PDA

View Full Version : MPG Difference between GT & SE

JCClem
04-06-2009, 08:58 PM
When I opted for the 160 hp 1.4 over the 122 hp model, one selling point was the small difference in mpg between the two + the extra power etc. etc. I've only filled up twice and am getting about 38-40mpg (based on topping the tank not the computor. How does this compare in the real world with you people?

1.4GT DSg

Early-1800
04-06-2009, 09:37 PM
Driving around Northern France last week, sticking to speed limits and with empty-ish roads 110 TDI SE was regularly showing 60+mpg on trip computer. And in France Diesel is quite a bit cheaper than petrol. Even in UK a few stations are selling Diesel 1-2p cheaper these days.

Back in Blightly and stuck in motorway traffic and city centres it's still showing 50-55mpg most of the time.

Next time its filled up I will double check the trip computer reading with a proper calculation.

maisbitt
05-06-2009, 08:39 AM
It all depends whether you use those extra 38PS all the time. If you generally don't then you won't notice much penalty over the 122PS version. Some people could even see an improvement over the lower powered model if they don't change their driving style as the higher powered version doesn't have to try as hard to do the same.

40mpg on the 160TSI is about as good as it gets around the doors - on a long motorway journey at a pretty constant 70-80mph you might get 45mpg on a trip.

Although some people will cane their 122PS version and wonder why the mpg is crap. There is someone one here that seemed disappointed that their 122PS with DSG didn't have launch control, why would anything with 122PS have launch control? No amount of electronic trickery is going to give a relatively heavy car (for its size) such as a Golf a fast pull-away with 122PS

Trim level with the same engine output and same gearbox should have negligible difference to economy. If everything under the bonnet is the same, the only thing that will influence performance and economy is weight differences between the trim levels - and you're probably talking 10kg difference at most.

nebw
05-06-2009, 09:05 AM
The GT does have wider standard tyres: 225/45 17 as opposed to 205/55 16. That will make a small difference, but of course you can put a set of 16s on if you want (and probably improve low speed ride and aquaplaning resistance slightly into the bargain).

golfman2
05-06-2009, 01:59 PM
I have a 2.0tdi gt and have just done 1000 mles.I used to have an audi a3 2.0 tdi se and I find that they are around the same in fuel consumption,even though I was told the golf was a lighter car and would probably better the audi.I do a lot of city driving and on a full tank I am getting between 400-500 mlies.What I have noticed is that at low speeds in the audi I could drive in sixth gear a lot easier than the golf.At 30-40mph in the golf I am in 4th -5th gear where I would be easily in 6th in th audi.Also when the computor was saying 40 -50 miles left to travel,all of a sudden it dropped to 10 miles within minutes making me panic that I wouldn't even get to a garage to fill up.Any body else notice this??

maisbitt
05-06-2009, 02:12 PM
I find the fuel guage on the Golf( and Scirocco) to not be very linear - from full to empty, you get 2/3 of your miles within 1/2 an indicated tank, after 1/2 way the miles left drop off very quickly, and once it is on the warning (generally 45 miles left, for me) i'm lucky if I get 25 miles more from the first indication of 45 miles left to zero indicated miles left.

There is approximately 4 litres of fuel in reserve when the car range is "0 miles".

The Scirocco TDI (and I assume the MK6 Golf too) are geared a lot taller than they used to be. At 80mph a MK5 Golf TDI was doing 2200rpm, in a 140CR Scirocco, at 80mph, its about 2020rpm. It all helps the economy.

nebw
05-06-2009, 02:21 PM
Golfman2 - your engine also needs to run in. I would expect performance and economy to improve noticeably over the first 5k miles.

The Fingers
05-06-2009, 03:06 PM
I find the fuel guage on the Golf( and Scirocco) to not be very linear - from full to empty, you get 2/3 of your miles within 1/2 an indicated tank, after 1/2 way the miles left drop off very quickly, and once it is on the warning (generally 45 miles left, for me) i'm lucky if I get 25 miles more from the first indication of 45 miles left to zero indicated miles left.

There is approximately 4 litres of fuel in reserve when the car range is "0 miles".

The Scirocco TDI (and I assume the MK6 Golf too) are geared a lot taller than they used to be. At 80mph a MK5 Golf TDI was doing 2200rpm, in a 140CR Scirocco, at 80mph, its about 2020rpm. It all helps the economy.

I have done 35 Miles in a 2.0TDI 140 DSG passat when showing zero miles

Needless to say i was shaking like a sh*tting dog by the time i saw the BP sign:biglaugh:

machine
05-06-2009, 03:32 PM
I have done 35 Miles in a 2.0TDI 140 DSG passat when showing zero miles

I once managed nearly 90 with a range of 0 in my old tdi ibiza.

All in the inside lane, tucked up behind a lorry with the aircon off.

The Fingers
05-06-2009, 03:42 PM
I once managed nearly 90 with a range of 0 in my old tdi ibiza.

All in the inside lane, tucked up behind a lorry with the aircon off.

90 miles man thats pushing it, any further and i think you may have been.:biglaugh:

I must admit when i had done 35 miles i rocked the car and could still hear a couple of litres of fuel sloshing around.

golfman2
05-06-2009, 03:50 PM
:confused:Do you expect that I should at least have 20 miles around town with approx 4 litres of fuel left even when the computer says 0 miles?

The Fingers
05-06-2009, 03:59 PM
:confused:Do you expect that I should at least have 20 miles around town with approx 4 litres of fuel left even when the computer says 0 miles?

I would say a definate YES - but hey if you end up pushing its not my fault:biglaugh:

did you see the TOP GEAR where they drove for somewhere in europe to blackpool to turn on the lights.

I think the Bluemotion polo that 'The Hamster' was driving went on zero and he still got about 60 miles out of it and it was still going.

Give it a try run into station on zero and then open fuel tank and rock the car, it sounds as though there is loads left.

machine
05-06-2009, 04:16 PM
90 miles man thats pushing it, any further and i think you may have been.:biglaugh:

I must admit when i had done 35 miles i rocked the car and could still hear a couple of litres of fuel sloshing around.

I did wonder if I'd made a stupid decision but when I pulled off the motorway and finally got to a petrol station I mustadmit I did have a smug grin on my face.

Do you expect that I should at least have 20 miles around town with approx 4 litres of fuel left even when the computer says 0 miles?

yes, the range is calculated on the last 30 miles of driving I think rather than actual fuel used since the tank was filled.

So you can actually increase the range by driving with a light right foot.

VictorPapa
06-06-2009, 12:44 PM
did you see the TOP GEAR where they drove for somewhere in europe to blackpool to turn on the lights.

Clarkson did something similar in a big Audi....Scotland to London IIRC. Drove for miles on zero.

iallen1@btinter
09-06-2009, 09:45 PM
last week on the motorway my trip was showing 55.1 mpg 1,4 122bhp se, pretty good that is, no point in a diesel

maisbitt
10-06-2009, 09:07 AM
What was your actual mpg though? I have just shown in another post that my indicated trip 2 mpg over a tank fill was 11% higher than the actual mpg when manually calculated.

See:
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=71190&goto=newpost (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=71190&goto=newpost)

It would be interesting to see if the differential is linked to all VAG engines and not just the TDIs. For anyone that generally fills their car right up every time they go to a forecourt, it is easy to do.

Fill the car up, reset your trip 2 mpg (if you have midline or highline computer) and reset your mileage trip meter. Run your car until you need to fill up. Then fill up again, divide the number of litres into 4.54 to get it into gallons. Divide your trip miles by the number of gallons and compare with the indicated trip 2 mpg reading.

If the TSIs are accurate between indicated and actual, and the TDIs are overstated by 10% then there probably is no point in having a TDI over a TSI.