PDA

View Full Version : Thats it!! I'm ignoring that warning light!!!!

Lis
02-06-2009, 10:26 AM
Some of you may remember my car has cost me lots of £££'s since its service at the end of March, (full service + 2tyres + alternator pulley = £425, then suspension spring = £125):(:(

Oh nearly forgot, the £30 to sort out the tracking too.

THEN the warning lights came on, the orange coil warning light and another one - triangle with exclaimation mark in the middle.:confused:

Took it to garage (different one) where it proceeded to cost me £80 for a fault read and a new coolant switch.:(

That was 2 weeks ago yesterday.

On Sunday the orange coil light came back on again!!! :zx11::zx11::zx11::zx11:

I am damn sick of it now and it can flash at me all it likes i got that sorted 2 weeks ago and i'm not taking it back AGAIN!! :aargh4::aargh4::aargh4::aargh4:

Driving me mental at the moment!

kite
02-06-2009, 10:47 AM
Check your brake lights....

Lis
02-06-2009, 10:48 AM
Already done that and they are working, thought that might be what it was as thats what that symbol was showing up to mean on the fault read .:confused:

Think my car is just stupid with mind of its own! :zx11:

Hex69
02-06-2009, 11:09 AM
Already done that and they are working, thought that might be what it was as thats what that symbol was showing up to mean on the fault read .:confused:

Think my car is just stupid with mind of its own! :zx11:

It's female then......:D

Runs and hides....:burnout:

RickT
02-06-2009, 11:33 AM
Diesel??

Glow plug error?

Rick

MalcQV
02-06-2009, 12:29 PM
Should imagine you are getting pretty ****** off with it at present.

hagis
02-06-2009, 12:58 PM
You've had rotten luck with that car.

Lis
02-06-2009, 01:31 PM
I'm beginning to wonder if something upset the computer when it was reset for the service?:confused:

They cleared the faults 2weeks ago so why have they come back on again? :confused:

Its cost me loads since March but not a penny (other than MOT and tax) before then, and i got it last July. So it managed 8/9months of nothing going wrong. Just seems to be every other week now since the service :(

I thought glow plug as thats what the manual says, but the computer read on it said that symbol meant faulty brake light switch. Which is bizarre because OH has a Golf and at the same time the same coil symbol was flashing on his, his fault read came up with a dodgy immobiliser on his key and he needs to get another key cut. So guess the manual is a load of rubbish when it comes to identifying the problems by the warning lights!

hagis
02-06-2009, 01:35 PM
It may just be the brake light switch itself. It goes funny on my A4 now and again (not happened for months now though, touch wood) and my brake lights would stay on. Stopping the car and restarting it would be enough to clear.

Crasher
02-06-2009, 01:44 PM
Donít ignore the light, get it code read again and compare the code(s) with last time, the light can come on for dozens of different reasons. We get this quite a lot. A car will come in with the light on, we read it and it has, say for example, a faulty coolant temp sender. Then three weeks later the customer rings up yelling that it has come back on so it is not fixed and we have not done the job properly but when they come back in it is a another fault completely. They still donít believe you though, even with a side by side printout of the two code reads, it is one of those things, the public donít trust garages.

NickPicks
02-06-2009, 01:48 PM
If you'd posted this last week, I'd have offered to read the codes for you, as I was down in Folkestone, but I'm back in Buckinghamshire now.

Is there anyone else around your way that can do it? Otherwise, as Crasher says, best to get the codes read to see what's wrong with it.

Lis
02-06-2009, 01:55 PM
Is it like one fault sets off a whole series of faults or what? :confused::mad: It was fine for months!!! I can't afford to keep taking it back to the garage every time it starts flashing a light at me, they will charge me £50 just to plug it into the computer and tell me what it says this time around! :(

They told me it was the brake light switch i think, but as my brake lights were still working fine they just changed the coolant switch.

hagis
02-06-2009, 01:58 PM
They can just go, it's a common problem with them. Mine first came on when I had to stamp on the brakes when an old codger rounded a corner on my side of the road. It happened a few times after that but I've not had any problem for a while now. I think a new switch is about £10-15 and isn't too difficult to fit.

NickPicks
02-06-2009, 02:18 PM
I think the brake light switch has 2 sets of contacts - one to operate the brake lights and another to tell the computer that the brake is being pushed. If it's the other one, then you might be seeing the brake lights, but the computer doesn't know it's operating.

paul b
02-06-2009, 03:05 PM
The best thing to do is look at the following thread, kindly compiled by Big Col.

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=5319

Lis, you could always pay a visit to a local member with VAG-COM who could scan your car. This way, you don't have to pay dealer/garage prices (but a token gesture would be very much appreciated), and you don't have to travel far. With the small matter of being able to find out what is causing the light and therefore... the problem.

I've spotted at least 2 people in Kent on the 1st page of the thread. If they're willing to help of course. ;)

Not sure which light you have on, but if its the ESP/ABS light, it means they don't work at all.

Lis
02-06-2009, 04:28 PM
Thanks, have PM'd someone i think is near me... not sure if they are still online much though. :confused:

The brake lights do work at the moment, i checked yesterday, and i mean checked as in made someone sit in the car while i went behind car and looked! :p

Its not on continually, i drove 10miles on Sunday, then about 5miles home then it came on for about 2miles and went off again! :confused:

paulthefox
02-06-2009, 08:11 PM
think its time you invested in shareware version of vag-com then with the help of guys on here they could give you info on some of your problems:beerchug:

paul