PDA

View Full Version : Question Headlamp conversion for driving abroad - what about LED running lights

markwilson
08-06-2009, 08:18 PM
I have a 2009/B8 A4 Avant S-Line (09 plate) which has the Xenon lamps with LED running lights.

I called my local dealer today (Northampton Audi) to see what I have to do to convert the lights for driving on the continent and they said they have to let them set my car up using their computer before I go and when I return. When I asked how that will work as I drive overnight through the UK, then spend 2 weeks in France, the response was that I'll have to "blind the Brits"!!!

Other posts on these forums suggested there might be a switch on the headlamp unit to convert the lights from right-hand drive to left-hand drive but then I found the option in the MMI (press car, then setup, exterior lighting... and if I'd read the manual then I would have found it on page 48!).

By shining my lights onto a wall, I can see that this changes the light positioning but what about the LED running lights - do I need to adjust them too?

The dealer is going to call me back tomorrow with a price to do the work (which will be interesting... seeing as it's a user-adjustable option...) but I have lost confidence in them now, and am hoping someone else on this forum knows the answer!

TIA, Mark

onemanparty
08-06-2009, 08:23 PM
I have a 2009/B8 A4 Avant S-Line (09 plate) which has the Xenon lamps with LED running lights.

I called my local dealer today (Northampton Audi) to see what I have to do to convert the lights for driving on the continent and they said they have to let them set my car up using their computer before I go and when I return. When I asked how that will work as I drive overnight through the UK, then spend 2 weeks in France, the response was that I'll have to "blind the Brits"!!!

Other posts on these forums suggested there might be a switch on the headlamp unit to convert the lights from right-hand drive to left-hand drive but then I found the option in the MMI (press car, then setup, exterior lighting... and if I'd read the manual then I would have found it on page 48!).

By shining my lights onto a wall, I can see that this changes the light positioning but what about the LED running lights - do I need to adjust them too?

The dealer is going to call me back tomorrow with a price to do the work (which will be interesting... seeing as it's a user-adjustable option...) but I have lost confidence in them now, and am hoping someone else on this forum knows the answer!

TIA, Mark

I have an A5 and have just come back from France the Head Lamp converter via MMI is for European travel and LED lights do not need to be adjusted they are the same on European models.

a8 tech
08-06-2009, 08:32 PM
Ask thr dealer to check if the down load for tourist mode function on mmi is a supported for your vehicle,some early A5 model's had this function missing and by downloading the code change from the server the function was reapplied,you could also do this with vag com but best to be done by the dealers vas online connection

interbear
09-06-2009, 02:41 PM
You don't need to convert the LED running lights.

All you need to do is use the MMI interface to convert the Xenon headlights. It's easy and a fantastic feature for anyone regularly driving on the continent.

jkh112
09-06-2009, 06:34 PM
also remember the digital speedo can be set to show kph instead of mph, which is very useful when driving on the wrong side of the road

a8 tech
09-06-2009, 08:26 PM
You don't need to convert the LED running lights.

All you need to do is use the MMI interface to convert the Xenon headlights. It's easy and a fantastic feature for anyone regularly driving on the continent.

Some early model A5 and A4 had this function missing and there is a modification to enable the function

markwilson
16-06-2009, 09:23 PM
Thank you to everyone who took the time to respond to this post. The dealer did call me the next day and graciously offered to carry out the conversion free of charge. I said I was glad to hear that they wouldn't charge me, seeing as I'd found the option in the MMI and they were... shall we say... "a little embarrassed".

When I called in a short while later to pick up some spare bulbs (another legal requirement in France), they confirmed that they had checked on their A4 demonstrator and could see the option there... glad to see that Audi dealers know their cars so well...

So, in summary:

The headlamps can be converted in the MMI (at least on the 2009 B8 model in S-Line spec).
The LED running lights do not need to be converted but daytime use can be deactivated in the MMI.
I'll check out the km conversion that jkh112 suggested.

Thanks again to everyone who offered assistance.

2.7 S-line
16-06-2009, 09:31 PM
enjoy your trip

(i so need a holiday - 3 week old daughter and a 2yr old son have worn me out - very jelous ! )

Red 2
17-06-2009, 06:16 AM
Can confirm that even on my March 2008 SE (with Xenons), it is very easy to switch the Xenons to continental mode via the MMI and equally easy to change the digital display to km/h.

Nice touch by Audi to make the cars holiday friendly!:)

mallymclane
17-06-2009, 08:30 AM
The LED running lights do not need to be converted but daytime use can be deactivated in the MMI.

[/LIST]

don't forget a lot of european countries, especially Scandinavia (where I am right now..) generally have daytime lights anyway....