PDA

View Full Version : Stafford Audi 'v' MidlandVW - Who helped the most???

Kieron Mullan
05-06-2009, 10:56 PM
Hi All

Just thought I would share my customer service experience with you all between a main dealer and an independent. Apologies in advance for the lengthy post.....

I just had my 55 plate A6 2.7TDI serviced by Stafford Audi. Just to be clear, this was my choice - I wanted a main dealer to maintain the logbook with a full Audi Service History.

MD Service
The car was booked in for its 3rd Long Life service (59k) with an emission warning light - the first problem since I bought it new:

Servicing carried out without problem. However, the emmisions light was another story. Their advice was the warning light had apparently been diagnosed and reset - it came straight back on when restarted.

Given that the car had - while the light was on - continued to run fine; no hunting, starting issues nor increased fuel consumption, I spoke to the Audi service manager and argued that it seemed to me it was more likely to be a carbon (or similar) buildup. It is after all a mechanical item!!!

I was told the diagnostics said it needed a new valve - and that was what was needed to reset the 'warning light' - no real interest. After 10 minutes of 'logic' discussions, he went off to speak to the engineer, returnin to tell me he had checked the valve and was not a carbon build up; the only option was a new valve.

'Throttle valve' - fitted - c£380. :aargh4:

2nd Opinion

Was advised to try MidlandVW (http://www.midlandvw.co.uk/home.html).....

They ran it through the computed diagnostics, and confirmed it was the Throttle Valve, which they felt was strange, given the mileage.

After listening to my logic (which i was now starting to question in my own mind) There and then they offered to pull the valve out to check. Wahey, lots of crap - valve was taken off, cleaned and refitted - No emissions light; no new throttle valve. The cost of doing all of this - £30.

Conclusion
I am not arguing about MD prices - their overheands are greater than independents, and it was my choice to go to a MD. BUT, I get seriously annoyed with being fobbed off as if the guy off the street doesn't know anything and secondly, being blatantly lied to that they had checked the valve.

This was the first time I had used MidlandVW and cannot praise them enough for their refreshing 'listening' approach to customer service and flexibility to help on the spot.

If your looking for an independent in the West Mids cannock area, I strongly recommend you give them a try.

Cheers

VAGMAN54
06-06-2009, 04:02 PM
unfortunately a very common story,main dealers have only themselves to blame but on a positive it is only "some" but i think the independants take time to check it out clean/repair before replace...cars are becoming more complex and the service and diagnostics at independants is far more exceeding main dealers..