PDA

View Full Version : 3 button remote fob

paul.mgrath
09-06-2009, 04:47 PM
Does anybody know where i can get a 3 btton remote fob from without having to pay £150 to VW.

RUSSGT
10-06-2009, 09:52 AM
There are replacements available on eBay but you need to make sure that the serial numbers match your key. I bought a blank key with a new fob (non working remote) from eBay a while ago and swapped the internals over from the worn fob case into the new one, I then had the blank cut from the original and now have a spare key which I can at least open the door with in the event of locking the keys in the car. I also purchased a new working remote and key fob from the dealer as I read on several forums that although some of these replacements available on eBay have been successful, many of them haven't as well, so personally I wasn't prepared to risk it. The dealer only requires your vin / chassis number to order the correct keyed remote fob in for you and it will then need to be programmed to your car along with any other working remotes you have. This was included in the purchase price which for mine was AUD$360, not cheap but at least I knew it was guaranteed to work. :approve:

Russ

paul.mgrath
11-06-2009, 01:29 PM
Cheers,

Its the father in laws car and after reading my golf manual it suggests that maybe its gone out of sync. Do these fail often?

I have suggested he change the battery again and check polarity. Do they have a memory (fobs) or is the time taken to change the battery limitless?

RUSSGT
11-06-2009, 02:10 PM
I'm not 100% sure about them going out of sync, but I can tell you from my experience when I changed the casing on the original key fob that even after removing the battery and the transponder and transferring all the internals into the new case that it all worked fine probably took me 10 - 15 mins to complete the process. The following info was taken from a post on the VW Vortex forums which will give you an idea of how they work.
"The transponder, which represents the actual data carrying device of an RFID system, normally consists of a coupling element and an electronic microchip (which is fitted into the head of the fob at the base of the key blade) When the transponder, which does not usually possess its own voltage supply (battery), is not within the response range of a reader it is totally passive. The transponder is only activated when it is within the response range of a reader. The power required to activate the transponder is supplied to the transponder through the coupling unit (contact-less) as is the timing pulse and data" Put simply as the key is inserted into the ignition the power is then transferred to the transponder which then disarms the alarm / immobiliser system. The internal components of the remote itself are powered by the small battery and obviously if the battery is low that will have an effect on the responsiveness of the remote via the buttons (ie door open, door close, boot open). I would recommend renewing the battery first and seeing if that helps at all. As I said in my earlier post if all else fails it's easier to drop into the dealer and get them to reprogram it, if that's where the problem lies.

Russ

maisbitt
11-06-2009, 02:25 PM
I would definitely get the dealer to resync the key you already have. They should do it for free. Most common cause of going out of sync is repeatedly trying to zap the car open beyond the range the car can receive the key's signal.

If the key is under 2 years old then I doubt the battery is flat. How old is it?

Ben
11-06-2009, 09:21 PM
i saw jayson at chipped uk sync someones mk5 key in 30 seconds flat.

no joke.

he did something with the door lock and the ignition, so whether it was immo related or fob related i don't know.

but it was deffo 30 secs.

saabman
14-06-2009, 10:11 AM
http://vorsicht.org.hk/forums/showthread.php?t=1819

shows you how to resync a key.

I had to do mine after I put it through the washing machine :(

i saw jayson at chipped uk sync someones mk5 key in 30 seconds flat.

no joke.

he did something with the door lock and the ignition, so whether it was immo related or fob related i don't know.

but it was deffo 30 secs.