PDA

View Full Version : Bike rack for Mk 6

fishyweb
31-05-2009, 11:28 AM
Has anyone fitted a boot-lid-mounted bike rack to their Mk 6 Golf hatchback yet? If so, what model rack have you used?

intenselife
01-06-2009, 01:53 AM
Hi Fishyweb, I'm looking for the same type of rack.
I need to be able to carry either 2 xc bikes or 1 downhill bike(when I can get my wife to shuttle me). What bikes do you need to carry?
Cheers
Michael

fishyweb
01-06-2009, 08:25 AM
I need to carry 2 x MTBs, possibly with a kid's bike if one of teh grandkids is coming out with us. Also need to be abkle to carry my road bike, probably by itself.

I'm starting to regret not having specified a factory-fitted tow bar, as there are some good racks that would have been possible then. Lack of foresight on my part :-( I may end up getting a roof-mounted carrier if I can't find a foolproof boot-mounted carrier.

RickT
01-06-2009, 10:29 AM
I cant comment on which type of rack, but i perfer the roof bars, it keeps any marking off the paint work..

Also.. think about this..
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=70254

Rick

petach
04-07-2009, 07:26 PM
I got a 3 bike rack made by Hollywood. 69 quid. 2 straps at top of hatch, one each side and 2 on rear valance. Th valance ones obviously take no load, they are there to stabilise the rack. Fits perfectly. The only thing I may do is to put some rubber under the top straps as they lay across the spoiler.

Apparently though, doesn't fit the Gti. Mine is an SE, so cushty.

fishyweb
05-07-2009, 08:52 AM
In the end, I decided to go for Thule roof bars. And they work a treat. :approve:

Nightowl4933
12-07-2009, 11:15 AM
Ooh, I didn't like the Thule bars. The foot fittings didn't look too great, and I thought it was a bit high above the roof - not that it matters of you're over 6', of course :D

My work provided a set of VW roofbars for me (they want me to put stuff on the car) but they're very similar to Thule - apart from the feet. I wonder if they manufacture the VW ones?

Pete

Blackthorn
13-07-2009, 09:49 AM
How much did the Thule ones work out at?
I priced up the VW offering, which for the bars and two bike racks was around £200. I'm hoping to negotiate some sort of deal due to the excessive delays on my car, but it would be good to have a point of comparison.

james_tiger_woo
13-07-2009, 10:31 AM
I've just got a boot mounted mid range Halford special - I'll be fitting it to the bike tonight to give it a test - I'll try to get photos to show how it fits.

Robbie G
13-07-2009, 12:28 PM
Regarding bootlid-mounted bike racks, surely they are designed so as to clear the rear wiper? Auto rear wiper or not, people may need to be able to operate the rear wiper without worrying about it hitting the rack and I would have thought the first point on the design specfication list when the marketers / engineers sit down to say 'let's build a bike rack' would be, 'make sure it doesn't foul the rear wiper'!

fishyweb
13-07-2009, 12:39 PM
The Thule bars came in at around £200 from http://www.skidrive.co.uk/

Blackthorn
25-08-2009, 09:08 AM
How easy is it to take the roof bars on and off? I'll only be using mine infrequently so hadn't planned on leaving them on there, but the price my dealer has quoted me "includes fitting" which imples they're a more permenant fixture.

dieselduncmk6
25-08-2009, 10:27 AM
How easy is it to take the roof bars on and off? I'll only be using mine infrequently so hadn't planned on leaving them on there, but the price my dealer has quoted me "includes fitting" which imples they're a more permenant fixture.

Thule roof bars take about 15 mins to get on, being careful to avoid scratching / distortion, and a little less to remove.

They're a good, well designed system. I run the bars for a roofbox.

Dunc.

Nightowl4933
26-08-2009, 08:09 PM
The vw genuine roof bars are about £150, and the cycle carrier about £80

But they're probably manufactured for vw by th!

Gilesme
26-08-2009, 09:32 PM
as I'm sure you subscribe to Autoexpress magazine, try www.roofbox.co.uk/autoexpress - just over £100 for Thule bars delivered.

Then couple with some of these, and away you go....

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.204-5365.aspx

(The Rep button is down there on the left..... ;-))

SebbyMK6
26-08-2009, 11:05 PM
Right actually! :p

bassmandan
27-08-2009, 02:19 PM
Would there be any reason to get the official VW bars over a set of Thule bars?

dimucci
27-08-2009, 07:42 PM
I can highly recommend these, from Thule:

http://www.thule.com/Thule/ProductPage____83154.aspx

And no, the rear wiper operation is not affected.

Nightowl4933
27-08-2009, 07:49 PM
Would there be any reason to get the official VW bars over a set of Thule bars?

I was provided a set of Thule bars to mount a light, but the VW ones are more sleek. The mounting brackets on the VW ones don't leave the mounting mechanism on display (i.e. the brackets that clamp the top of the door frame)

I also get the impression they sit slightly lower on the roof.