PDA

View Full Version : Smoke Legality

safire_eye
03-04-2007, 12:02 AM
Alright guys,

I have a black mk4 1.4 polo match which comes with orange indicator and red brake light covers as standard. I want to smoke/tint these so that they match the bodywork. I find the orange and red on black a little gaudy.

I am aware there are presmoked replacement covers available for a fair chunk of money, but im a cheapskate so im gonna spray them.

Could someone just set the record straight for me, as to what the legality/legal limits/watever info you have, of smoking brake lights and indicators is?

Cheers

Eshrules
03-04-2007, 08:21 AM
Alright guys,

I have a black mk4 1.4 polo match which comes with orange indicator and red brake light covers as standard. I want to smoke/tint these so that they match the bodywork. I find the orange and red on black a little gaudy.

I am aware there are presmoked replacement covers available for a fair chunk of money, but im a cheapskate so im gonna spray them.

Could someone just set the record straight for me, as to what the legality/legal limits/watever info you have, of smoking brake lights and indicators is?

Cheers

ok, as far as i am aware... as long as sufficient light is showing and you don't obstruct the reflectors...you should be fine...

but if you go overboard and make the lights too feint and/or block out your reflectors, you will be asking to get pulled and it will be an MOT failure....

Alun
03-04-2007, 06:06 PM
Not too sure on this one. I bought some smoked rear lens' (from ebay - Hella). They were supposed to come with reflectors to stick on the bumper, but the seller never sent 'em. Still, it passed an MOT with them on and I havn't been pulled. As for how dark you can go, as menioned before, don't black them out! Check my pics in the members galleries to give you an idea of how dark to go.

Sam
03-04-2007, 06:32 PM
Don't do what I did (check my pic in the link below) - the law states you must have a rear reflector.

If you get rear-ended while sporting smoked rear lights the claim could be interesting.

Alun
03-04-2007, 06:43 PM
Don't do what I did (check my pic in the link below) - the law states you must have a rear reflector.

If you get rear-ended while sporting smoked rear lights the claim could be interesting.

I never knew that.............................:o