PDA

View Full Version : auto hold

villager
31-05-2009, 08:39 AM
I just cannot get on with this auto hold feature. It comes on when you least expect it usually as you pull away from a junction leaving you exposed. Its always tricky to disengage it and I really wish I had bought the DSG version. Has anyone had problems with autohold?

Reynger
07-06-2009, 03:48 PM
-

Wainfleetworld
18-06-2009, 11:16 AM
With regards to the problems experienced with auto-hold my experience has been totally different. I have driven both the DSG and manual CC's and can honestly say that neither caused an issue with the auto-hold.

I, like some others, may have had a preconceived idea that this was a gadget/part that would not do what I wanted, but I was impressed. I have to say that I spent a good 30 minutes getting to know the limit of the system i.e. how much pressure needed to be applied to get the brake to be 'on', and I did this in a car park with nothing else about (good job really as it did catch me out a couple ot times). On both cars I changed the setting so that the auto-hold was permanently 'on' (there is a setting in the menu to do this). This means that when you approach a junction, you apply sufficient pressure to the brake and the system will automatically put the park brake on. I found this much easier to predict than lifting the button manually and trying to see whether it came on or not!!!

The car I have ordered is a manual, as the DSG was a bit too much on the lease. But I will be happy with the auto-hold on the car, when it arrives !!!:beerchug:

Kenny Boy 2
22-06-2009, 05:14 PM
Hi there,
I'm a new member and I am experiencing difficulties with my auto hold, my car a 2008 Passat 2.0 Highline diesel. It's now in the main agent [for the third time], the auto hold keeps engaging when leaving traffic lights or a road junction and has sometimes not dis-engaged when setting off. A local taxi driver told me he witnessed a main agent recovering a vehicle due to the fact they [or the AA] could not dis-engage it at the roadside. Anyone else with similar difficulties or similar experiences

Thanks Kenny Boy 2

Wainfleetworld
23-06-2009, 04:38 PM
Sounds rather an alarming situation. I have several friends and colleagues with this system, but have not heard of anything like this. What has the dealer told you? I assume they are sorting the problem out for you?

Gunn1
28-07-2009, 11:15 PM
I have a Passat Sport 2.0 Petrol (not CC) with Auto Hold. Have to say that Ive not experienced any problem with it and find it useful when in traffic on hills.

My brother has the same vehicle but an auto estate and he experiences a `judder` when moving off with the auto hold engaged.

His vehicle has been in the dealers twice to rectify but the problem still exists.

I have a CC on order so will be interested to see how the auto hold performs on this.

Foxy
03-08-2009, 11:02 PM
Not much help I know, but I think the AH is great (with DSG), did take a little getting used to. No probs here.

taylora
12-08-2009, 12:46 PM
Never use Auto Hold on our DSG diesel estate unless I'm going to be stopped at a set of lights or a traffic jam for a while. When trying to reverse or creep forwards on an incline it's the worst thing ever as it grabs the brakes. Combine that with the jerky slow speed response of the DSG and reverse parking on a slope generates much laughter and pointing from passers by as you kangeroo your way into a space.

Hillbeley
14-08-2009, 10:27 PM
I had a 3.2 4Motion DSG estate for 65k Miles, after 25K the Auto Hold failed, due to a faulty parking brake button, which would strand the car at traffic lights. However, overall it was great, especially when towing my boat using the 2250kg limit.
I have recently taken delivery of an A4 2.0T Multitronic Avant and I specified auto hold and after 4000 miles I am totally happy with having to pay for the auto hold on my lease car (in contrast to the car overall at the moment).

hburnett
13-03-2010, 11:42 PM
I find it really good - after getting used to it!

The one critism I do have is coming down a steep hill and having to give way to traffic coming up, it was a 'interesting' trying to get it out of AH whilst having a car infront of you...

All in all, I'm happy with AH.. There is an option to turn if off on the settings menu in the dashboard?! If that's any help...
H

Deetees
01-04-2010, 11:41 PM
I've got AH and DSG, and a very narrow inclined drive-way. When I first got the CC the AH drove me nuts as it would keep coming on as I crept up the drive between the gateposts, so I would bounce up the drive like a demented kangaroo, much to the neighbours' amusement.

I then discovered that if I undo the seatbelt first, then I can creep up the drive nice and smoothly as the AH is disabled. Similalrly when faffing about parking in small spaces.

gamichea
02-04-2010, 01:45 PM
I then discovered that if I undo the seatbelt first, then I can creep up the drive nice and smoothly as the AH is disabled. Similalrly when faffing about parking in small spaces.

Via the MFD menus you can set AH to only activate when the centre console button is pressed. The same constraints apply as for AH automatically on at start up, i.e. ESP on, drivers door closed and seatbelt on.

Personally I much prefer automatically on even with my manual 'box. When I brake to a halt I know the car is being held securely without me having to think about the parking brake and no need to risk dazzling the driver behind with my brake lights.

shaggydancer
03-04-2010, 07:41 PM
I am beginning to wonder it this is down to differences in the sensitivity of the sensors. I too have DSG an I keep the AH on all the time with absolutely no problems what so ever.o

When moving off I just have to touch the accelerator to get the AH to disengage and I have no issues with it coming on when I do not want it too. I can reverse up my drive way, which is on a slight slope, with my foot off the accelerator covering the brake.

Having read this and other forums I was certainly concerned about this functionality, but now that I have tried it I have to say it is one of the best features on the car.

hburnett
12-05-2010, 10:27 PM
Just figured out that if you press the button in the middle it switches it off too!! DOPE<>..:Blush:

Shadow CC
13-05-2010, 09:50 AM
I'm in unimpressed camp as well. So much so that I turn it off in the settings menu and then just push the button next to the gearstick if I stop on a hill and need some handbrake. I then know it's on and that I need a bit more accelerator umph when pulling off.

Shocking to say, but the handbrake thing was the reason why by wife bought a Mazda6 estate instead of the Passat. Oh and it looks better!

Shadow CC