PDA

View Full Version : Transmission/Power Problems

firket2000
03-06-2009, 07:10 PM
What I have:

1997 Audi A6 quattro automatic transmission 112,197 miles

The Problem:

I recently had a remote starter putt into my 1997 A6. It worked fine for two days. On the third day I put it into vale mode (turn on the remote starter then pull out the keys and the car stays running) for the first time. I went into the store came out and put the keys in and started it up. From that time on the electronic automatic transmission hasn't shifted properly. If I'm in 2nd 3rd or drive it wont go into gear till I hit 4000 RPMs. Once I reach the 4000 RPMs it jerks into gear and goes fine. It will up shift and down shift with out any issue at all. If I have to come to a complete stop the whole process happens again. If I do a rolling stop there is still no issue. When the car is in 1st gear it drives fine and doesn't need to rev up at all and just smoothly goes from a stand still. There have also been some power issues that started at the same time. My battery voltage fluctuates between about 8 and 12 volts when ever the transmission goes to shift. It now also won't start with out being jumped.

What I've tried:

I started off with taking it to my local certified Audi shop. (this is the first time I had been there since I only bought the car six months ago) The said that the only two codes that were showing up were Left rear wheel speed sensor (00753) and the brake light switch (00526). They then pin tested the transmission control module and found no evidence of moisture contamination. They never checked out any of the power problems and decided that it had to be a bad transmission and wanted $4800.00 to replace it, but even said that may not fix it. So I chose to not do that at this time. I then took it and had the remote starter disconnected to see if that would make any difference. Next I had the batter tested to make sure that it didn't need to be replaced. It is a good battery.

At this point I'm at a lost, but don't think that all of these problems are independent and unrelated to the remote starter. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. If there is any other info needed I would be happy to provide it.