PDA

View Full Version : Question Cam Belt Change/Blower motor

Superdave
04-06-2009, 02:48 PM
Got an 05 plate Golf 2.0 GTTDi with automatic climate control.

4yrs old last March, 67000 on the clock.

Been into main dealer for diagnostic on inoperative ventlator fan (no blower all lights light up on controls).

As apart of 'health checks' they carried out in addition to diagnostic, they identified a lot of other work they advise is necessary. (Brakes, tyres (knew about), leaky turbo hose etc.)

Diagnostics came back that the heater box fan requires replacement £290.07 including labour and VAT. Turbo hose £84.81 inc. VAT and labour.
The brakes and stuff I can get done cheaper elswhere.

Appended to the list was Cambelt Kit @ £ 359.89

Two questions:
1. Is the price for the heater fan and turbo hose about right - want them fixing sooner rather than later. (I know I could shop around for a cheaper quote but a couple of independents have already proven useless in finding the fault! I lack confidence in them.)
2. Manual has cambelt change @ 80000 miles, 13000 still to go. Garage said that it should be changed after 4 years irrespective of mileage. This is not in manual. Is this correct?

Looking forward to any help.

Dave

Ben
04-06-2009, 02:55 PM
cambelt is 4 years.

years won't change but everyone has different driving needs so their mileage will be more or less than 80000.

Mine was done at its 4 year mark. Its a '53 plate and i've done 77000 ish miles to date.

peter warren
05-06-2009, 11:38 AM
priced a cambelt & waterpump kit last week in Colmar (Alsace) it was 380euro
i thought it might have been cheaper than I can get in Australia it wasnt in fact it was far more expensive -like double - cant figure that out, hit a six in Colmar and it would land in Germany so cant be freight costs that effect the price

peteo
06-06-2009, 09:39 AM
There have been several threads about Cam belt change intervals. In my manual there is, like the OP's, no mention at all about time limits. It is supposed to be done at 80,000.

I first asked my VAG main dealer in April (the car was 4 then with 27,000 (ish) on the clock) The service receptionist said it DID NOT need doing.

I have just had the car serviced - £175 which included a brake fluid change - not bad in my book. I decided to return to the issue of the cam belt change again. The service manager was equivocal. He said that the idea of the 4 year cambelt change DID NOT COME FROM THE FACTORY but did, indeed, come from VW UK. He intimated that there was some disagreement amongst VAG dealers and service agents about the necessity for a change. VW UK argue that 4 years is safe because of "different driving conditions" in the UK compared to Germany - ie more short journeys, less autobahn stuff.

I asked him how many wrecked engines he saw in a year from snapping cambelts and he said 1 or 2 at the outside. He said it is actually more common to see one of the tensioners fail.

Edited to include - my car is an 05 Golf 1.9TDI

So no clear advice, leaving it very much up to me. He did quote me £330 "all in" for the fitting of a new cambelt kit including tensioners which compares very well even with some independents I have looked at.

I am going to have it done soon to be on the safe side.

RickT
06-06-2009, 10:31 AM
Does that £330 include the water pump as well??

Take a look at our section, Dealers, Independents & Breakers http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43

Cheers

Rick

peteo
07-06-2009, 03:29 PM
Not sure about the water pump. I didn't ask. He just said that there was a Cambelt kit they used including the belt and the tensioners. I might check cos I have read you might as well do the pump at the same time. Even to my untechnical brain that makes sense.