PDA

View Full Version : 2.5Tdi EGR

Pistunbroke
06-06-2009, 09:08 PM
Hi, just sharing my recent experience.

Having recently had a gasket blow on the pipe from the EGR valve to inlet manifold, I removed the centre inlet manifold section and noticed quite a build up of sludge & carbon where the EGR enters the manifold.

I cleaned it all out & replaced the gasket, but on assembly I thought I would try running the car without EGR so left the vacuum pipe off to the valve & just kinked it over.

The difference in performance is loads better, not as hessitant as it was when accelerating from low revs, turbo seems to spin up quicker & pulls really hard from about 1500 all the way up & bonus MPG gone up.

Totally tranformed the car from being great to bloody brilliant.

Anyone else had similiar experience ??

sr-performance
07-06-2009, 10:22 PM
Hiya mate,
most diesel's run loads better with the egr blanked off as it's not dumping crap from exhaust back into the inlet.. as you now know.. :beerchug:

paul20v
07-06-2009, 11:13 PM
Hi
sorry for hijacking the thread
but on a 1.9 pd engine which is the best way of blanking off the egr
without tripping any fault codes in
thanks
Paul

sr-performance
08-06-2009, 12:01 AM
Hiya mate, no prob..
you can either make a blanking plate to fit between pipe and egr valve or just try it with egr vac pipe blanked off.. it shouldn't throw a fault code i've done it on a few cars now and not had any put fault light on.

paul20v
08-06-2009, 12:24 AM
Cheers i will try the pipe and if that works i will make a blanking plate up.

sr-performance
08-06-2009, 05:49 PM
No prob mate, always glad to help.. :beerchug:

Dave Avant
09-06-2009, 11:54 AM
I have a 1.9 TDi 130 and have had the EGR disconnected for 2 years with no probs.

EGR valves are the most common reason for emission smoke test failures in MOTs. They're a good idea in principal and when the engine is new but after some miles more so short journeys they get dirty and put crap back into the engine to burn creating more smoke. Mines does run well and pull well from low down, plus the oil stays cleaner and thats an improvement as diesel oil is nearly always black.

Stuart7
10-06-2009, 07:15 PM
Is the EGR valve easily identified on the 2.5TDi? I'd like to have a go at running mine with it disbled...

Pistunbroke
11-06-2009, 07:59 PM
The EGR valve is located near the turbo sat in the middle of the engine, & has a single vacuum pipe going to it.

Stuart7
11-06-2009, 09:18 PM
I think I found it tonight... Under the big plastic cover, towards the right hand side of the engine... so I only need to pull the vaccum pipe off and fold it over with a tyrap? Simples!