PDA

View Full Version : Selling my Mk6 2.0td GT DSG

nebw
08-06-2009, 12:20 PM
09 plate, 8k miles (dealer did 1st service early and stamped book on pickup), black pearlescent, leather, RNS510 nav, 6cd changer, 18" Vancouvers, winter pack, bluetooth (dealer fitted, not the factory version so more basic but will work with non rSAP phones).

Bought ex-demo, great car, looks fantastic in black with the Vancouvers and black leather, all works as it should, but I don't think I'm a Golf man. Waiting to see what the supplying dealer can offer me as a swap, otherwise it goes in autotrader.

If anyone's interested I can arrange pics.

p.s. should mention that:
- the wheels are unmarked, and although the car has 8k miles on it the tyres are not particularly worn. It's on Michelin Exaltos and ran up those miles all on the motorway (the dealer's sales manager, in just 2 months);
- the boot and rear wheel arches now have substantial extra soundproofing (butyl elastomer damping sheets followed by 1 to 2 layers of closed cell foam), the stuff professional installers use, under the trim and carpets. I just didn't have the enthusiasm to carry on and do the floorpan and under the dash until I was sure I wanted the car.

Sam
08-06-2009, 12:43 PM
Is this a For Sale advert?

Robbie G
08-06-2009, 01:06 PM
If so, it's not a very good one, as there's no price!

nebw
08-06-2009, 01:49 PM
Hi, yes it is a for sale advert of sorts. I kept it in the Mk6 section because I thought it would be of limited interest to anyone except those already nosing round this section. I'm not really expecting to sell it through here, just flagging it in case anyone is interested.

Don't know what price I'm after yet: depends what the dealer says later today.

Sam
08-06-2009, 02:14 PM
If it's a For Sale advert then it needs a price as per the rules - it also should be in the For Sale section.

Once you've got a price....

Griff449
08-06-2009, 06:39 PM
Suprised it hasnt been removed given how harsh you treated my for sale that I might add was put in the correct section.....................

Robbie G
08-06-2009, 10:19 PM
Surprised to find precious bitches on a distinguished forum such as this :D.

Sam
09-06-2009, 12:06 AM
Suprised it hasnt been removed given how harsh you treated my for sale that I might add was put in the correct section.....................

Sorry, who is the "you" to whom you refer?

stuart
09-06-2009, 06:51 AM

There is a minor difference in this.... he has the car in his possession... you did not at the time!

Griff449
09-06-2009, 12:56 PM
Errr beg to differ, I do...................... You know full well it has been bought and paid for and is just sat at the dealership waiting for me to pick up next sat at 12.30. Suggest you get your facts right before posting................

maisbitt
09-06-2009, 01:28 PM
I just find it so weird that 2 people want to offload their cars so early on into ownership - the depreciation is huge in the first year. Most people would be lucky to get 75% of their investment back on a car less than a few months old and 70% if it's pushing 6 months.

I know the dealer would be asking for at least 95% of list price on the forecourt, but he'd be looking to make new car mark-up on the car that was sold back to him.

What the public will pay a dealer and what they'll pay a private seller are generally 2 different things once you pass the £10000 mark, unless it is somthing very rare or exotic.

Nebw, I think the dealer will be looking to give you no more than £2500 less than they can sell it for, that's quite a sting. I part ex-ed my 57 Plate 2.0TDI 170 GT Sport for £12000, and it is up for £14995 on the forecourt.

stuart
09-06-2009, 01:29 PM
My FACTS ARE RIGHT!!! -----It was NOT! in your possession when you advertised it! and still is'nt......

nebw
09-06-2009, 01:40 PM
It's very sweet of you all to worry about me losing money ! I've been buying and selling sub 1 year old cars for a few years, and have lost no more than the normal levels of depreciation. It's been a great way to try out lots of shiny new machinery.

I wanted to try out the Mk6, and waited till I spotted a really keenly priced one. I don't think I'll struggle to break even if I sell it now. The extortionate prices most dealers are asking for their ex-demo cars only helps.

You do have to spend a lot of time scanning the listings, but if you're a car obsessive anyway then that's not a big ordeal.

maisbitt
09-06-2009, 01:50 PM
I try not to lose too much money on the cars - I always aim to pay 8% less than list on a new one - that helps for starters, but i'm usually hankering for a replacement after 2 years.

I got rid of my MK5 Golf after 20 months because I felt like I got a good part ex price for it (was £11000 valuation in Parkers, got £12000 for it).

It had always felt tainted since it was a month old and a bus clobbered it when it was parked up. £6000 insurance work later and a horrendous experience with the bus' insurance company, as well as a poor repair (initially) left me despising the car, even though it was A1 eventually.

1 year depreciation is huge in my terms thouh, not as much for a VW, I must admits, as say a Ford, Frenchy, or Vauxhall, but I take out 5 year loans and generally don't part ex until the car is worth at least a grand more than I still owe on it.

Arguing with the moderators when they're technically right seems a bit silly for certain people to do also. They make the rules and enforce them.

nebw
17-06-2009, 05:09 PM
Traded in (for a "genuine" £20k, which is what I paid for it at a main VW dealer, in case people are interested in prices being achieved out there). List was £26.4k.

Mods - feel free to close the thread and thanks for tolerating my inability to work out whether this was a for sale advert or not.

elidag
17-06-2009, 05:44 PM
Out of interest what did you trade it in for?

nebw
17-06-2009, 06:33 PM
This beauty:

http://usedcars.audi.co.uk/zoom.aspx?Id=600559973

Robbie G
17-06-2009, 08:05 PM
Fair play, that's at least one step up in class imo. Lovely car.

maisbitt
18-06-2009, 08:26 AM
If the new car doesn't meet your high standards of soundproofing then you'll need to remortgage the house for the next step up - Bentley or Roller.

Good dealing on the part ex - there'll be some mug out there that'll pay the £23K it'll be sitting on the forecourt for.

nebw
18-06-2009, 09:23 AM
If the new car doesn't meet your high standards of soundproofing then you'll need to remortgage the house for the next step up - Bentley or Roller.

2008 onwards A8s are very quiet indeed. They put in a new underbody and wheel well liner with a triple layer of some sort of fleece material, thickened up the glass, lined the engine compartment further, etc etc. Quietest car in the luxury class, supposedly. Also got the S8's more direct rack, and better resolved damping. Very nice, but nearly 3 feet longer than the Golf....

It does seem odd how people are willing to pay so much more for the newer Bentleys like the GT. There's no way they're worth 3-4 times as much as a nearly new A8.

maisbitt
18-06-2009, 09:31 AM
Footballers buy the vast majority of Bentleys, as something comfy but fast to go with their uncomfortable but very fast Ferrarris and Lamborghinis.

With the way VW prices hold at the dealership, buying nearly new makes no sense to me. You got a good deal when you bought, but I can guarantee that someone will pay £23K for your car now, whereas with some vigorous negotiation they could get a brand new one to the same spec for about £500 more.

For that very reason i'd never buy an almost new VW (I've never seen an ex demonstrator locally that wasn't up for less than 95% of list, you must have done some serious talking to get your deal!).

nebw
18-06-2009, 09:45 AM
You've just got to keep your eyes peeled and pounce when the bargains appear ! With A8s there's a variation of £15k in prices of 3 month old sub-10k mile 3.0tdi Sports of very similar spec. I'd hate to be the guy buying the one at the top end.