PDA

View Full Version : ESP fault light..........air bags?

mowjoe
31-05-2009, 11:05 AM
Hi all

My daughters 2001 Beetle has the ESP warning light showing on the dash. She was told she needs a new Yaw sensor device (by I think a VW dealer) and would cost around £350 to supply and fit.

Also it was mentioned that the air bags might NOT deploy until this is repaired.

Anyone know is this true?

Cheers

MJ

lavajava
02-06-2009, 03:05 PM
The Yaw rate sensor is usually to do with the ESP (Electronic Stability Program) and not Airbag!!

Have you got a seperate SRS warning light fitted? If this illuminates with ignition on and goes out on start up then your SRS/ Airbag system is opperative meaning airbags will be deployed in event of an accident.

Check your handbook for warning lights to see if you have a seperate light.

Hope this helps.

Jitterbug
16-09-2009, 05:46 PM
True but many systems will use the input from the yaw (and other) sensors to determine if an accident is occurring so I think the guy was partially correct, a duff yaw sensor will stop the car detecting certain kinds of accident which may delay the airbags deploying until some other sensor triggers them such as the impact sensors etc.

I wouldn't expect a duff yaw sensor to totally stop any airbag deployment though.

martin1810
16-09-2009, 07:35 PM
I am not an expert but as far as I am aware there is no Yaw sender connected to the airbag system. The only yaw sender I have come across is used in the electric handbrake mechanism on some cars. If your daughter asks for the code read results you could post them here.

shark_90
16-09-2009, 10:21 PM
There is no direct connection however I can see a logical link between the two.

I think £350 is very steep!

martin1810
17-09-2009, 09:09 AM
I still think yaw senser is only for abs brakes and I don't believe airbags stop working when airbag light is on. I think the faulty airbag won't deploy but the rest will. I hope I never have to find out if I'm right.

Jitterbug
17-09-2009, 09:48 PM
I hope I never have to find out if I'm right.

Ha! Yes you don´t want personal experience of being right or wrong on that one :biglaugh: