PDA

View Full Version : 2007 A6 3.0TDI Brake Discs & Pads

nicktowe
07-06-2009, 11:51 AM
I have been trying to change the front discs and pads, got 45k from the first set. I have done this on other cars but am struggling with the Audi to remove the caliper. This discs are lipped.

What is the best way to do this? Do i need to remove pads first? If so which of the spring clips at the front of the caliper do I need to release?

Car is a 2007 Le Mans Quattro 3.0tdi tiptronic (if thats relevant)

ps. These discs are flippin heavy!

ed a6 1.8T
07-06-2009, 12:04 PM
would have thought that the disks have a lip on them as they have worn resulting in the lip. Remove the brake fluid reservoir cap and lever the pads back so allowing them to get over the lip.
hope this helps

nicktowe
07-06-2009, 12:05 PM
would have thought that the disks have a lip on them as they have worn resulting in the lip. Remove the brake fluid reservoir cap and lever the pads back so allowing them to get over the lip.
hope this helps

Tried that, couldn't budge the pads at all

Peter D
07-06-2009, 03:04 PM
I suspect you are levering in the wrong place. What brake caliper do you have. do you have a wiggley spring or a fairly straight flat sping. PM your email address and brake type and I'll send you the data. Regards Peter

Peter D
07-06-2009, 03:25 PM
I am concerned that you are doing this without a manual. Do you realise that you are going to have the take the Caliper mounting bracket off and you will need a 17 mm hex socket to get it off and 200Nm range torque wrench to put it back on. I amalso concerned you ask "which springs, as the calipers detailed for your car only have one spring per caliper. Have your brake pads got wear sensors and do the back of the pad with the sensor have an arrow on them. Regards Peter

Peter D
07-06-2009, 05:01 PM
You may have aluminium twin pot calipers. They have what looks like two springs but are infact one. Regards Peter

nicktowe
07-06-2009, 05:05 PM
I am concerned that you are doing this without a manual. Do you realise that you are going to have the take the Caliper mounting bracket off and you will need a 17 mm hex socket to get it off and 200Nm range torque wrench to put it back on. I am also concerned you ask "which springs, as the calipers detailed for your car only have one spring per caliper. Have your brake pads got wear sensors and do the back of the pad with the sensor have an arrow on them. Regards Peter

I have the hex socket and the torque wrench, I have done lots of brakes on other cars. There are spring clips visible from the front, the pads have a spring clip on the back of them.

Pad wear sensors just uplug from the multiplug

Peter D
07-06-2009, 05:33 PM
And what calipers have you got are they ATE single pots or what. Do you knoe the torque settings for the guide pins and the bracket bolts. Regards Peter

Peter D
07-06-2009, 05:35 PM
All the pads have clips or just the one with the wear sensor. Your not exactly helping yourself here. Regards Peter

nicktowe
07-06-2009, 09:35 PM
All the pads have clips or just the one with the wear sensor. Your not exactly helping yourself here. Regards Peter

Thanks for the help guys. As time is tight its off to the dealer tomorrow.

All the pads have clips on the back. I tried to pm you but it wont work.

thanks again

Slaine
10-06-2009, 02:22 PM
You're not allowed to PM people until you have 5 posts.

Peter D
10-06-2009, 02:55 PM
Sounds like you have FNRG60 brakes two pads per wheel and all have a clip on the back The caliper has a single spring retainer. A small amount of levering through the access is the outer of the caliper will move the rear pad back and the piston in, then with the caliper slides undone then you can remove the caliper. Remember there is a torx bolt that retains the disk on the hub after removing the caliper mounting bracket. Regards Peter

superkel
06-11-2009, 05:04 PM
going to fit rear pads on my 07 2.0 tdi what kind of hand held tool do i need cheers kellykars:1zhelp:

Peter D
06-11-2009, 06:20 PM
If have electronic handbrake then you need Vag-Com to back it off then reset it on completion and some spanners. Starting your own thread would attrack more readers as this is an old thread. Regards Peter

Peter D
06-11-2009, 06:26 PM
If have electronic handbrake then you need Vag-Com to back it off then reset it on completion and some spanners. Starting your own thread would attrack more readers as this is an old thread. Regards Peter