PDA

View Full Version : vibrations during driving

RIZWAN180
03-04-2007, 02:04 PM
Hello,

I have a problem with my Passat 1.9TDI (130BHP registered in Dec 91) when driving along on the motorway. I have only had the car a month and there is an intermittent vibration throughout the car. There is no particular speed it happens, and it normally lasts for 10 minutes and is then fine again. The fuel consumption increases drastically to around 30mpg from 50mpg. The steering wheel, seats, car body all vibrate and its not restricted to any speed.

Can anybody give me an idea? the problem I am having is that it is intermittent and no mechanic can diagnose the issue.

thanks.

Desdesigner
03-04-2007, 03:14 PM
Hi there,

I dont know much about cars but have you hade your camber/caster, toe in/ toe out checked lately, also, it could be something to do with your wheel bearing?

Someone correct me please if im wrong!

I reply only because i hit a curb dodging some lucky road kill in my other car ('05 MG ZR) which bent the sub-frame slightly. The whells are parellel, just not opposite!

I say this as i get similar symptoms whilst driving in the MG.

RIZWAN180
04-04-2007, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate your help.

I am not a mechanic so I may be wrong but I would expect a fault with the wheel alignment or geometry to be consistent in vibrations occuring. the problem with this is that its very erratic and lasts on 10 minutes on each occurrence.

I was wondering if this had anything to do with the fuel pump in the tank or engine not working properly. I have noticed that the noise of the pump running is very evident from the back of the car, in a ticking noise every 0.5 seconds.

Rizwan.

Saturn
15-12-2009, 12:22 AM
I know this is an old post, but did you find the solution??

I have a similiar problem, but much less pronounced and no mpg fluctuations, although mines generally not that good.

Am going to start looking at maf sensor, fuel filter, air filter, and finally injector loom if that doesn't fix it.
Also going to have wheel balance checked just to rule it out, even though it doesn't feel anything like an out of balance wheel.

maf
16-12-2009, 12:12 AM
i have owned a 130 sport estate for 2 & 1/2 years and it eats cv joints [and boots] 5 joints & about 8 boots since i have had it the last joint made steering very weird certainly the first thing to check

Saturn
16-12-2009, 01:46 PM
hmm thanks for the info.
Boots have recently been done and cv joints also seem to be fine at the moment.

Noticed the same vibration today,, but during acceleration at low speeds (about 30mph). Felt like engine missfire to me. was just that kind of jerkiness, but its still quite subtle. Also is quite cold here today and seems to be slightly more obvious.

am just about to ring vw and get a quote on injector loom. Might be worth trying. Have checked everything else now that I can think of.....

mouche100
22-12-2009, 11:26 PM
Hi, I was told that vibration on acceleration from low revs is very likely a sign that the flywheel (part of the clutch system) is about to go south, apperently these cars have whats called a dual-mass flywheel which can go from time to time, anyone else have any ideas??

Saturn
23-12-2009, 12:45 AM
aaah great. thats all I needed to hear! lol :aargh4:
I hope not, because thats going to be an expensive job.

Mine is more noticeable at speed 40-70mph, and only under a bit of load. Feels more like it could be a drive shaft or something suspension related.

Am just waiting at the moment to see if it gets any worse. Has to be serviced in 2000miles, so hopefully it will hold out until then!

caldirun
23-12-2009, 08:49 AM
hmm thanks for the info.
Boots have recently been done and cv joints also seem to be fine at the moment.

Noticed the same vibration today,, but during acceleration at low speeds (about 30mph). Felt like engine missfire to me. was just that kind of jerkiness, but its still quite subtle. Also is quite cold here today and seems to be slightly more obvious.

am just about to ring vw and get a quote on injector loom. Might be worth trying. Have checked everything else now that I can think of.....
Cold weather, jerkiness, poor fuel economy= injector wiring loom (push-on connectors have become loose on injector terminals due to the plastic insulation becoming hard)

Saturn
23-12-2009, 08:31 PM
I'll think you find its not always. Changed mine. Made sod all difference to fuel or jerking/vibration. Mine were also real tightly plugged onto injectors. Also changed the fuel filter.