PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Mk5

ericgtisuffolk
09-06-2009, 07:11 AM
Hi guys
I was going to buy a Mk5 Golf,but after reading a few things on this forum I think I will pass.
The electrics are still a problem,just like in the MK4 Golf and Seat Leons,when are VW ever going to cure these problems,and as for the dealer's,well that's another thing.

elvismiggell
09-06-2009, 08:42 AM
That's nice.

So what are planning on buying instead?

The Fingers
09-06-2009, 11:35 AM
Hi guys
I was going to buy a Mk5 Golf,but after reading a few things on this forum I think I will pass.
The electrics are still a problem,just like in the MK4 Golf and Seat Leons,when are VW ever going to cure these problems,and as for the dealer's,well that's another thing.

You do only tend to hear bad things on forums.

I had a Mk5 golf for 3 years / 85,000 miles and you know what it never missed a beat, always started crisply even when it was -5 degrees outside.

No electrical problems to speak of - well it had a rear wiper that had a mind of its own sometimes, but that happened possible 3 or 4 times in 85K.

Would i have another MK5 - YES I WOULD, i still do a little sex wee when i hear an R32:biglaugh:

onzarob
09-06-2009, 11:48 AM
I have a MK5 and its great, no issues that are it fault. My neighbour has a 04 2.0 TDI which he bought from new with now 75K and its got all the original bits still on it. (except cambelt) ;)

I would say that any car will look unreliable from forum posts...who posts up reams of posts just saying how great there car is ;)

The VW techs only see cars which fail , so they know the problems IF you get them.

Buy a well serviced car and you will be ok.

Rob:D

elvismiggell
09-06-2009, 12:38 PM
I must admit I've only done about 3000 miles in mine since I bought it. But so far it's been nothing less than perfect in terms of reliability. :biglaugh:

nig
11-06-2009, 02:09 PM
You do only tend to hear bad things on forums.

True, the main reason why people join forums in the first place is because they have a problem with their car so dont go by anything said in a forum. i have a 2006 golf 1.4 and it has never let me down before, has never missed a beat.

everybody worries about these horror stories about cars and if they will be affected, its only natural. if your buying a used golf just use your head and spend as long as you need looking for a good one.

i always look for good main dealer service history because if the car was being serviced at a main dealer any problems would have been rectified by the right people

i hope you choose a golf coz its really a great car :D

shaft-50
11-06-2009, 06:17 PM
Well Ive been with the VAG family for the last 3 cars ranging from skoda, audi and now golf. I bought all three from new and so far, touch wood the golf has done 7k miles and not caused a single problem to me at all.

Think it is a firm/solid and well built good looking all round car and I rate it far better than the other two despite them all coming from the same mother lol ;)

Dont knock the MK5 :D