PDA

View Full Version : Power switching for 12v sockets

bw10030
05-06-2009, 08:50 PM
Hi all, just changed my 2005 Mk 5 GT TDI for an 09 Golf Estate Sportline TDI. All OK in the first month except for a headlight alignment problem and a recall (already!) for 'engine management software' update. VW build quality problems still an issue?

Here's a question though: On the 2005 model, the 12v power sockets in the centre console (in front of the gear lever), and in the boot, were always 'on'. In the 2009 car, they are only on when the ignition is on. This means I can't leave a fridge running in the boot , or a sat nav or phone charging, when I'm not in the car.

Any ideas why this has changed, and is it possible to put it back to the 'old' permanently on design? Are these socket hard wired, or are they software controlled so that VAG COM can change the operation?

Any ideas gratefully received!

RickT
06-06-2009, 03:13 PM
Hi,

In the Mk5 Golf, the 12v sockets are not always on, they are only on for 1 hour after the ignition has been turned off,

Have you tried charging your phone after turning the car on and off??

if they have disabled this feature it seems like a backwards step.,.....

Rick

bw10030
06-06-2009, 08:49 PM
The charger fo my sat nav has an LED light in it, and that goes out as soon as the ignition is turned off.

As you say, looks like a backward step . . .

I never noticed the power going off after an hour on the old one either - in fact I'm sure it didn't. I've run a fridge in the boot for longer than that whilst walking around shops and the like.

However it does sound like there's some software control involved, question is, can it be changed?

richard@thebrae
06-06-2009, 11:23 PM
I had a look on Elsawin and the cigarette socket and the power socket in the boot are on the same feed from the fuse panel at the side of the dash (fuse 42) this in turn is fed from the power controller ( J519 ) via relay J59 ( relay B9) ( X contact relief relay on panel under dash) which also feeds fuses 40 and 41. any software controll would be in J519 but I dont think so.