PDA

View Full Version : 1.8 TFSi Noisy at idle [Video]

Nano Jake
02-06-2009, 09:02 PM
I have noticed my 09 A4 1.8TFSi is a bit noisy at idle. The car only has 500 miles on it so far. Check my youtube vid and let me know if this sounds correct?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOAr8boNzWU

Jake.

73kingstonroad
02-06-2009, 09:31 PM
Hi...

Sounds a bit like a diesel engine, But so did my Mk5 Golf GTI.
Does it sound as bad from inside or is it only noticeable from the outside.
There are plenty of threads about this on the golf GTI forum.

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk

Here's one... http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=115268.0

And another... http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=88202.0

Have you tried using 98RON petrol.

Martin

Nano Jake
02-06-2009, 10:03 PM
I cannot really hear it from the inside except for a slight ticking when radio etc is off and parked. I havent tried 98ron fuel yet as its only done 500 miles and still runinng in. Cannot see the point in paying for 98ron when I dont go above 3k rpm!!

73kingstonroad
02-06-2009, 10:30 PM
I cannot really hear it from the inside except for a slight ticking when radio etc is off and parked. I havent tried 98ron fuel yet as its only done 500 miles and still runinng in. Cannot see the point in paying for 98ron when I dont go above 3k rpm!!

Have you been able to read the threads that I'd posted as I think you've HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD. The ticking you can hear is the fuel injectors firing.
As for 98RON petrol, you can try it anytime you like. The TFSI engines run best on this stuff, But can also run on 95RON.

Martin

Nano Jake
02-06-2009, 10:36 PM
Have you been able to read the threads that I'd posted as I think you've HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD. The ticking you can hear is the fuel injectors firing.
As for 98RON petrol, you can try it anytime you like. The TFSI engines run best on this stuff, But can also run on 95RON.

Martin
Yes I did read through those threads. Does sound like the same issue, to me though it sounds more like a metallic knocking than injector ticking but then maybe I am just not used to this type of engine and a bit paranoid as its a new car developing new noises as it gets used more.

mkc
03-06-2009, 02:11 PM
Im glad someone has posted this, because I couldnt be bothered and thought it was just me.

I stood at the door of our house a few days ago as my Mrs started up my 1.8, adjusted the seat and drove off. It sounds like a bag of spanners........never heard before as im always inside the car!

I have noticed that when it starts up it makes one noise and then 30 seconds later the tone changes and there is a rattle from the exhaust and some weird noises coming from under the drivers door, petrol pump I guess. Car drives fine and where possible always use Super Unleaded 99. Sounds like a diesel sometimes and I was suprised at the noise from such a new car

Just watched your video and it sounds the same as mine

Nano Jake
03-06-2009, 02:31 PM
Im glad someone has posted this, because I couldnt be bothered and thought it was just me.

I stood at the door of our house a few days ago as my Mrs started up my 1.8, adjusted the seat and drove off. It sounds like a bag of spanners........never heard before as im always inside the car!

I have noticed that when it starts up it makes one noise and then 30 seconds later the tone changes and there is a rattle from the exhaust and some weird noises coming from under the drivers door, petrol pump I guess. Car drives fine and where possible always use Super Unleaded 99. Sounds like a diesel sometimes and I was suprised at the noise from such a new car

Just watched your video and it sounds the same as mine

Well at least it means we dont have a problem. How many miles has yours done? I wonder if it gets better as its run in...

mkc
03-06-2009, 02:32 PM
Well at least it means we dont have a problem. How many miles has yours done? I wonder if it gets better as its run in...

just under 7000 now, delivered on the 1st September 08.

Nano Jake
03-06-2009, 02:35 PM
That blows my theory out of the water! Can you hear a ticking noise from inside? I can when on the drive with radio off.

Hillbeley
03-06-2009, 05:43 PM
I ran a 3.2FSi Passat SEL 4Motion for 65K miles and that sounded like a diesel at Idle from the outside - but it was virtually silent inside and quietened down to nothing when you moved off (except for the V6 exhaust note - lurvely).
I am waiting for a 2.0TFSi A4 Avant multitronic and I have read it is noisy too. I couldn't find one at a dealer to test, so taking a leap into the dark.

JJAvant
03-06-2009, 09:06 PM
I have done over 10k miles in my 1.8TFSi Avant and it still sounds rough every morning when I start it up but within about a minute the sound has changed completely and it settles down to a what to me is a normal petrol engine sound.

I think this must be a characteristic of the FSI engines as my wife's A3 1.4T is exactly the same.

I had a 1.8T in my previous A4 and this engine is definitely smoother and feels more powerful. The fuel econmy is improving and mated to the multitronic box, when you drop it into sport mode it really flies with a nice growl from the exhaust.

tlionhart
05-06-2009, 11:31 PM
my a3 1.4 t fsi sounds like this. Inside the car you could only hear it slightly (radio, etc turned off) Outside it was noisy a bit like that. Took it to Audi who were more than happy to come out and hear it on the day. The technician knew exactly what it was and pointed the component out to me. Its the fuel injectors. In a diesel its louder. (i noticed that if you tapped the accelerator it makes a ticking sorta sound?) He also said some can sound a little louder than other similar engines...simply because each engine has it's own life.

He just said i wouldn't be use to it if it's my first T FSI engine. But glad that sorted it and drove away feeling relieved. I think it gets quieter at about 2000k. Don't quote me but i just don't hear the engine or i seem to blank it out...so it can't be that bad.

Best thing is, you paid for it take it in. Just tell the service dept before going to see if someone could 'quickly' pop out and hear it and let you know what the next action is. They were more than happy to help and said any other noises i thought sounded 'strange' come back. I didn't find anything wrong with the performance just the sound of the injectors.

As for the other comments about the noise from the exhaust. Like a "chug chug" sound. I have experienced this on both the new and last audi. Usually on a cold start up. (if the car hasn't been driven for a few days or when i get in it in the morning) Sound lasts for 2-3mins? then idles down.

As I mentioned, its under warranty so if your in doubt get it checked.