PDA

View Full Version : Hello, am I being stupid? (TDI)

tobyho
02-04-2007, 11:47 PM
A great way to introduce myself I guess! Still, just wait till you hear my question- how do I know if my turbo is working? I've just bought a '98 148k Passat 110bhp tdi sport estate. It's my first diesel car and I'm certainly enjoying the amazing mpg figures I'm getting, especially in comparison to my Honda CRV and Saab 900 full turbo. That's just the thing though, the Saab has a boost gauge and gives a definate shove in the back when it's turbo is blowing, the Passat gives me little indication and it IS slow.
Is there a simple test I can do, or would the dash warning lights show if I had just bought/been a lemon?
Yours in anticipation..
Tobe

Lex Luthor
03-04-2007, 09:12 AM
If all is well it should pull strongly from 1500 rpm and not run out of puff till about 4000.
The best way to check would be to have someone with VAGCOM read the engine stats while it is driven.
The most common issue is the MAF dying and to do a quick test you can unplug it and see what happens. If there is no change ,or even if it runs better then the MAF is duff.
The MAF is near the air cleaner box.
If you put your location in your profile you might get an offer of help.

tobyho
03-04-2007, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the speedy reply Lex, it does pull evenly up to 4000 rpm but will give a couple of clean runs on the dual carriageway to see. If by MAF you mean the air mass filter, I'm aware that this has been changed recently, but that seems like a quick test so I'll give it a go.
Am in Bristol incidentally.
Thanks again

Eshrules
03-04-2007, 11:10 AM
if the car is pulling evenly up to a decent speed, could it just be that this car is slower than the saab you had before, dont forget, it is only a 110bhp and the passat estate is not the lightest car in the VAG range. whilst it is no slouch, i should imagine the 0-60 speed for this model would be around 15/16s if not a little more....

does the car carry itself ok to decent speeds?

Lex Luthor
03-04-2007, 12:19 PM
From Parkers 0-60 is 12 secs for 110 bhp Sport estate but like all diesels it should feel strong at peak torque.

Lex Luthor
03-04-2007, 12:20 PM
If by MAF you mean the air mass filter, I'm aware that this has been changed recently, but that seems like a quick test so I'll give it a go.

No it's not the filter...its the airflow sensor.

Eshrules
03-04-2007, 12:29 PM
From Parkers 0-60 is 12 secs for 110 bhp Sport estate but like all diesels it should feel strong at peak torque.

i agree, but you have to bear in mind this is a 98 110 bhp with 148k on the clock... there is 9 years worth of wear and tear on that engine... it might not be operating at full efficiency anyway.

the problem seems to be when he's booting it, not all the time, which doesnt seem to be consistent with a MAF failure....

there is another part which is common on passats, but the darned thing is escaping me, i will do some research and post back.

no harm in checking the MAF though.... :beerchug:

tobyho
03-04-2007, 03:58 PM
Thanks for both your input, I've just taken it on a longish run and up the motorway. I think you're right and common sense shall prevail- the turbo is working, it just delivers it's power a lot more gradually. Overtaking is a lot more thought through.. I've been suffering from new car jitters- after looking for one for a while, I want to be sure I got it right.
The "air mass meter" was changed at a main dealer last year so should be OK if that's the same part, there's proof of fixing it after loss of power was originally reported back then. It's had main dealer services every 10k so should be in fair health.
I think I may look into a Tunit chip or Powerbox if I can afford it, what d'you think?

1998FTW
04-04-2007, 10:19 AM
Ive been driving a 1998 110 for about 7-8 months. Its not to bad in 3rd and 4th and it does have enough grunt for most overtakes on country roads, you just have to give yourself enough room. As for when you are cruising on the motorway it will sit quite happily all the way up to 90 and pulls pretty well between 60 and 90 in 5th.

Granted it hasn't had a new airflow sensor in it in a couple of years (will be putting one on in the next few weeks).

I have found this car absolutly excellent for long distance journeys, it eats motorway easily and does it with style and comfort.

Its no sports car, but it is probably the most comfortable car i will ever own.

All this and 50-60mpg :P

Eshrules
04-04-2007, 10:22 AM
glad to hear you seem to have sorted it.... thats the one thing you have to bear in mind, it isn't a brand new spanker and the passat isnt a light car....:beerchug:

redmax90
18-07-2008, 11:47 AM
i think its just a big car thats the simple issue. A VAG engine should go better with 148k on it as its well loosened up..esp as your car has a full service history. Try and get your self a good powerbox for it if u need the extra oomph ..other than that just bear with it. 148k on a vw engine thats been looked after is just broken in. :)

hongkongstuey
18-07-2008, 05:14 PM
i think its just a big car thats the simple issue. A VAG engine should go better with 148k on it as its well loosened up..esp as your car has a full service history. Try and get your self a good powerbox for it if u need the extra oomph ..other than that just bear with it. 148k on a vw engine thats been looked after is just broken in. :)

when i got mine it felt ok fsh with 64k (3 months ago)

since then

cam belt
service, all filters,oil etc
new maf
new coolant temp sensor
new fuel temp sensor
ccc-tech (upsolute) chip from 110hp to 143hp

did average of 50 ish mpg before chip, 52 ish after, now ive done fuel temp sensor it got figure in my signature today an running a lot more smoothly