 'P1479 Brake vacuum system mechanical fault' which has presumably mysteriously corrected itself.

Garage suggested replace Throttle assembly at around £450 plus labour.

Reluctant to do this as I have no faith in these computers and what if this doesn't fix it. What next? £££££££££££££££££?

Maybe the throttle valve will correct itself next time and something else will show up.

These events happened since the cam belt and water pump were replaced after being annoyingly advised every 4 years whereby the book states 120,000 miles.

The coolant bottle was found to be a litre over full and evidence of spilling out over the surrounding parts. This litre of excess coolant was removed to the correct level and has been stable since.

Very much regret giving up my old reliable Toyota to get this thing. Never in 50 years of motoring have I had such trouble. I shall be looking for a computer less car. Only for such an event to stop me on a m'way with such a fright and being retired and on my own and then restart OK I can do without and putting lives at serious risk for what ?

You will understand why I am so cynical and perplexed. Never again wil I ever contemplate another VW and this was my first.

Has anyone on here had anything similar and if so the outcome. Any comments would be much appreciated.