PDA

View Full Version : I have no dipstick!

Black Phantom
08-06-2009, 04:15 PM
Or I should say, my A4 has no dipstick. I spent five minutes looking for it and then resorted to the handbook. What a carry on to check your oil. If you need to top up you have to go back and forth checking the oil level from inside the car, that is of course after you have run it up to temperature and then switching off for so many minutes to find out if it needs oil in the first place. I yearn for a dipstick, either that or I'm suffering from old fartitis.

Plife
08-06-2009, 04:52 PM
A few people have compained about this. Personally don't find it an issue, I just check it at somepoint and if it is not max I pour some more in!

A dipstick does seem an easier option though!

ScottyUK
08-06-2009, 06:36 PM
Sit tight. Some guys on a US forum have been trying to source one. They seem to be trying the different sticks from different models. Hopefully they'll suss it and solve it for all ;)

Black Phantom
08-06-2009, 09:25 PM
Thanks Scotty. It's good to know the US is good for something!:D

a8 tech
08-06-2009, 09:28 PM
there is a dipstick that we use in the dealers but its a universal measure for vag and costs about £75

DougC
08-06-2009, 10:49 PM
Or I should say, my A4 has no dipstick. I spent five minutes looking for it and then resorted to the handbook. What a carry on to check your oil. If you need to top up you have to go back and forth checking the oil level from inside the car, that is of course after you have run it up to temperature and then switching off for so many minutes to find out if it needs oil in the first place. I yearn for a dipstick, either that or I'm suffering from old fartitis.

IMPO, Audi are a bunch of dipsticks for not including one, especially on such an expensive vehicle. Most inconvenient, but I guess that's what they call progress?

:mad:

johnvw
11-06-2009, 06:04 AM
Yes, I am not at all happy either.
Considering purchasing the A4B8 late 2009, the dealer service manager just shrugs it off, you just do not need it.
Well I like to keep an eye on the oil level ( my wife`s golf gti nearly bought me undone).
The manager said just turn the ignition on and wait three minutes and check the display---- give me a break. And if you should over fill or the fill sensor malfunctions ???
Surely something is available to check the oil level at moderate cost.
Regards John

a8 tech
12-06-2009, 07:32 PM
please open this link for possible solution
http://a6retrofit.tripod.com/articles/a4a5oildipstick.html

johnvw
16-06-2009, 06:52 AM
Dear A8 Tech
I have just been made aware that there is a dip stick for the A4B8, but Audi will not/are very reluctant to make it available for sale.

Would you be aware if there is an access point that will allow a probe ( dip stick) to be inserted so as to determine the oil level. The calibration would not be a major problem as the min/max could be determined from the visual display.

Does the A4 2008 model have a dip stick and is this engine layout different to the current B8 ?
I hope to purchase the 2.0L petrol model and just fumed when the service manager said " just bring your car in and we will top it up for you", 20/30 klms for a top up.... I do not think so.

Maybe just a small concern but I think Audi has underestimated the removal of the dip stick, particularly for those who like to keep an eye on the maintenance.

I am becoming bloody annoyed at the lack of information being made available.
As always your comments are most wwelcomed
Regards John:zx11:

a8 tech
16-06-2009, 06:47 PM
The dipstick tube is fitted to all B8 models,the tube is used for oil extraction and also so the dealer can use the universal dip stick to measure the oil level.
Regards A8

jimr1
16-06-2009, 08:30 PM
I have worked with a few dipsticks in my time :D

Black Phantom
16-06-2009, 10:29 PM
The dipstick tube is fitted to all B8 models,the tube is used for oil extraction and also so the dealer can use the universal dip stick to measure the oil level.
Regards A8

Thanks for all the inside info a8. You have to say though, if the dealer finds it necessary to use a dipstick to check the oil why not just fit it for the rest of us to do the same?:(

DougC
17-06-2009, 01:07 AM
Thanks for all the inside info a8. You have to say though, if the dealer finds it necessary to use a dipstick to check the oil why not just fit it for the rest of us to do the same?:(

Yep, IMPO it's a classic case of "penny pinching" :(

Niko
17-06-2009, 09:31 AM
Am I missing something, my 143 TDI has a dipstick MY08. I am assuming they have removed from MY09 or not an option with TFSI only available on TDI?

johnvw
20-06-2009, 03:42 AM
A8 Tech, Thank you,
Your assistance is always most welcomed.
Regards John

Staffylover
29-03-2015, 06:01 PM
Did anyone source a dipstick in the UK? Mine also does not have one and we are keen to source one

Scott K
29-03-2015, 06:20 PM
Talk about resurrecting an old thread!! Well documented-ask your Audi dealer or search Laser tools. You could always search the a4 B8 section for more up to date threads. There are quite a few more recent ones. Think they are about £15.

Staffylover
29-03-2015, 07:29 PM
Ok thanks, I was not sure how old this thread was (can't see any dates etc) I have been searching Google without much success and came across this thread via Google. I'll have a look around the forum and if need be ring audi

b206
29-03-2015, 08:47 PM
I have the same problem with mine - the MMI is crap. Contacted Stoke Audi last week and asked for a dipstick for my engine. Their response:

We cannot advise fitting a dip stick to your vehicle as it is not factory standard.

I then asked how Audi techs check the oil level without a dipstick, their response:

We have a special workshop tool for measuring the level of oil in the engine when the vehicle is in for work.

Yeah, you use a frigging dipstick which you won't sell to the end user! If the MMI actually worked and didn't take so long to register a change in oil level (sometimes days), then fair enough. But the MMI is just absolute garbage! The issue is made worse by the fact that Audi won't recognise the issue and won't sell the appropriate dipstick as they want you to book your car in and charge you an hours labour for the privilege!

/RANT

Scott K
29-03-2015, 09:13 PM
Ok thanks, I was not sure how old this thread was (can't see any dates etc) I have been searching Google without much success and came across this thread via Google. I'll have a look around the forum and if need be ring audi
Hopefully this will help.http://http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?128736-Dipstick&highlight=Dipstick (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?128736-Dipstick&highlight=Dipstick)
Good luck. There are a few guys on the forum who have fitted them.

Crasher
29-03-2015, 09:24 PM
Only Audi could turn the dipstick into an adjustable tool that you have to refer to two charts for when using... "How to make a simple task complicated" could be their spin on the old advert slogan "Never making a drama out of a crisis"