PDA

View Full Version : Important Broken bonnet release lever.

jayegee16
07-06-2009, 12:24 PM
2005 VW Golf 1.6 FSI.
I went to open the bonnet & pulled on the release lever & something went snap. Now the release lever is just swinging loose. Obviously I need to check oil & water etc and fill screenwash. Is this a easy DIY job or do I need to put it in the dealers. Thanks in advance for any help given,

Ben
07-06-2009, 03:44 PM
wrong section for you post matey. Had you gone to the correct section you would't have needed to look long for your answer. ;)

I would normally post a link to the thread you require but as i'm sat in the middle of heaton park waiting for the oasis gig to begin i can't post the link as i'm on my mobile.

RickT
07-06-2009, 09:16 PM
See here.

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/search.php?searchid=1101211

Rick

coss9
09-08-2009, 08:19 PM
I just tried to click that link, but it hasn't worked.

Thanks in advance.

coss9
09-08-2009, 08:51 PM
Just did a search for "bonnet release" on the forum and found a few useful threads.

Thanks anyway.

coss9
10-08-2009, 06:45 PM
Hi,

How I can tell the difference between a broken bonnet release cable, or if the lever has just become unattached? There is no longer any resistance when pulling the lever, whereas it was quite difficult before.

I've been quoted ~£65 for the unattached lever, and ~£150 if it's the cable (depending on how long it takes for them to open the bonnet).

Thanks in advance.

BennyboyTDI
12-08-2009, 04:58 PM
Its must be a common fault as i know of two others who have had this happen to them also, is it not still under warranty as the two i know of had theirs done for nothing mate, seams a bit on the steep side for a bonnet catch, if your handy with the tools mate i,d source the bits and fit them yourself if you can can,t be more than 30 quid for both the parts,;)

coss9
14-08-2009, 06:00 PM
Thanks BennyboyTDI - I only just checked my emails, and found someone had replied to my original post.

Unfortunately for me, I'm not handy with the tools :confused: I could have sourced the parts really cheap as well (staff discount at an auto factors).

My car isn't under warranty (I hope not, or I've been had:mad:) - it's an 04 plate.

On Wednesday, the coolant warning light went, so I booked my car in for the bonnet repair and to see what was going on with the warning light (I couldn't check the coolant, as I couldn't access the engine compartment since the bonnet lever had gone!). Turns out the radiator was leaking! I did a search on Google, and apparently a few other Mk5's have had this fault. Bits of the radiator had corroded/rotted away. Total bill - just over £400 :(